British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Boring question but... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/boring-question-but-709940/)

Spugsy Mar 19th 2011 8:20 am

Boring question but...

..I need a printer, a witeless one if possible for doing stuff in the house. Doesn't have to be amazing just decent.

Any recommendations?

lionheart Mar 19th 2011 10:28 am

Re: Boring question but...

We paid Dha129 for a perfectly functional HP Deskjet. No idea what you mean by witeless...or even wireless for that matter. Is there such a thing?

Blue Cat Mar 19th 2011 10:44 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9249976)
We paid Dha129 for a perfectly functional HP Deskjet. No idea what you mean by witeless...or even wireless for that matter. Is there such a thing?

yeah you can get wireless printers, my friend got one the other week in Sharaf DG

nottmbantam Mar 19th 2011 12:48 pm

We got a HP Deskjet 3050 about a month ago, Carrefour are doing them right now for around 299 SR.

Wireless printing & scanning and also a copier. Not bad for the money, cartridges a small though, probably not intended for heavy use.

Madam Medusa Mar 19th 2011 2:25 pm

if it doesn't have to be wireless, i've got a good one...hp photosmart c5283, which scans, photocopies and prints photos and normal paper...if only i knew how to work the sodding thing, lol...

MM, xx

Spugsy Mar 19th 2011 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9249976)

You've probably got what I have now, functional but a bit rubbish.

you can get printers that are wi-fi, ie no wires anywhere which makes it handy.

Welivehere Mar 20th 2011 5:55 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 9250121)
We got a HP Deskjet 3050 about a month ago, Carrefour are doing them right now for around 299 SR.

Wireless printing & scanning and also a copier. Not bad for the money, cartridges a small though, probably not intended for heavy use.

Ditto - I use it for a home office and it does ok. Wireless is pretty good as well....

Autonomy Mar 20th 2011 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 9251489)
Ditto - I use it for a home office and it does ok. Wireless is pretty good as well....

We have HP Photosmart 4500 - got it at Carrefour - it's wireless but to be honest the wireless is such a pain in the arse... to be honest I wouldn't recommend this one....

Millhouse Mar 20th 2011 6:16 am

do you need colour?

I wouldn't waste my time with inkjets unless you need colour on a regular basis - I got a Samsung ML 1910 laser for about 350Dh from Carrefour - No issues with ink drying on the cartridge etc.

Home print photos always look exactly that - they are good but much better (and cheaper) to let someone else print them.

Hippacrocapig Mar 20th 2011 6:17 am

Wouldnt it be great if electricity became wireless too!

Bungdit Din Mar 20th 2011 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Hippacrocapig (Post 9251502)
Wouldnt it be great if electricity became wireless too!

It already can be to a limited extent and there's a lot of work going on to make it practical for everyday use...

Like Autonomy says wireless printers can be a pain. One alternative is to plug the printer into your wireless router so the printer itself isn't wireless but you can access it wirelessly... if you see what I mean... you need to have a printer with an Ethernet socket or a router with a USB printer socket (Apple routers have these).

Spugsy Mar 20th 2011 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Bungdit Din (Post 9251530)
It already can be to a limited extent and there's a lot of work going on to make it practical for everyday use...

Like Autonomy says wireless printers can be a pain. One alternative is to plug the printer into your wireless router so the printer itself isn't wireless but you can access it wirelessly... if you see what I mean... you need to have a printer with an Ethernet socket or a router with a USB printer socket (Apple routers have these).

actually yeah that would work.

And I do need colour yeah, but doesn't have to be amazing resolution or photo printing.