British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   boston marathon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/boston-marathon-794125/)

commander Apr 16th 2013 1:44 am

boston marathon

Unreal. I'm in the states right now and we got a news alert in our office a D watched this unfold. I guess you guys are waking up to the news. Some pretty graphic footage captured as you can imagine the amount of cameras on the go at the finish line of the most iconic marathon in the world.

flares Apr 16th 2013 2:42 am

Re: boston marathon

No it was all over the news last night.

Devices appear pretty homemade fertilizer, ballbearings which will have kept casualties down.

Don't know how I feel about wearing my new Adidas supernova Boston Marathon 2013 running shorts I picked up in Vegas last week!!

Gonna make a for a nervy London Marathon unfortunately.

This coupled with a 23 year old having a fatal heart attack at the Brighton marathon over the weekend too. Not good

Bob Apr 16th 2013 3:05 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10661226)
Unreal. I'm in the states right now and we got a news alert in our office a D watched this unfold. I guess you guys are waking up to the news. Some pretty graphic footage captured as you can imagine the amount of cameras on the go at the finish line of the most iconic marathon in the world.

Aye, behind the Superbowl, this is the biggest annual sporting event in the US, media wise.

Surreal stuff as we used to live on the route of the marathon and know some folks who usually do the marathon. Luckily one was on holiday and another was injured and didn't race. Also have a few cousins who live in the area of the finish line, who were fine.

Crazy day.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 16th 2013 5:06 am

Horrible footage, so sad to see one of the dead was a young lad (I believe I read).

Saw a photo of police arresting a 'suspect' but I hope whoever is behind it is found.

Mogs Apr 16th 2013 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10661394)
Horrible footage, so sad to see one of the dead was a young lad (I believe I read).

Saw a photo of police arresting a 'suspect' but I hope whoever is behind it is found.

An 8 year old has been confirmed as one of the 3 dead according to Sky news this morning

mentalist Apr 16th 2013 5:29 am

Has anybody claimed responsibility yet? Could be a redneck unhappy with all those Africans running? If Al Qaeda then they may have shot themselves in the foot again. If it was them, I'm thinking they should probably cancel Thatcher's funeral procession as it's a much more obvious political target and almost impossible to protect.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 16th 2013 5:35 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10661413)
Has anybody claimed responsibility yet? Could be a redneck unhappy with all those Africans running? If Al Qaeda then they may have shot themselves in the foot again. If it was them, I'm thinking they should probably cancel Thatcher's funeral procession as it's a much more obvious political target and almost impossible to protect.

London Marathon in a few days.

Theories and speculation at the moment from everywhere. I just hope the severely injured pull through.

Millhouse Apr 16th 2013 5:42 am

I hope it's just some nutcase american. This gives the US the perfect excuse to go on the rampage again - especially in light of raised global tensions.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 16th 2013 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10661428)
I hope it's just some nutcase american. This gives the US the perfect excuse to go on the rampage again - especially in light of raised global tensions.

Oh god, that would be the best (wrong word, given the circumstances) scenario.

Linking to Middle Eastern terrorists or something will just inflame the shit storm.

Meow Apr 16th 2013 5:59 am

It was Patriot's Day in Massachusetts yesterday, so I also hope it's a home grown one, although naturally within minutes there was all sorts of speculation.

Particularly rotten when you consider many of the runners were doing it for charity.

britexpat76 Apr 16th 2013 6:04 am

I hoped crazed American, last night it was reported they had arrested a Saudi national (I didn't make that up)

Boomhauer Apr 16th 2013 6:04 am

If it is Islamists and they received training in Pakistan , the US takes a hardline.

3 days from today is the 20 year anniversary of the seige on the Branch Davidian compound in Waco Tx.

Meow Apr 16th 2013 6:08 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10661449)
I hoped crazed American, last night it was reported they had arrested a Saudi national (I didn't make that up)

I read that at around 1am (UAE time), but it was discredited not long afterwards.

britexpat76 Apr 16th 2013 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10661455)
I read that at around 1am (UAE time), but it was discredited not long afterwards.

That was when I read it. Probably wrong place and time for him!

Meow Apr 16th 2013 6:41 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10661464)
That was when I read it. Probably wrong place and time for him!

Not a good time to be of Middle Eastern origin in Boston. You know how open-minded so many Americans can be...