Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Booked up for North Korea.....anybody been?

Booked up for North Korea.....anybody been?

Old May 14th 2010, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all
Default Re: Booked up for North Korea.....anybody been?

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Crazy doesn't even come close. NK isn't communist--its a barbaric dicatorship with total control over its population and probably the worst offender of human rights. The only reason the US haven't attacked recently is coz they don't have oil or could restrict the flow of oil. Any money you spend there will support the regime. Pure evil.

Iran, on the other hand, has a role to play in the world. Much of the rhetoric is appalling, but underneath is a different story.
or on the other hand, providing much needed money to the impoverished people??

Depends how you want to view it. I want to go somewhere different and I think this is it.
Old May 14th 2010, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

Hei75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Was planning a trip to DMZ earlier this year, but didnt make it there. Have a few colleagues who has been, and they say it is really worth it. If you get the time and chance, you should really go.
If you havent been already, I recommend South-Korea aswell. It`s nice. And if you get a chance, try Geoje Island all the way south of Busan. Really nice. And this is actually where most of the war prisoners were during the Korean war. Interesting. Hope you have a nice trip there
Old May 14th 2010, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hei75
Hi
Was planning a trip to DMZ earlier this year, but didnt make it there. Have a few colleagues who has been, and they say it is really worth it. If you get the time and chance, you should really go.
If you havent been already, I recommend South-Korea aswell. It`s nice. And if you get a chance, try Geoje Island all the way south of Busan. Really nice. And this is actually where most of the war prisoners were during the Korean war. Interesting. Hope you have a nice trip there
Unfortunately, I wont have time to visit south korea but I do plan to in the future.
(I cant travel from DPRK to there anyway, would have to go back to Beijing and then back out that route).
part of my itinerary is the DMZ from the North Side so looking forward to that
THanks for the tips and im sure i will have a good time anyway (going in september)
Old May 20th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Aw Naw!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asi...c/10129703.stm
Old May 20th 2010, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by StublueKPL
Maybe wise to have a rummage around the junk room to locate your tin hat!!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kind of glad i went in september and not now!!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds very very interesting.

Thanks BB and Norm for the clarification.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by StublueKPL
Kind of glad i went in september and not now!!
So how was it? How about a report!!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
So how was it? How about a report!!
I had forgot that I did my original post in this forum so i did a small report on the Far east site earlier.

anyway here is what i posted on that page:

I went in September, flying in from Beijing (air koryo on a 1970's style plane!) and then returning to china by train after 5 nights.

As mentioned, you do need a double entry visa into china for this.

It was a "different" experience and definitely not to everyones taste but i really enjoyed it.

As soon as you arrive, your mobile is confiscated and returned to you on departure. They also do a quick visual of check your laptop to see if you have any GPS on it as that is also banned. But cameras/video etc are all ok.

The tour is arranged through a DPRK government agency and it is all pre-planned. It includes things like Kim Il Sungs Mausoleum, War Museum, Film studios, DMZ border with the South and the main reason i went in September, the fantastic Arirang mass games.

The mass games itself was worth it alone. An amazing spectacle with around 100,000 performers. (google it for images etc). There is a difference in the seat costs as discussed earlier. Our group had the cheapest seats, 80 euros (everything is paid for in Euros/Dollars/RMB as you are not allowed the local currency). Aso for the seats itself they were perfect and the expensive seats (150-250euros) were only around 10 rows behind us so not really much difference.

The hotel is fine (there are only 2 hotels which foreigners stay in Pyongyang). I stayed in the Yanggakdo Hotel. Its like a 3* maybe in the UK. The hotel is about 50floors but most of them arent in use.It has the only karaoke in the DPRK I believe!! Its ok, clean and has even has BBC world on its tv (although this is only available in the hotel and supposedly only on the upper floors where the foreigners will be)

Basically if you want to do something different and enjoy listening to communist propaganda or enjoy communist statues etc then this is for you. (and i know it could possibly be classed as a type of "communist monarchy" nowadays)

However, if you dont like not being able to leave your hotel without a "guide", walk about the streets yourself, having to adhere to their views on the Korean War and dont fancy living in a 1960's version of Russia, then its not for you.

But I for one will remember it fondly and I am actually thinking of going back to see other sights (if possible).

If anyone needs any info just ask.

Stu
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:35 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds interesting.
Food? Beer? Entertainment? Architecture? Daily life?

My understanding is that Pyongyang is kept very much as a showcase for the country, and everywhere is incredibly poor, insanitary and ignored. Any evidence of that?

And what about the train trip--must've be interesting.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bad Marriege
I don't go on cruise ships and I don't go on organized tours..It's like being on a childrens school field trip. No matter where I go, all I need is a rented car and a map. It's sometime dangerous, I've been lost in snow storms in Croatia and in the jungles of Papua New Guinea, but thats the way it's got to be...
Aye, Bear Gryllis!

You have no choice in the DPRK. You HAVE to go with Government guides. Either that or you will need an old US president to beg for your realease from the salt mines!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Sounds interesting.
Food? Beer? Entertainment? Architecture? Daily life?

My understanding is that Pyongyang is kept very much as a showcase for the country, and everywhere is incredibly poor, insanitary and ignored. Any evidence of that?

And what about the train trip--must've be interesting.
With regards to the food, I really struggled with it. To be honest, i would have struggled in even South Korea anyway as im more of a Fish and Chips man. All of the restaurants we ate in thought were fine but not exactly Gordon Ramsay style. Whether thats what your average North Korean eats on a daily basis thought is up for debate.

Pyongyang itself has typical communist architecture and is in a reasonable condition. As you said, this cant be used to judge the whole country though. We didnt get to visit too much outside the City - we went to the DMZ and in doing so past a few towns etc and they looked pretty run down but then again, so did a lot of Pyongyang. Im sure that you wouldn't get to see the REAL countryside though and you are definitely not allowed to take pictures of Poverty (they check your camera for any photos they dont like on exit. However, its not as strict as you think. I just changed memory cards etc)

Also for entertainment, we seen the Pyongyang Orchestra (who played alongside the New York Philharmonic a few years ago). Im not really into this type of concert but they were pretty impressive and by account of some of the group, amongst the best they have ever seen)
I certainly had a few beers on the trip. Basically, you are back in the hotel for around 8pm and then left on your own. Went to the bar and was drinking the local beer (cant remember its name) and it was pretty good actually.

I think the daily life of the people must be pretty regimented.
work, eat, sleep etc but the guides we had were very nice and approachable. We actually had them singing for us on the microphone of the bus coming back from a restaurant. The guides also know more than they let on. They know exactly what life is like in seoul etc. One of the guys was trying to show one of the guides pictures of london, new york etc and she really wasnt interested. she just wanted any magazines we had!!! I later found out her father is a diplomat for the DPRK and has been stationed in Africa/Asia.

I am seriously considering going back again to try and do recently opened tours of the coastal areas. Should be a bit different.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=StublueKPL;9010479]I had forgot that I did my original post in this forum so i did a small report on the Far east site earlier.

Stu.

Thanks. Sounds as it was worth the effort. I fancy a trip there sometime also!

Jim.