British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Boycott Israel on a world scale to achieve peace? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/boycott-israel-world-scale-achieve-peace-583212/)

Autonomy Jan 10th 2009 7:30 pm

Boycott Israel on a world scale to achieve peace?

An interesting article...

Boycott Strategy

Charismatic Jan 11th 2009 3:08 am

Re: Boycott Israel on a world scale to achieve peace?

Even if I wanted to I can't think of many products I buy from Israel?

Should we stop buying stuff in Gaza as well, since to be fair they seem to mostly waste their money on cheap rockets :p.

The Dean Jan 11th 2009 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7149592)
An interesting article...

Boycott Strategy

Yes yes..........

........... but it's a Grauniad article...........

However well written and argued, the Guardian is still the Guardian.........

lionheart Jan 11th 2009 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7150920)

Maybe we could boycott the Atlantis Hotel, which I believe is owned by an Israeli?

Inselaffen Jan 11th 2009 3:57 am

maybe we should stop buying all Saudi, Syrian, Iranian etc. goods at the same time as they are the ones who fund the rockets that are fired at Israel.

Its always interesting how these type of people always resist sanctions against African despots such as Mugabe saying that will harm the common man in those countries.

AnotherWorld Jan 11th 2009 3:58 am

I honestly think Israel make enough money from every other pocket they have their hand in that boycotting their goods wouldn't do any good.

You think they aren't going to benefit big time from this "credit crisis"?

still.unsure Jan 11th 2009 4:11 am

i didn't think boycotts were so much about the financial impact but more about the statements and campaign that went with. oz boycotted french products in response to the nuclear testing in the south pacific in the mid-90's and it did precisely squat (not exactly a huge french-product-consuming customer base that) but the campaign that went with it at least gave some sense of solidarity and public message. (if it was only "oi, frenchie! stop making our fish glow in the dark!" to which the reply usually was "pardon? vous ĂȘtes qui?")

ededed Jan 11th 2009 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7150920)

Should we stop buying stuff in Gaza as well, since to be fair they seem to mostly waste their money on cheap rockets :p.

In the spirit of fairness, I'll also be boycotting Palestinian vests. They tend to be too bulky with too many pockets....

Charismatic Jan 11th 2009 4:32 am

:rofl:

Bison Jan 11th 2009 4:44 am

I had a leaflet slipped under the front door yesterday (part English Part Arabic) entitled "Boycott American and Israeli Products" so that our kids don't have to kill!

There was no indication as to who it was from, but it had a long list of companies ranging from Heinz and Nike, to Baskin Robins.

I ain't taking my trainers of for no one.... the cheek of it!

Bison

ededed Jan 11th 2009 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7151033)
I had a leaflet slipped under the front door yesterday (part English Part Arabic) entitled "Boycott American and Israeli Products" so that our kids don't have to kill!

There was no indication as to who it was from, but it had a long list of companies ranging from Heinz and Nike, to Baskin Robins.

I ain't taking my trainers of for no one.... the cheek of it!

Bison

Damn those subversive ice-cream manufacturers!

littlejimmy Jan 11th 2009 8:29 am

Aren't Starbucks owned by Jewish people? Get down to MoE and see how many locals. are in there.

Norm_uk Jan 11th 2009 8:50 am

I already boycott Israeli goods by default because I live in the UAE.

As for American products -many Americans died to help keep me and my people free from tyranny 60 years ago. I won't rubbish their memory with knee-jerk reactions and empty gestures to support peoples who are not able to get over their differences in a peaceful manner.

Maybe that won't make me popular with some people but I really don't care...I am not going to confuse the US administration or it's skewed foreign policy with the masses of hard working everyday Americans who want the same things we all do - a job, a place to live and a decent standard of living.

N.

W10 Jan 11th 2009 2:45 pm

If you have an intel chip, chances are it was Israeli manufactured. If you have a Motorola mobile likewise. A lot of medical equipment was developed in Israel. Carrefour sources some of its clothing products from Israeli factories. Johnson and Johnson has an Israeli link etc etc

A total boycott of Israeli goods is nigh on impossible...

The Dean Jan 11th 2009 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 7152396)
If you have an intel chip, chances are it was Israeli manufactured. If you have a Motorola mobile likewise. A lot of medical equipment was developed in Israel. Carrefour sources some of its clothing products from Israeli factories. Johnson and Johnson has an Israeli link etc etc

A total boycott of Israeli goods is nigh on impossible...

Motorola phones are Israeli-made??

Is that why they are complete crap and come bottom of the league in virtually all consumer surveys??