Book shop trends.

Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:25 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Book shop trends.

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
My precocious godson is already telling his parents: "Daddy, please download the story/movie/programme."

He's not quite four.

Tis a different generation.
yup, mini does that... he also says: 'pause it' when he wants to leave the room.

At school they already have him using the PC doing online colouring in etc.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Borders Australia and Angus & Robertson (100+ year old Aus. chain) have both declared bankruptcy in the last week.

The old model of retailing has proven to be a relic of the last century. Big floor areas, in prime retail real estate (usually malls), high rents and large staffs.

Now people can down load a book from Amazon or itunes, or order a book online for 25% of the shop cost - from an low-overhead online retailer.

Its an outdated model, fast going the way of the dodo.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spart View Post
Borders Australia and Angus & Robertson (100+ year old Aus. chain) have both declared bankruptcy in the last week.
Sussex Stationers likewise...er in Sussex
Old Feb 21st 2011, 1:57 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1 View Post
I love books and am a little bit precious over them- can't stand to see someone crease the spine of a book and folding edges over- urgh! it drives me crazy!- All of my books are in storage in the Uk (one of the few things I kept) and have started to buy a few here- its a real shame book shops are struggling in the same way music shops are- I miss the days of vinyl, but its a sign of the times I suppose! Borders on Oxford Street was an awesome bookshop- could get lost in there for days- that closed over a year ago though.

On the plus side- better for the enviroment I guess and makes it easier for people to get published.

I can't iamgine reading to my nephews from an ipad though, and you can't beat a good pop up book- 3d ipads I guess!
I'm with you on the folding of corners. Drives me nuts.

I used to call into that big Borders at least twice a week on my way home from work. I was a regular in Sussex Stationers too. Maybe I was spending more than I realised if they have now gone under...
Old Feb 21st 2011, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

The Aus bookshops are blaming the bookdepository website for their demise.
Probably the real cause is the massively overpriced books they sell when you can buy them cheaper on line.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:17 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Borders here will fold before the year end if you ask me.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster View Post
The Aus bookshops are blaming the bookdepository website for their demise.
Probably the real cause is the massively overpriced books they sell when you can buy them cheaper on line.
"Bookdepository website"?

I assume I can get books on Lee Harvey Oswald there?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:14 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
I'm with you on the folding of corners. Drives me nuts.

I used to call into that big Borders at least twice a week on my way home from work. I was a regular in Sussex Stationers too. Maybe I was spending more than I realised if they have now gone under...
What wrong with folding corners? I see books as something you use - I'll fold corners, break spines, use them as cup rests and write notes on them.

Lisa is truly anal, not a broken spine in her collection - I'm not allowed to touch them.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:16 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse View Post
What wrong with folding corners? I see books as something you use - I'll fold corners, break spines, use them as cup rests and write notes on them.

Lisa is truly anal, not a broken spine in her collection - I'm not allowed to touch them.
It's just wrong! Spoils the appearance and it makes me twitchy.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

Reading books on a Kindle is surprisingly good and I think I actually prefer it to real books now; not so with iPad however which is too heavy for long periods of reading and gives me eye strain.

the bookdepository.co.uk web site is excellent with amazon level prices but FREE worldwide delivery - takes around a week+ to receive the books here in Dubai. Coincidentally, I was talking to an Aussie bookseller in the bar on the EK A380 around a year ago and he hadn't heard of the site but was seriously worried by the free delivery option.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purdey View Post
the bookdepository.co.uk web site is excellent with amazon level prices but FREE worldwide delivery - takes around a week+ to receive the books here in Dubai. Coincidentally, I was talking to an Aussie bookseller in the bar on the EK A380 around a year ago and he hadn't heard of the site but was seriously worried by the free delivery option.
A forum I belong to in Aus, everyone has heard of bookdepository, and were posting about how much damage it has done to bookshops.
Apparently when booklists are given out at school, they recommend looking at this website before any other, as they list lots of Aussie school books, and are far cheaper.
I guess if they can do it AND provide free postage, other shops have to match up or lose out. Sad but a fact of life.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:41 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
I agree, found Beijing around Wangfujin (Sp?) Street especially good! Shanghai also.
It's amazing really - I was pleasantly surprised at how much literature they consume from all over the world. Many times I've mentioned a book to my gf and she'll say she's never heard of it but when I start relaying the story she tells me she's read it in Mandarin already!

Never had a conversation with Arab like that sadly...I think they really need to start translating more into Arabic.

N.