Book shop trends.

Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Book shop trends.

I was surprised to read last week that Magrudy's, here in Dubai, have pulled out from both The City Centre and Dubai Mall. Large rent increase were quoted as the reason.

I wonder if it is the rent or the changing book selling conditions in the market whereby elctronic delivery has passed the 50% mark in the USA. Or perhaps a combination of both?

Nothing like a real book in your hands, I say!!

Last edited by Jim Smith; Feb 20th 2011 at 5:16 am.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:36 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Book shop trends.

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
I was surprised to read last week that Magrudy's, here in Dubai, have pulled out from both The City Centre and Dubai Mall. Large rent increase were quoted as the reason.

I wonder if it is the rent or the changing book selling conditions in the market whereby elctronic delivery has passed the 50% mark in the USA. Or perhaps a combination of both?

I agree, I'd truly hate to read books on an ipad or a kindle.

That japanese bookshop in Dubai Mall is pretty great though.

MAcGrudys are good, borders is a bit shit mind.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:37 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith

I'm surprised to hear that Malls in Dubai are raising their rents given the market conditions - and more surprised to hear a recognised brand like Magrudy's can't pay the rent.

I read mostly online now (or via audiobook on my ipod) but that is purely because of time constraints and the practical advantage of not having to lug heavy books with me everywhere but I prefer a real book.

I think most people in the UAE don't really read that much (at least not the Arabic population) - I just got back from China and there are bookshops everywhere with mandarin authored books and plenty of good international translations on all subjects. Compare this to the translations into Arabic in bookshops here? I don't actually recall seeing any books translated in the Arabic section - only Koran books and stuff about the Sheikhs.

N.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I agree, I'd truly hate to read books on an ipad or a kindle.
Have you tried? I thought the same but actually really like the Kindle.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 6:41 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

love reading on the ipad now want a kindle as well. never thought i would but you get used to it surprisingly quickly.

magrudys is not great so not surprised they are moving, borders has filed for bankruptcy in the us so it looks like it will be kinokuniya only for us soon.
no great loss as thats a brilliant bookshop
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:31 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Have you tried? I thought the same but actually really like the Kindle.
Nope, I'm old school when it comes to that - it's a book or nothing for me.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

hardly surprising magrudy's have pulled out of dubai mall, their store was tiny, and out of the way on the bottom floor (incidentally, they have also closed their small concession in my spinneys)...they sell lots more than just books, so not sure it's an indication of the state of the book market, although the competition from kinokuniya in dubai mall is huge, it knocks the spots off any other book shop i've been in...

must say, the jumeirah branch is very good though and usually pretty busy so they must be doing ok...they just celebrated 35 years in the region, that is good going, so i hope they don't fold...

MM, xx
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:06 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to support Magrudy's. Really, I do, even from the bottom of my cold capitalist heart as I have a special spot for bookstores.

But not only is Kinokuniya offering a much larger and better selection of books it's also noticeably cheaper. Anywhere from 10-30% cheaper than Magrudy's for the same book.

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
hardly surprising magrudy's have pulled out of dubai mall, their store was tiny, and out of the way on the bottom floor (incidentally, they have also closed their small concession in my spinneys)...they sell lots more than just books, so not sure it's an indication of the state of the book market, although the competition from kinokuniya in dubai mall is huge, it knocks the spots off any other book shop i've been in...

must say, the jumeirah branch is very good though and usually pretty busy so they must be doing ok...they just celebrated 35 years in the region, that is good going, so i hope they don't fold...

MM, xx
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:16 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I want to support Magrudy's. Really, I do, even from the bottom of my cold capitalist heart as I have a special spot for bookstores.

But not only is Kinokuniya offering a much larger and better selection of books it's also noticeably cheaper. Anywhere from 10-30% cheaper than Magrudy's for the same book.
I would guess that the problem with many book stores in the UAE is the prices. Books are expensive, so many people are reluctant to spent the equivalent of GBP 10 for a paperback novel that they could have bought for GBP 5 in the UK.

There are also loads of second hand booksales so unless you are after new releases you can pick up novels for next to nothing.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

[ I just got back from China and there are bookshops everywhere with mandarin authored books and plenty of good international translations on all subjects.

I agree, found Beijing around Wangfujin (Sp?) Street especially good! Shanghai also.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:41 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Ethos83

Books aren't cheap over here are they? I used to get 3 for a tenner at Waterstones back in the toon.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:21 am