Booze in Qatar

Old Nov 8th 2013, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Booze in Qatar

Originally Posted by OleJanx
There was a time when you couldn't go to a hotel and have a drink, but it wasn't entirely dry - you used to get a booze permit, issued by the British Embassy, to spend at the Cable and Wireless syndicate- originally 400 QR, later 500....
Yes you are right - I also remember that a certain Hotel used to serve "special tea" in a teapot
Old Nov 8th 2013, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
Yes you are right - I also remember that a certain Hotel used to serve "special tea" in a teapot
That'll be the late lamented Oasis, then!
Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
That'll be the late lamented Oasis, then!
Old Nov 9th 2013, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

It may be the sign of a change in approach. I read last week that they seemingly tried to ban Halloween parties at hotels!
Old Nov 9th 2013, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Been to the W today for lunch and the F&B manager confirmed that all alcohol is now banned from all outside areas . They received written notice on Thursday evening .

It doesn't really bother me either way because it's such a shite city in any case . Qataris really are a bizarre bunch of people that's for sure.

I also heard some pissed up bloke from a very influential family nearly drowned at a beach party last week .

Another nail in the 2022 coffin
Old Nov 9th 2013, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Crash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to behold

Doha News has an update.....

http://dohanews.co/sudden-change-in-...ets-customers/
Old Nov 9th 2013, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Been to the W today for lunch and the F&B manager confirmed that all alcohol is now banned from all outside areas . They received written notice on Thursday evening .

It doesn't really bother me either way because it's such a shite city in any case . Qataris really are a bizarre bunch of people that's for sure.

I also heard some pissed up bloke from a very influential family nearly drowned at a beach party last week .

Another nail in the 2022 coffin

Ahhhh...so THAT's what it all is about. The usual then.
I'm not bothered either , but I think quite a lot of people will be.
Let's see what's next...good thing I still have a few abayas from my time in Saudi .
Although, looking at that kind of logic, I do wonder...when are they going to ban people driving ? After all, people , even from influential families, do die on the roads here....rather frequently as a matter of fact.

Last edited by Alexa; Nov 9th 2013 at 2:31 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Ahhhh...so THAT's what it all is about. The usual then.
I'm not bothered either , but I think quite a lot of people will be.
Let's see what's next...good thing I still have a few abayas from my time in Saudi .
Although, looking at that kind of logic, I do wonder...when are they going to ban people driving ? After all, people , even from influential families, do die on the roads here....rather frequently as a matter of fact.
I hear there's going to be a change in ownership at QDC so lets see what happens with that one .
Old Nov 10th 2013, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

I hear there's going to be a change in ownership at QDC so lets see what happens with that one .
Isn't QDC connected to the duty free at the airport? And are not those profits going into the coffers of "the government" ?
Old Nov 10th 2013, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alexa
Isn't QDC connected to the duty free at the airport? And are not those profits going into the coffers of "the government" ?
Yes correct , it's officially owned by Qatar Airways but i've been told it was leased to an Irish management company and that deal is ending or ended and they're looking to make changes .

There's a big anti expat feeling here in Qatar at the moment , the booze thing is a big driver for certain sections of the community .

One little whisper i heard is that Nightclubs and live music will be next to get the chop .

Apparently there's a lot of young men of certain origin living the high life and getting into all sorts of trouble and some of it major .

If Dubai gets the Expo and the money gets pumped in people will be out of here in droves .
Old Nov 10th 2013, 7:57 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Yes correct , it's officially owned by Qatar Airways but i've been told it was leased to an Irish management company and that deal is ending or ended and they're looking to make changes .

There's a big anti expat feeling here in Qatar at the moment , the booze thing is a big driver for certain sections of the community .

One little whisper i heard is that Nightclubs and live music will be next to get the chop .

Apparently there's a lot of young men of certain origin living the high life and getting into all sorts of trouble and some of it major .

If Dubai gets the Expo and the money gets pumped in people will be out of here in droves .
That sounds very suspiciously like something I've read before.... Have you posted that previously?
Old Nov 10th 2013, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kix
That sounds very suspiciously like something I've read before.... Have you posted that previously?
No mate , the usual urban myths fly around though when the proverbial hits the fan here , you know the score .
Old Nov 10th 2013, 8:18 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

No mate , the usual urban myths fly around though when the proverbial hits the fan here , you know the score .
Indeed, in all this it appears to me that local got pissed then nearly drowned so rulers decide to ban drink near water.

Obviously the hundreds of thousands of us that can get pissed at a pool bar and not drown are the exception and local boy is the norm.

Let's persecute the masses for the misdemeanors of the one, as opposed to educating the one (teach him to swim maybe)?
Old Nov 10th 2013, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I love how you type CDB- with all those spaces between the punctuation it's like a 1950s typeset. old skool. I respect that.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kix
Indeed, in all this it appears to me that local got pissed then nearly drowned so rulers decide to ban drink near water.

Obviously the hundreds of thousands of us that can get pissed at a pool bar and not drown are the exception and local boy is the norm.

Let's persecute the masses for the misdemeanors of the one, as opposed to educating the one (teach him to swim maybe)?
Same old same old mate here to be honest . As i said it's a shame because there's a few nice venue's that's sprung up in the last 18 months or so and a few pretty cool places to go during the nice weather .

The most bother i've seen here in bars and clubs comes from Arab nationals , they get bladdered and can't behave full stop . In the normal world this place would be 'Black Eye Friday' every week .

It's also a political move to appease the usual morons so like everything is Qatar you just get on with it .

The Qatari's can do what they like but they need to make up their mind what it is they want to be . I'm not sure who advises them on their PR but it's a disaster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.