Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Books reading at the moment?

Books reading at the moment?

Old Apr 25th 2018, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Books reading at the moment?

Originally Posted by Scamp
There are plenty of films where the books are much, much better.
so very true!

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'm with you, sister.

I read the economist (paper version) when taking a shit, and the FT (on my phone).

The kindle only comes into action when I'm on a long haul flight and I've finished the economist.
what is it with guys reading while on the bog?? Is it coz the poo is difficult to push out and hence takes time?

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
With your track record of making decisions, put you in a bookshop and you would not come out for 20 years!!!
bog off lol
Old Apr 25th 2018, 6:47 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like we're being stalked...

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-enjoy-reading

Typical Grauniadian post-modern liberal elite pretentious shite, mind. Do they try to out-do the Fail at the other end of the spectrum?
Old Apr 25th 2018, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission

what is it with guys reading while on the bog?? Is it coz the poo is difficult to push out and hence takes time?
It's my only true sanctuary where no one comes to talk to me (apart from the dog - he likes to join me).
Old Apr 25th 2018, 7:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I don't read on the bog. I like to go in, handle my business and get out. Never understood the 20minute shitters.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I don't read on the bog. I like to go in, handle my business and get out. Never understood the 20minute shitters.
It's private time, as Millhouse alluded. You're alone, in a safe and secure private space, it's often warm, you have the 15-20 minutes to your thoughts and magazine or book.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 9:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
It's private time, as Millhouse alluded. You're alone, in a safe and secure private space, it's often warm, you have the 15-20 minutes to your thoughts and magazine or book.
...on an uncomfortable seat, in a tiled room, with terrible lighting, with shit coming out of your bottom, smelling potentially awful and you get dead legs after 10mins.

It's nice to have a safe, secure, warm, peaceful place to read or think but the bog when shitting just doesn't ring my bells.

Each to their own though, I know some people find it's the only place to hide away and get peace from dogs / kids / wives / husbands / life itself.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

...on an uncomfortable seat, in a tiled room, with terrible lighting, with shit coming out of your bottom, smelling potentially awful and you get dead legs after 10mins.

It's nice to have a safe, secure, warm, peaceful place to read or think but the bog when shitting just doesn't ring my bells.

Each to their own though, I know some people find it's the only place to hide away and get peace from dogs / kids / wives / husbands / life itself.
No getting away from the dog.

I never spend more than 5mins for all the reasons you said. Enough for one economist article.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

It's my only true sanctuary where no one comes to talk to me (apart from the dog - he likes to join me).
in my case its my dog and cat...quite the audience
Old Apr 25th 2018, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

No getting away from the dog.

I never spend more than 5mins for all the reasons you said. Enough for one economist article.
in my case its my dog and cat...quite the audience
The only payback is to eyeball the bastards when they're having a wee or poo.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 7:36 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, back to topic: A brief history of seven killings by Marlon James. It uses the attempted assassination of Bob Marley in 1976 as the fulcrum for a mind blowing relentless drama about the metastasis of Jamaican gangs from '70s local political hoodlums to '90s multinational cartels. The cast of characters is huge and compelling and mixes real with fictional people brilliantly and seamlessly.

The whole thing is stunning and thrilling. It's a big book and needs a bit of concentration to get into because it's told from multiple viewpoints and it takes a while to get all the characters straight (there is a cast list helpfully provided). Once you do, you are then eagerly anticipating their next contribution. Orhun Pamuk's My Name is Red is similar in that respect. The only thing is that occasionally the technical brilliance is a bit too obvious rather than being implicit. It has been called "movie-esque" and compared stylistically to Tarantino but I think James is more artful. It will almost certainly end up being an HBO series but I would unreservedly recommend reading the book.

Mission, I am really really sorry for you that you don't experience the magic of reading: far more immersive and captivating than watching a movie.

One book that I pushed myself through was Pamuk's Black Book but was so glad that I did as I still regularly think about it.

I subscribed to the Economist for a while many years ago, before the internet, but I used to get guilty about backed-up editions that I hadn't fully read and couldn't bring myself to throw away. Like Millhouse I now tend to only get the print edition free from lounges or aeroplanes - even then they often pile up at home and I have to have a regular purge (fnaar fnaar)...

Last edited by Miss Ann Thrope; Apr 29th 2018 at 7:38 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 7:56 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Anyway, back to topic: A brief history of seven killings by Marlon James. It uses the attempted assassination of Bob Marley in 1976 as the fulcrum for a mind blowing relentless drama about the metastasis of Jamaican gangs from '70s local political hoodlums to '90s multinational cartels. The cast of characters is huge and compelling and mixes real with fictional people brilliantly and seamlessly.

The whole thing is stunning and thrilling. It's a big book and needs a bit of concentration to get into because it's told from multiple viewpoints and it takes a while to get all the characters straight (there is a cast list helpfully provided). Once you do, you are then eagerly anticipating their next contribution. Orhun Pamuk's My Name is Red is similar in that respect. The only thing is that occasionally the technical brilliance is a bit too obvious rather than being implicit. It has been called "movie-esque" and compared stylistically to Tarantino but I think James is more artful. It will almost certainly end up being an HBO series but I would unreservedly recommend reading the book.

Mission, I am really really sorry for you that you don't experience the magic of reading: far more immersive and captivating than watching a movie.

One book that I pushed myself through was Pamuk's Black Book but was so glad that I did as I still regularly think about it.

I subscribed to the Economist for a while many years ago, before the internet, but I used to get guilty about backed-up editions that I hadn't fully read and couldn't bring myself to throw away. Like Millhouse I now tend to only get the print edition free from lounges or aeroplanes - even then they often pile up at home and I have to have a regular purge (fnaar fnaar)...
Books reading at the moment?-jimi-2.jpg
Old Apr 30th 2018, 8:50 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Errrr, that's Jimi Hendrix (note, not even Lukaku/Stormzy...) or is there some other significance I'm missing?
Old Apr 30th 2018, 9:21 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Errrr, that's Jimi Hendrix (note, not even Lukaku/Stormzy...) or is there some other significance I'm missing?
Just testing
Old Apr 30th 2018, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished Stephen Frys books - would recommend his auto !
Old Apr 30th 2018, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Audiobooks I have listened to recently (last 2 months):

Robert White - The Fix, The Fall & The Fire - action adventure, quite Andy McNabby. Decent.
Craig Robertson - Last Refuge, A Place of Death & The Photographer - Detectivey. Decent
Stephen Leather - The Shout - action adventure. Not as good as his old Spider books.
Chris Ryan - Global Strike - Standard stuff. Decent.
Chris Ryan - Safe - A guide how to be 'safer' in the modern world by using techniques he learnt in the SAS. Surprisingly good.
Paul Finch - Stalkers & Sacrifice - Detective thrillers. Very graphic but very good. Just downloaded another 3 of the series.

They're all of the unabridged variety and between 10-13hrs a pop. Listen as I am driving to site and they're good for keeping me from collecting speeding tickets but if you're tired they're not the best idea.