British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Booked up for North Korea.....anybody been? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/booked-up-north-korea-anybody-been-667796/)

StublueKPL May 11th 2010 5:02 pm

Booked up for North Korea.....anybody been?

i know its a wee bit off the beaten track for BE in the Middle East but has anybody been to the DPRK?

Ive booked up for september for the mass games and usual tours that tourists get and wondered if anybody had experience out there? Been told they allow around 2000 tourists in per year and should be interesting to say the least.

think it might make the m.e look quite moderate!!

Confucius May 11th 2010 5:05 pm

Re: North Korea.....anybody been?

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 8558383)
i know its a wee bit off the beaten track for BE in the Middle East but has anybody been to the DPRK?

Ive booked up for september for the mass games and usual tours that tourists get and wondered if anybody had experience out there? Been told they allow around 2000 tourists in per year and should be interesting to say the least.

think it might make the m.e look quite moderate!!

You should buy the PyongYang Duty Free Raffle Ticket...1 in 2000 are great odds...

Bahtatboy May 11th 2010 5:13 pm

Re: Booked up for North Korea.....anybody been?

Many have been but few returned...

StublueKPL May 11th 2010 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 8558388)
You should buy the PyongYang Duty Free Raffle Ticket...1 in 2000 are great odds...

for a carton of 200 cigs???

might just do the usual raffle at glasgow for the bentley.......

Confucius May 11th 2010 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 8558437)

With odds of 2000:1, what did you expect???

StublueKPL May 11th 2010 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 8558455)
With odds of 2000:1, what did you expect???

maybe that model that all the 15-25, sorry 15-30, sorry 15-36 year olds from fhm voted for in the earlier thread??

Milk Toast May 11th 2010 6:09 pm

I saw this guy Bobby Lee in Honolulu in Febuary, man he was funny, but anyway it's a lot like this

Confucius May 11th 2010 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 8558463)
maybe that model that all the 15-25, sorry 15-30, sorry 15-36 year olds from fhm voted for in the earlier thread??

That'll happen in 2015, when tourist figures reach 2,500 a year...

Bijilo123 May 12th 2010 3:15 am

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 8558437)

What would you do with a Bently in Glasgow?

lionheart May 12th 2010 4:40 am

South Korea might be worth a visit but North Korea surely not.

Euc- May 12th 2010 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 (Post 8559626)
What would you do with a Bently in Glasgow?

Sell it and cash the money :thumbup:

Euc- May 12th 2010 4:52 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8559739)
South Korea might be worth a visit but North Korea surely not.

Actually that is completely wrong. Yes, it is quite of the beaten track and will probably never ever become a mainstream vacation destination. However, for the more adventurous types, who don't want to go to the standard Thailand/Australia for once it might be well worth it. For the same reasons I am planning to visit Iran and Burma. NK Is one of the few real communist countries around, and will probably be the last for a long time to come.

Check out this trip report, it's an interesting read: http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com/

But perhaps I'm just crazy, as I wouldn't mind visiting Yemen either.

Bahtatboy May 12th 2010 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 8559753)
Actually that is completely wrong. Yes, it is quite of the beaten track and will probably never ever become a mainstream vacation destination. However, for the more adventurous types, who don't want to go to the standard Thailand/Australia for once it might be well worth it. For the same reasons I am planning to visit Iran and Burma. NK Is one of the few real communist countries around, and will probably be the last for a long time to come.

Check out this trip report, it's an interesting read: http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com/

Crazy doesn't even come close. NK isn't communist--its a barbaric dicatorship with total control over its population and probably the worst offender of human rights. The only reason the US haven't attacked recently is coz they don't have oil or could restrict the flow of oil. Any money you spend there will support the regime. Pure evil.

Iran, on the other hand, has a role to play in the world. Much of the rhetoric is appalling, but underneath is a different story.

Norm_uk May 13th 2010 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 8559753)

North Korea is acually a theocratic state. The dead previous leader is still the head of state and is practically worshipped.

They tell their people that the food shipments from rich countries are tribute to appease him...

N.

flares May 13th 2010 5:21 pm

Kim Jung Ill is quite a golfer....he holds the record for hole in ones in a single round...something like 12