Brexit outcome

Old Jun 13th 2018, 10:18 am
  #31  
"Insert witty title here"
 
Irishbeekeeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: dxb
Posts: 2,241
Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit outcome

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
Why would you want to? Our exports are either high end machine tools, financial services or weapons. Anything else would be a re-export, you'd be better off sourcing it directly from China?

Unless you are considering becoming an arms dealer, in which case I am interested in any vacancies.
ha! reminds of that brilliant movie Lord of War, 'There are There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?'
Irishbeekeeper is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2018, 11:59 am
  #32  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Location: Carcassonne
Posts: 294
Alianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit outcome

To get back to the the OP's original question of a prediction on what we are going to wake up to on 30th March 2019, what I find most worrying is that it is literally impossible to predict. Not in general terms or details, not nationally or in foreign policy, not economically, socially, culturally or ethically. Not in imports or exports, not in jobs, incomes, economic and social divides. Not in the rejuvenation of the neglected parts of UK, not in migration both professional and humanitarian. Not in anything.
The only thing predictable about 30th March 2019 is that we were always going to be in the position of having no idea what was going to happen. Brexit was never about voting in favour of a definite, quantifiable future, it was about rejecting a perceived past.
Alianco is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2018, 5:46 am
  #33  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 23,029
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit outcome

Originally Posted by Alianco View Post
To get back to the the OP's original question of a prediction on what we are going to wake up to on 30th March 2019, what I find most worrying is that it is literally impossible to predict. Not in general terms or details, not nationally or in foreign policy, not economically, socially, culturally or ethically. Not in imports or exports, not in jobs, incomes, economic and social divides. Not in the rejuvenation of the neglected parts of UK, not in migration both professional and humanitarian. Not in anything.
The only thing predictable about 30th March 2019 is that we were always going to be in the position of having no idea what was going to happen. Brexit was never about voting in favour of a definite, quantifiable future, it was about rejecting a perceived past.
But we'll have 350m quid more a week for the NHS and we'll be taking back control. I mean, it can't fail just on those points alone. It's got to work, morons said so.
Scamp is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2018, 8:15 pm
  #34  
Onwards and Upwards!
 
Johnnyboy11's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 777
Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit outcome

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
But we'll have 350m quid more a week for the NHS and we'll be taking back control. I mean, it can't fail just on those points alone. It's got to work, morons said so.
And we'll have three less layers of bureaucracy: European Parliament, European Commission and European Council. Really looking forward to April
Johnnyboy11 is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2018, 5:18 am
  #35  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,019
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit outcome

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 View Post
And we'll have three less layers of bureaucracy: European Parliament, European Commission and European Council. Really looking forward to April
yeh man. All those bodies really affected most of us.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2018, 1:01 pm
  #36  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,019
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit outcome

Good to see the headlines that all the EU savings are going to the NHS as promised....
Millhouse is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2018, 4:38 pm
  #37  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 23,282
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit outcome

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
Good to see the headlines that all the EU savings are going to the NHS as promised....
Of course the caveat to that is that there will be NO savings after the loss of earnings by industry, the extra costs of imports, the loss of the value of the pound, the loss of many of the EU workers etc.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2018, 5:12 pm
  #38  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,019
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit outcome

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Of course the caveat to that is that there will be NO savings after the loss of earnings by industry, the extra costs of imports, the loss of the value of the pound, the loss of many of the EU workers etc.

Pessimist
Millhouse is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2018, 5:19 pm
  #39  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 23,282
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit outcome

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post



Pessimist
No, realist..
mikelincs is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2018, 8:12 pm
  #40  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: bute
Posts: 8,328
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit outcome

Now we know that they really will spend a squillion ponds on the NHS it is all hunkey-dorey. Excuse me now, I have to report back to the State Hospital for the criminally insane.
scot47 is online now  
Old Jun 18th 2018, 11:23 am
  #41  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 237
ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Brexit outcome

NHS is in desperate need of reform anyways. Any extra budget will be swallowed without any necessary improvements to the frontline (more just middle management inflation and non-jobs like 'diversity and inclusion managers'.
ExpatAl is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2018, 11:28 am
  #42  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 23,029
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit outcome

Originally Posted by ExpatAl View Post
NHS is in desperate need of reform anyways. Any extra budget will be swallowed without any necessary improvements to the frontline (more just middle management inflation and non-jobs like 'diversity and inclusion managers'.
So diversity is a bad thing?
Scamp is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2018, 11:33 am
  #43  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 237
ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Brexit outcome

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
So diversity is a bad thing?
Not what I said however such jobs to remain politically correct are a waste of resources IMO.
ExpatAl is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2018, 12:30 pm
  #44  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 23,029
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit outcome

Originally Posted by ExpatAl View Post
Not what I said however such jobs to remain politically correct are a waste of resources IMO.
You said that it's a non-job and now that it's a waste of resources, so logic dictates it can't be a good thing in your mind.

Actually, instead of being costly, hiring someone to increase levels of diversity probably offers a greater ROI than lots of other 'support' or 'admin' or 'HR' type roles.
McKinsey have done enough studies to show that boards with greater diversity perform best and also that boards with greater diversity generate more revenue. Credit Suisse even demosntrated through research that more money made by diverse boards wasn't linked to the pre-existing strength of the company.

Perhaps if the NHS, which is already diverse by nature of being such a large employer, promoted it even more, they generate greater efficiencies to stop wasting resources?

Just a thought.
Scamp is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2018, 12:36 pm
  #45  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,019
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit outcome

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
You said that it's a non-job and now that it's a waste of resources, so logic dictates it can't be a good thing in your mind.

Actually, instead of being costly, hiring someone to increase levels of diversity probably offers a greater ROI than lots of other 'support' or 'admin' or 'HR' type roles.
McKinsey have done enough studies to show that boards with greater diversity perform best and also that boards with greater diversity generate more revenue. Credit Suisse even demosntrated through research that more money made by diverse boards wasn't linked to the pre-existing strength of the company.

Perhaps if the NHS, which is already diverse by nature of being such a large employer, promoted it even more, they generate greater efficiencies to stop wasting resources?

Just a thought.
NHS is probably the most diverse employer in the country. I can’t actually think of any more diverse other than maybe someone like Oxfam.

Oh, and I don’t believe for a minute that you believe what you wrote.
Millhouse is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.