British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Born-Again Biker Training (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/born-again-biker-training-780273/)

Bahtatboy Dec 11th 2012 9:18 am

Born-Again Biker Training

Yes I'm in mid-life and yes to everything else negative that's going to be thrown at me, but I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting something throbbing again between my legs. Must be 20 years since I've ridden a bike--can anyone recommend suitable lessons, preferably in Dubai but if not in AD?

Thanks in anticipation :D

shiva Dec 11th 2012 9:39 am

Re: Born-Again Biker Training

got quiet a few friends who have done this, without exception all have been advised and done an intensive course in the UK as the reputation and therefore survivability out here is not great

Meow Dec 11th 2012 9:58 am

Suggest you ask RoadKing as he's a biker. PM him as he doesn't post much these days.

britexpat76 Dec 11th 2012 10:23 am

Did Scamp also look into this? He may do it with you.

Millhouse Dec 11th 2012 10:26 am

It was nice knowing you.

My Dad is a born again biker - Literally. He recently spent around 3 days in intensive care after an accident.

Ronnie Biggs Dec 11th 2012 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10427247)
Yes I'm in mid-life and yes to everything else negative that's going to be thrown at me, but I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting something throbbing again between my legs. Must be 20 years since I've ridden a bike--can anyone recommend suitable lessons, preferably in Dubai but if not in AD?

Don't do it, this place is bad enough in a car. If you need a fix, take it to the track....

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 11th 2012 10:59 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10427349)
Did Scamp also look into this? He may do it with you.

Scamp got scared off it.

If I were to do it seriously I'd learn in the UK and then come here.

Depends what you want to do. I'd be tempted with an off-road one, less chance of someone knocking you off (more chance of you falling down a dune, yes, but maybe more fun?)

weasel decentral Dec 11th 2012 12:28 pm

Never mind the naysayers, I think you should do it. If I can offer you some constructive advice (for once):

Start by bashing around the dunes and sand in something suitably unbreakable, and get used to being on a bike again.
Then I'd recommend doing a direct access course in the UK to get your licence, transfer it to UAE afterwards.
Unfortunately after this there are no easy ways to increase your experience other than getting out and riding the bike. The off road stuff will sharpen you up a lot faster than on the road though and with hopefully less painful consequences when you fall.

Don't buy a hog please and don't buy a quad

Alexa Dec 11th 2012 12:34 pm

Get a Harley.
Can't tell you anything about driving courses, am in Qatar,

weasel decentral Dec 11th 2012 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 10427524)
Get a Harley.
Can't tell you anything about driving courses, am in Qatar,

I have just told him not to get a Harley. Anyhow I figure him to be more of a bmw rider or sports tourer type

Bahtatboy Dec 11th 2012 12:41 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks all.

Hadn't contemplated having to get my UK licence renewed, still got the full bike licence on it (even though, as I understand from a contemporary thread, my UK licence isn't valid--just checked my UAE licence and it says "motorcycle", so I guess that's ok for anything).

So course in UK, probably next spring, with maybe some off-roading before then.

And no, not a hog, this:

Attachment 109957

Millhouse Dec 11th 2012 12:49 pm

I would start off-roading in a car first.

weasel decentral Dec 11th 2012 12:54 pm

A cafe racer? or is that what the cool kids are still calling them now.

Often wondered how hot you would get with an air cooled cylinder head at your knees, you must let me know :D
The starter motor on that looks huge.

If I were to suggest a bike for you to get going on again, that could be off roaded a bit, took to the highways pretty well, and could take a dropping or two. Mechanically more reliable than the 'guzzi why not try this baby. Also a lowish saddle height, soft suspension and still a bit hooligan if you give it enough juice. ktm 690lc4 enduro

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gal...4%20Enduro.jpg

weasel decentral Dec 11th 2012 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10427551)

why so?

Bahtatboy Dec 11th 2012 12:57 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10427551)

I must take you up on that...

I used to do motoX in the desert when I lived in Riyadh, but was shite at it. Give me a nice, smooth bit of tarmac anyday.

Attachment 109958