British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Boris (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/boris-926675/)

Scamp Jul 24th 2019 10:24 am

Boris
 
Flip me. The stuff on the interwebs....apparently he's up at the Hitler / Stalin level of nasty.

BBC have a good article on his stance with Brexit and what he's said, as well as the obstacles to what he's said which is worth a read.

He might just work though, he's thick skinned and determined it seems. I like the fact he's said the UK will leave regardless and that sort of bargaining strength is important. The sooner the UK ends this purgatory the better.

Is he the future of UK politics? No, of course not. But could he do a job to get through this mire of misery? Potentially.


tonymahony Jul 24th 2019 10:51 am

Re: Boris
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12714233)
Flip me. The stuff on the interwebs....apparently he's up at the Hitler / Stalin level of nasty.

BBC have a good article on his stance with Brexit and what he's said, as well as the obstacles to what he's said which is worth a read.

He might just work though, he's thick skinned and determined it seems. I like the fact he's said the UK will leave regardless and that sort of bargaining strength is important. The sooner the UK ends this purgatory the better.

Is he the future of UK politics? No, of course not. But could he do a job to get through this mire of misery? Potentially.

he's certainly got the front to get us through Brexit..

Arnold S Jul 24th 2019 11:11 am

Re: Boris
 
Best case scenario - he'll push through the current deal tarted-up and claim a resounding victory. Call an immediate election and romp home off the back of that and the ineptitude of Labour. The country will face 4 more years of austerity plus where the poor and working-class will suffer greatly. For the upper working-class and middle classes in sectors not related to fire sale Britain, it will be about just hanging on. Boom times for cronyism and the financial sector.

Worst - no deal, logistical and financial collapse, public services (including the police) privatized, civil unrest, martial law and then puppet masters step out to take command. This scenario reads like an episode of Black Mirror for now but if there's going to be a Franz Ferdinand moment, this could well be it.

HiHo Jul 24th 2019 11:21 am

Re: Boris
 
I’m fed up hearing about Brexit. Juncker is holding international trade to a $40 billion ransom. Nasser tried similar in 56. Egypt had 80,000 troops Luxembourg has 450. The tenth armoured is already in Germany. It would be cheaper to annex Luxembourg and make Juncker British than to pay his ransom demand. Has Boris got What Eden had?

Scamp Jul 24th 2019 11:38 am

Re: Boris
 

Originally Posted by Arnold S (Post 12714252)
Best case scenario - he'll push through the current deal tarted-up and claim a resounding victory. Call an immediate election and romp home off the back of that and the ineptitude of Labour. The country will face 4 more years of austerity plus where the poor and working-class will suffer greatly. For the upper working-class and middle classes in sectors not related to fire sale Britain, it will be about just hanging on. Boom times for cronyism and the financial sector.

Worst - no deal, logistical and financial collapse, public services (including the police) privatized, civil unrest, martial law and then puppet masters step out to take command. This scenario reads like an episode of Black Mirror for now but if there's going to be a Franz Ferdinand moment, this could well be it.

The first paragraph is very possibly an option.

The second 'worst' case scenario is very much that. It's quite extreme......but the privatized police and martial law sounds exciting.

Arnold S Jul 24th 2019 12:31 pm

Re: Boris
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12714272)
The second 'worst' case scenario is very much that. It's quite extreme

There are people who want just that, who also have his ear.

For now, I still have faith in establishment stopgaps preventing it from happening, but then other events in recent times would have seemed totally unplausible only fives years earlier.

nonthaburi Jul 24th 2019 5:00 pm

Re: Boris
 
Quite a good read about the current state of play.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/22/o...r-britain.html

Will Boris be a bad as some people say he will, probably not.
Will Boris be a great as some people say he will,
probably not.

The British do mediocrity so well. Got no reason to belive Boris will be any different.

On a purely selfish level, further drops in the pound if things go tits up would be advantageous to me right now.

Tallula Jul 24th 2019 6:28 pm

Re: Boris
 
It's not just the PM role in the news ... he's having a massive clear-out of the Cabinet/government - Sky Breaking news ...

DXBtoDOH Jul 24th 2019 6:54 pm

Re: Boris
 
The chattering classes are furious he sacked most of the Cabinet to replace it with a mostly if not all Brexiteer Cabinet. And of course the juvenile pro-corbyn twits are most upset despite that if their dear beloved leader did the same thing with a Labour Cabinet they'd be all for it.

I don't know why people are up in arms about it because May went for a balanced Cabinet and ended up with a Chancellor who did everything to sabotage or slow down Brexit by refusing to fund no deal planning, and the PM also kept key Brexiteers who were supposed to be part of the negotiations out of the negotiations, and look what happened, three years of turgid misery.

Johnson's promised to deliver Brexit and has put together a pro Bexit cabinet that looks willing to accept no-deal if that's the price to be paid. It seems perfectly logical to me. It's not as if a balanced Cabinet would have made any more difference in getting a vote passed through Parliament (just see May's spectacular failure. Multiple failures).

At this point the only possible way forward is to push for a Brexit at all costs, even a no-deal, or kill Brexit in the attempt.

BritInParis Jul 25th 2019 2:09 am

Re: Boris
 
Never understood the idea of a balanced Cabinet. The country voted to leave, the manifesto commitment was to leave, why then hand the levers of power to those fundamentally opposed to the idea?

Of course if Sarah Vine hadn’t done her best Lady Macbeth impression in June 2016 then we’d be where we are now then and three wasted years would simply be a bad dream.

Arnold S Jul 25th 2019 7:14 am

Re: Boris
 

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12714665)
Never understood the idea of a balanced Cabinet. The country voted to leave, the manifesto commitment was to leave, why then hand the levers of power to those fundamentally opposed to the idea?

I assume the corporate and business interests that fund the Conservative Party, or are key contributors to the UK economy, are slightly less gung ho about "we wun two warz" blind optimism being the primary methodology for leaving.

HiHo Jul 25th 2019 8:59 am

Re: Boris
 

Originally Posted by Arnold S (Post 12714727)
I assume the corporate and business interests that fund the Conservative Party, or are key contributors to the UK economy, are slightly less gung ho about "we wun two warz" blind optimism being the primary methodology for leaving.

I see the right honourable member for BAE systems got Defence. No surprise.


BritInParis Jul 29th 2019 2:31 pm

Re: Boris
 

Originally Posted by Arnold S (Post 12714727)
I assume the corporate and business interests that fund the Conservative Party, or are key contributors to the UK economy, are slightly less gung ho about "we wun two warz" blind optimism being the primary methodology for leaving.

The methodology is adequately preparing for a ‘No Deal’ exit if necessary, almost all of which has been in place on the UK side since March.

Scamp Jul 30th 2019 6:46 am

Re: Boris
 
He's left Scotland a popular man hasn't he...

TGFKASE Jul 30th 2019 7:29 am

Re: Boris
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12716685)
He's left Scotland a popular man hasn't he...

And rightly so.. Sneaking out the back door of Bute House..

I said after the failed referendum that the Scots wouldn't cause the Union to break up, Westmonster would... Quite impressed at my fortune-telling skills....


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:27 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.