Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Breaking News - Lanarkwitch Actually Gets Job Interview!

Breaking News - Lanarkwitch Actually Gets Job Interview!

Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:50 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breaking News - Lanarkwitch Actually Gets Job Interview!

Ties shouldn't be worn with short sleeved shirts. Men who do that also have belt pouches for their phones and wear socks with sandals. All are capital offences.

Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Ties shouldn't be worn with short sleeved shirts. Men who do that also have belt pouches for their phones and wear socks with sandals. All are capital offences.

http://i45.tinypic.com/29dwi1y.png
Ties worn with short sleeved shirts usually means 'Gobshite salesman approching!'
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Disagree there. While accepting that tastes vary greatly, I have a fair number of colleagues whose tie selection can only be random, and one in particular who believes a) that a bright yellow half-sleeve shirt is suitable office attire, b) that such shirt should be accompanied by a tie, c) that a yellow tie, equally bright but of a slightly different hue, matches, and d) it need only reach half way between his neck and his belt.

If you're going to wear one, at least make sure that it matches in some way the rest of your attire, that it doesn't have a footballer's knot (unless you're a professional footballer), that it reaches your belt plus a bit, and that it appears to have some aesthetic function other than keeping your lunch off your shirt.

As I'm asked from time to time at work, "Do you discriminate?" "'Course I bloody do, because if I didn't then my actions and choices would be indiscriminate, and I'd end up wearing a yellow tie with a yellow shirt."
I agree with all of this.

Tie not reaching belt (or even getting close) means it isn't worth wearing one.

Anyone who ties the wrong knot with the wrong collar. I tie a proper windsor and i wear a windsor collar on all my shirts for that reason.

Giant knots, eurgh. Estate agent or (typical) recruitment ****.

Pattern tie on pattern shirt - I personally dislike that too. Plain colour on striped shirt or patterned tie on plain shirt.

So simple to look seriously smart.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Ties worn with short sleeved shirts usually means 'Gobshite salesman approching!'
Or 'I'm an IT nerd'.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Meow if anyone could work a shell suit Im sure you could-although I really didnt have you down as a chav...

Bahtatboy- I was going to buy you something Latex but hey ho a waistcoat it is

I must admit I quite like the ties with short sleeve and tank top uber geek look, thick rimmed glasses, think IT crowd - pretty cool stuff- may not workon the bored members though!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:11 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I hate wearing a tie and rarely do unless I am at some kind of formal occasion like a wedding or similar.
Plain shirt, long sleeved (rolled up mostly) and plain trousers. If you have to concentrate on what you are wearing to make an impression then you are lacking something.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Meow if anyone could work a shell suit Im sure you could-although I really didnt have you down as a chav...

Bahtatboy- I was going to buy you something Latex but hey ho a waistcoat it is

I must admit I quite like the ties with short sleeve and tank top uber geek look, thick rimmed glasses, think IT crowd - pretty cool stuff- may not workon the bored members though!
No no no no no! One waistcoat is enough for any man.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I hate wearing a tie and rarely do unless I am at some kind of formal occasion like a wedding or similar.
Plain shirt, long sleeved (rolled up mostly) and plain trousers. If you have to concentrate on what you are wearing to make an impression then you are lacking something.
Someone sees you before they hear you. If you look scruffy / stupid then they'll assume that.

If you look smart / presentable then you've already made a better impression.

If you don't care what you look like then why would you care about whatever it is you're talking about?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:30 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Someone sees you before they hear you. If you look scruffy / stupid then they'll assume that.

If you look smart / presentable then you've already made a better impression.

If you don't care what you look like then why would you care about whatever it is you're talking about?
I didn't mean not presentable, in my opinion what you wear shouldn't stand out as either being scruffy or as being overly done. Its all secondary to the point of the meeting or task in hand.
I have plenty of meeting with very well dressed idiots, they are still idiots. And must assume I am one too if they consider a good tie will somehow help their case.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:31 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
out of interest, when did you last have an interview?
of what relevance is that?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:37 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't mean not presentable, in my opinion what you wear shouldn't stand out as either being scruffy or as being overly done. Its all secondary to the point of the meeting or task in hand.
I have plenty of meeting with very well dressed idiots, they are still idiots. And must assume I am one too if they consider a good tie will somehow help their case.
Well said.

Lanarkwitch is going to wonder WTF happened with this thread when she gets hooked up again...
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:40 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

and a belt, if you have belt hoops wear a belt
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:40 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Well said.

Lanarkwitch is going to wonder WTF happened with this thread when she gets hooked up again...
As long as she didn't turn up in a latex cat suit to the interview she probably did ok
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:41 am
Hit 16's

As long as she didn't turn up in a latex cat suit to the interview she probably did ok
I'd've hired her.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:45 am
Account Closed

I took it to the extreme to sort of make a point. I don't disagree with you, style over substance is just plain wrong.

You can always be over dressed, think waistcoat.

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
and a belt, if you have belt hoops wear a belt
Some say that no belt means you've got a perfectly fitted / tailored suit and therefore looks better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.