Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The 'boyat' phenomenon?

Wikiposts

The 'boyat' phenomenon?

Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:02 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default The 'boyat' phenomenon?

Anyone seen this article?

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/ge...menon-1.796816

I'm a bit confused. Are they upset about lesbians or just tomboys?

"The social phenomenon is a consequence of the young women seeing themselves as individuals and this is different to Gulf society and tradition." How dare these young women be individuals!!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 8:49 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 'boyat' phenomenon?

Originally Posted by Meow

"The social phenomenon is a consequence of the young women seeing themselves as individuals and this is different to Gulf society and tradition." How dare these young women be individuals!!
Indeed...but then again any woman who wants to dress and act like a man lacks ambition in my opinion!

N.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:01 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Indeed...but then again any woman who wants to dress and act like a man lacks ambition in my opinion!

N.
By whose definition? I suspect that many Gulf Arabs may see this in a different way to you or me.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The notion of individuality, or rather, where the individual is just as important or even more important than the family or the larger society, is very much a western concept.

There's pros and cons to both the individual first mindset and the family/society first mindset.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

what a load of old crap!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

There have been discussions about this so called phenomenon over here too, obviously. The problem, and in my opinion, the only problem with those girls( yes, they do actually exist), is that they indeed try to intimidate other, non "boyat" girls with threats etc.
It probably comes down to "you reap what you sow", as in a society as oppressed in many ways as this one, there must be some who seek freedom in any way they possibly can.
But, over here it is all good, as we have a doctor who cures those ills! Yup!

I wonder, will those people EVER get that you can't oppress natural behaviour? Will they continue forever to try and extinguish the effect instead of eliminating the cause? (I am not talking about homosexuality in this sentence, but the natural curiosity and behaviour between male and female)
Ah well!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:29 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
The notion of individuality, or rather, where the individual is just as important or even more important than the family or the larger society, is very much a western concept.

There's pros and cons to both the individual first mindset and the family/society first mindset.
Agreed...I think balancing the two makes for a better person and society. Unbridled individualism or collectivism generally leads to chaos and widespread misery.

N.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

This is like an arabic version of ladettes
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:39 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Agreed...I think balancing the two makes for a better person and society. Unbridled individualism or collectivism generally leads to chaos and widespread misery.

N.
yup, I was really confused too about this article, which seemed to be suggesting that lots of young women are born without defined gender, which would then go on to explain their tomboy/agressiveness. Not being funny, but surely there isn't that high an incidence of genetic abnormality her....

One of the more surreal articles I've read in a while. can't get my head around the logic, the point or the consequences... laws to control tomboys?! Medical condition?! The whole "blame it on the mother" thing didn't pass me by though... "if a mother was a strong figure and she had brothers whom she played with"... more segregation it is then!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ethos83
That's pretty obvious isn't it? It's not like the lack of a universal truth is anything new...