Bribery

Old Jun 17th 2012, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bribery

Originally Posted by Meow
That's a very weak response and not relevant as as no one has said they don't. We all know perfectly well that money and influence is how many things get done, more than in most places.
A- So as per usual in this part of the world, it's all about money and nothing to do with ethics.

B- So as per usual, it's all about money and nothing to do with ethics.

Spot the difference.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Are you suggesting that the UK is more corrupt than the UAE?

Interesting survey here: http://cpi.transparency.org/cpi2011/results/
No, I did not say that. I pointed out that standing on the moral high ground (either as a Brit, or otherwise) is indeed shaky ground.

As for the index... Given that I work in all the red to dark red places, I know it well. That said, I'm always more interested in who made the survey and their agenda than the results.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:23 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

This puts it into perspective. Total cost to Siemens was probably well in excess of EUR 2 billion.

BERLIN (AFP) — German industrial giant Siemens agreed to pay nearly one billion euros (1.4 billion dollars) to US and German authorities on Monday to settle a sprawling corruption scandal.

Acknowledging the legal problems could have proved far more costly had it gone to court, company chief Peter Loescher said he was "happy and relieved to have negotiated this fantastic outcome in record time".

"This is for everyone at Siemens the best Christmas present," he told Tuesday's issue of the mass-market daily Bild.

Under the German settlement, prosecutors said Siemens would pay 395 million euros, on top of a fine of 201 million euros last year over charges it had run an elaborate bribe-and-kickback system to secure foreign contracts.

Under a separate US court settlement Monday, Siemens pleaded guilty to corruption charges and agreed to pay 800 million dollars to avoid prosecution.

The group was fined 450 million dollars and agreed to a 350-million-dollar settlement with the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), according to court documents.

The scandal could have cost the company even more dearly, however, with speculation running rampant for months that the SEC alone could levy fines of several billion euros.

The 161-year-old conglomerate with activities from nuclear power stations to trains and light bulbs has acknowledged that up to 1.3 billion euros may have been used illegally to win foreign contracts.

Siemens, which employs some 400,000 people worldwide, found in an exhaustive internal investigation that the practice was widespread across its numerous divisions.

US authorities said Siemens had used slush funds, off-book accounting and delivered suitcases full of cash to bribe officials to secure contracts in Argentina, Bangladesh, Iraq and Venezuela.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Can't resist stirring,

but have they ever been caught in this kind of scandal involving Denmark, or Canada, or Belgium?

(beat ya to it , Norm)
Old Jun 18th 2012, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
Can't resist stirring,

but have they ever been caught in this kind of scandal involving Denmark, or Canada, or Belgium?

(beat ya to it , Norm)
No idea about Denmark etc. But in 2007 Siemens were debarred from any World Bank funded project as part of a settlement agreement between the two.

In a nut shell they bribed the World Bank (who fall under the UN), got caught and reached an agreement to not work for 4 years and donate 100m to some good causes - which ironically were managed by the World Bank.

It is naive to think that the west is clean. We just do it differently, which - thankfully - doesn't affect our daily lives.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 4:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It is naive to think that the west is clean. We just do it differently, which - thankfully - doesn't affect our daily lives.
I don't know how you sleep at night.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:49 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm open to it, what do you want and how much do I get?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Mods! We cannot have different and inconsistent rules for (aledged) Copyright Material! - Please exercise Consistent Enforcement; otherwise I will 'Chuck my Hoover!'
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:30 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

So as per usual in this part of the world, it's all about money and nothing to do with ethics.
Confirming my stance that all cultures are not equal.

UK officers aren't paid as much as them but are generally far less corrupt.

N.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:45 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Confirming my stance that all cultures are not equal.

UK officers aren't paid as much as them but are generally far less corrupt.

N.
They may not be taking 50 quid to look the other way for a speeding fine but after all the leaks to the press, cases of fitting people up, battering the odd innocent I wouldn't be making your claim.
8500 corruption complaints last 3 years apparently (not saying they are all proved btw, as the referral rate is low)

Last edited by weasel decentral; Jun 19th 2012 at 8:48 am.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
They may not be taking 50 quid to look the other way for a speeding fine but after all the leaks to the press, cases of fitting people up, battering the odd innocent I wouldn't be making your claim.
8500 corruption complaints last 3 years apparently (not saying they are all proved btw, as the referral rate is low)
I knew the Welsh weren't to be trusted.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:05 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I knew the Welsh weren't to be trusted.
Welsh cops anyhow, plus whatever county that is north of London.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by seven seas
A- So as per usual in this part of the world, it's all about money and nothing to do with ethics.

B- So as per usual, it's all about money and nothing to do with ethics.

Spot the difference.
Did you learn English (as per usual) from an Indian?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:26 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
Mods! We cannot have different and inconsistent rules for (aledged) Copyright Material! - Please exercise Consistent Enforcement; otherwise I will 'Chuck my Hoover!'
I think you need to brush up on your copyright law.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Welsh cops anyhow, plus whatever county that is north of London.
Cambridgeshire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.