Brexit Negotiations

Old Sep 10th 2017, 11:56 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit Negotiations

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Dont mention the war [the hole...]

Not all will understand that quote...
I'm truly sorry for you if you feel that comment is subtle or witty, but anyway, as you keep banging on about the "hole" in the budget, again, let's look at the facts (links below):

EU budget 2017: eur157.86bn
Net UK contribution 2017: GBP8.1bn ~ eur8.9bn

That's just under 6% of the EU budget. Considerable, to be sure, but hardly catastrophic. Nothing compared say, to the cuts that local authorities in England have had to endure to their central government funding in recent years.

There are a few other considerations which thoughtful (invariably EU) public figures have also raised, for example replacing the UK's participation in current common security forums which may generate more net costs for the EU. On the other hand there will be a reduced administrative overhead from the removal of a large population bloc, salary and administrative costs for UK MEPs and representation on various EU bodies etc.

Consider also that the EU budget represents just about 1% of the EU's GNI so the overall economic impact will be limited. Indeed the negative economic impact on the rest of the EU caused by the UK falling out of the single market and customs union will likely be greater than the impact of the so-called "budget hole". But even that will be dwarfed by the negative economic impact on the UK.

EU budget for 2017 - Consilium

The UK's contribution to the EU budget - Commons Library briefing - UK Parliament

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-commissioner (not unusually, the article contents are far more nuanced than the silly headline)
Old Sep 10th 2017, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

The thames gateway port is set to double in size, funded by the UAE
Getting our country back then.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

True, its all about new/changed dynamics, the winners and losers. We will be importing more from outside the eu without a doubt, looking forward to that for vehicles foodstuffs and electronics. The eu has to decide whether they want our business. We will be outside the most protectionist blocs paywall in the world so our exports to non eu will also grow.

Ive seen the FOB costs of new cars, its all down to the government how much to add, currently behind the paywall they take 30-40% but as some of the largest car parts plants in asia are actually british owned, and we own most of the basic IP for brakes, dampers, and a few other goodies it dhouldnt take too long to find a mutually beneficial tariff.

The thames gateway port is set to double in size, funded by the UAE and i have heard some encouraging predictions from a vast shipping co i used to work for.
So the UK will boom by deliberately not having easy access to the worlds largest single market economy?
Old Sep 10th 2017, 12:27 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
So the UK will boom by deliberately not having easy access to the worlds largest single market economy?
First read, then comment, oh no, i forget - take the bremoan glasses off first.

Does the eu wish to pay more in tariffs or for ip? Will sense prevail in babel, i doubt it. Every brake on every car on this planet pays girling [lucas uk] or lockheed [usa] same for trillions of processors a year designed in the uk by arm.

I think you may be disappointed when you work out where the profits actually being made in 'the worlds largest market?'.

I prefer most of the world as trading partners vs most of europe.

PS of course respond, but not to me, i'm off to play another game here.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

First read, then comment, oh no, i forget - take the bremoan glasses off first.

Does the eu wish to pay more in tariffs or for ip? Will sense prevail in babel, i doubt it. Every brake on every car on this planet pays girling [lucas uk] or lockheed [usa] same for trillions of processors a year designed in the uk by arm.

I think you may be disappointed when you work out where the profits actually being made in 'the worlds largest market?'.

I prefer most of the world as trading partners vs most of europe.

PS of course respond, but not to me, i'm off to play another game here.
The world will crumble when we're free of the EU because of car brakes.

I think I've heard it all now.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

Interesting article DubaiExile. I imagine surely that there will be a swift deal struck to make sure Spain, Italy, France, Portugal et al don't lose their holiday makers from Britain. I expect we do make up a fair percentage and making that more expensive by penalising low cost carriers wouldn't be popular on the Costa del Sol.

I hope all these things get sensible resolutions, but then again, why should we receive similarly good rights or access if we aren't part of the club? Are we that important / powerful / wanted that the aforementioned nations would fight to keep our flight costs down?

Toss a coin I guess.
Therein lies the rub, as Spain is expected to use their Veto on this point (cutting their noses off etc), but as I said this is just one sector of industry..interesting times ahead...not1
Old Sep 10th 2017, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Therein lies the rub, as Spain is expected to use their Veto on this point (cutting their noses off etc), but as I said this is just one sector of industry..interesting times ahead...not1
Absolutely. The 'Insert Country Here' can be very spiteful if they want, probably by wanting to punish the Brits.

Similarly.

The 'Insert Country Here' aren't dumb, they know they need our tourism.

Probably similar cases in every single industry, no matter how big or small.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 1:13 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

From the 2nd...

How fickle are brits planning holidays?

When the FO says 'dont visit tunisia,[insert country here i guess] its dangerous' we decimated their economy.

Spain wouldnt be that bad for spain [i think] greece or portugal less sure. Something similar happened to egypt.

If it became common knowledge that spain was trying to maliciously hurt the uk, attacking poor little gib for example, i can just see the campaign in the 'news of the sun' to boycott them, and that might seriously dent that countrys finances? Tourist operations move countries at the drop of a hat if they think thats what the customers want.

Similarly - dont buy french fries said the americans... And they were american products!

Last edited by uk_grenada; Sep 10th 2017 at 1:17 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

From the 2nd...

How fickle are brits planning holidays?

When the FO says 'dont visit tunisia,[insert country here i guess] its dangerous' we decimated their economy.

Spain wouldnt be that bad for spain [i think] greece or portugal less sure. Something similar happened to egypt.

If it became common knowledge that spain was trying to maliciously hurt the uk, attacking poor little gib for example, i can just see the campaign in the 'news of the sun' to boycott them, and that might seriously dent that countrys finances? Tourist operations move countries at the drop of a hat if they think thats what the customers want.
So an extra tarriff on flight prices will stop people travelling to Spain? The same people who go to Tunisia even though the FCO say it's "dangerous"?

I imagine prices will remain competitive and Brits will continue to flock to the Spain type countries and their resorts.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 1:22 pm

Scamp - read the items - please before spouting - this has nothing to do with tariffs, and i just said, nobody goes places once the fo says not to, they cant anyway, the flights stop and insurance isnt effective.

Spain type includes plenty of non eu locations that may well become even more attractive politically.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

I did have a good chuckle watching Euronews' coverage of the Pro-EU march in London when a woman exclaimed 'Brexit will return Britain to a third world country'

Return...?
Old Sep 10th 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
I did have a good chuckle watching Euronews' coverage of the Pro-EU march in London when a woman exclaimed 'Brexit will return Britain to a third world country'

Return...?
I may think its rubbish, but i do applaud their right to do it. How does one protest for a repeal of the alcohol laws in Dubai? [just being cheeky now, here drunk driving actually isnt a crime...]
Old Sep 10th 2017, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

Scamp - read the items - please before spouting - this has nothing to do with tariffs, and i just said, nobody goes places once the fo says not to, they cant anyway, the flights stop and insurance isnt effective.

Spain type includes plenty of non eu locations that may well become even more attractive politically.
Honestly, I think we're missing each other.....not necessarily your fault or anyone else but the fault of trying to have a complex debate on the tinterweb lacking normal speech indicators.

Let's just leave it as an agree to disagree rather than argue pointlessly?

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
Return...?
Proper little chuckle at this.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

and i just said, nobody goes places once the fo says not to, they cant anyway

Beg to differ, a lot of the places I go to are on the FO list as do not go!! I go as my work takes me there, and why would you say they cannot anyway, FO cannot ban flights to certain countries!!

FO issues advice that is all , if you choose not to take it then that is down to you, and if you have ever been to an embassy overseas for help you would know what a wasted time and effort that would be, before you bring that one up!
Old Sep 10th 2017, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

TheSilverFox is an unknown quantity at this point

Its quite amusing watching a bunch of bremoaners working themselves up into a lather. So long as such attitudes remain in the eu, britain can sleep sound knowing that the explosion in europe is ongoing. Oh - and the hole in the budget - you havent bremoaned that much lately?
Sorry but just having read your posts, your comments are amazing in their avoidance of reality.

I don't bemoan Brexit, I do lament it. No one is going to be better off, despite your bizarre argument about car brakes! The EU and the UK will suffer and until this is agreed then sensible debate cannot happen. (The residents in the UK are suffering already, as I pointed out above).

Having discussed Brexit with a number of EU Government officials, there is zero sympathy for the UK. That may be difficult to accept but Spain or Ireland or France will not be allowed make special deals on tourism, for example, unless the entire EU approve it. That's as likely as Mr Farage becoming Prime Minister.

It may feel better to be out of the EU club but whether it will improve the living standards of residents is unlikely, but you're free to believe anything you wish to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.