Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

On a brief visit to the UK, I am noticing.....

Wikiposts

On a brief visit to the UK, I am noticing.....

Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default On a brief visit to the UK, I am noticing.....

......... that people are even more depressed - and for some perhaps not unconnected reason, more verbally aggressive - than I can ever remember.

I have yet to meet anyone on either this or my last visit a few weeks ago who seems to be confident about their or the country's future prospects. The number of people in the papers and on radio phone-ins, etc, who would 'leave the country for good if they could' seems huge. (Not sure why they can't do so, but you get my point).

On the tube in from LHR, I witnessed two quite heated arguments about minor stuff (one bloke's luggage was 'touching' another bloke's, for example ).

The Ross/Brand thing may just be an indirect symptom of this - a need to create something that distracts from everyday misery?

The government is the most hated - no, not 'unpopular', but hated - of all time, and will get wiped out in favour of another lot who will quickly become unpopular, followed by hated.

End of whinge. I could go on in the same vein for hours........
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:24 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On a brief visit to the UK, I am noticing.....

and I bet everyone is dressed in black, grey, navy? not a flash of pink in sight
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:27 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
......... that people are even more depressed - and for some perhaps not unconnected reason, more verbally aggressive - than I can ever remember.

I have yet to meet anyone on either this or my last visit a few weeks ago who seems to be confident about their or the country's future prospects. The number of people in the papers and on radio phone-ins, etc, who would 'leave the country for good if they could' seems huge. (Not sure why they can't do so, but you get my point).

On the tube in from LHR, I witnessed two quite heated arguments about minor stuff (one bloke's luggage was 'touching' another bloke's, for example ).

The Ross/Brand thing may just be an indirect symptom of this - a need to create something that distracts from everyday misery?

The government is the most hated - no, not 'unpopular', but hated - of all time, and will get wiped out in favour of another lot who will quickly become unpopular, followed by hated.

I was there two weeks ago and couldn't get out quick enough. Depressing or what.
I stayed 1 night in some small wealthy village on the south coast where the average age was 93.5 and even they were complaining about everything. Restaurants and pubs were almost deserted and the people that were there looked like someone had stolen their false teeth.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Darkwan will become famous soon enoughDarkwan will become famous soon enough

Have people ever been happy?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:38 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Darkwan
Have people ever been happy?
when I was three and in the UK I remember being happy
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:56 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: On a brief visit to the UK, I am noticing.....

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Even when the Germans where bombing every night?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
lol, i had a nice time there 2 years ago, but hadn't been there in 8 years so maybe thats why!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean

Let us have a few more hours of whinging please. It may cheer up my hubby!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 12:30 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: On a brief visit to the UK, I am noticing.....

Originally Posted by Shadya
Let us have a few more hours of whinging please. It may cheer up my hubby!
The Jeremy Kyle Show tends to adjust my view whenever the rose tinted specs snap on .

He's probably just sick of being warm and dry all the time. Don't you remember that deeply satisfying feeling of constantly being damp for months at a time, Living under artificial light all the time, Having to need a jacket whenever you went out for nine months of the year? The yoof culture especially where local welfare benefits would begin their "hard graft" each day by running a blunt implement down the side of your car before going to get some of your tax money...or their Giros rather. I miss silly rates of taxation, "jobsworths" working for British rail companies and other union members. Ah yes, England .
Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

my 18 yr old went back recently after 3 yrs and never ever wants to go again !!!!!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 3:34 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Even when the Germans where bombing every night?
now about the Christmas night out .....
Old Nov 1st 2008, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

I'm actually missing the rain... no, seriously!

Or maybe I'm missing curling up in front of a fire with a big glass of wine in each hand while it rains outside... yup, that's it.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lyds

Or maybe I'm missing curling up in front of a fire with a big glass of wine in each hand while it rains outside... yup, that's it.
I hear you, sister...
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:10 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lyds

it can rain pretty bad out here...just be patient...after a few hours you are bored of it...
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

Day 53 of Eternal Sunshine and the housemates are debating what sun cream to use...

I like torrential rain. It's proper rain. Not namby-pamby "I just want to make you miserable" rain... Gosh, I need a holiday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.