Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Book Club 4 British in Jeddah : )

Book Club 4 British in Jeddah : )

Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

DolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really nice
Smile Book Club 4 British in Jeddah : )

Hello
am new here
am planning to start a book club in English here in Jeddah
so who is interested?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all
Default Re: Book Club 4 British in Jeddah : )

Originally Posted by DolphinFriend
Hello
am new here
so who is interested?
Wait till I get there then I will.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

DolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Book Club 4 British in Jeddah : )

Great..but when are you coming?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Great..but when are you coming?
Currently going through the Iqama process. Its at early stages but should be done by the end of November. Based on that I will probably move over around the end of December.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
am new here
so who is interested?
Good for you!! Have you run one before? I can point you to some good websites with discussion pages (I helped set one up here in AD)...
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Book Club 4 British in Jeddah : )

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Good for you!! Have you run one before? I can point you to some good websites with discussion pages (I helped set one up here in AD)...
Nop i have not, but have had several meetings with a friend who helped me a lot by provoding me with ideas, i also talked to a lady who is leading a group here, she did me a great help...
it will be so nice of you if you let me know about the one you set and point me top helpful websites..
thank you so much

Maranelloman
i sent you msg via email hope you got it
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Nop i have not, but have had several meetings with a friend who helped me a lot by provoding me with ideas, i also talked to a lady who is leading a group here, she did me a great help...
it will be so nice of you if you let me know about the one you set and point me top helpful websites..
thank you so much

Maranelloman
I'd be happy to help, my sea-mammal affiliated friend.

There is a very good website:

www.readinggroupguides.com

that has suggestions for titles, book reviews, suggested discussion questions and (where available) critical essays.

When we set up our group, we decided to "theme" the reading - e.g. Foreign Novelists writing in English (The "your tongue down my throat" theme!), Mental Illness, Mortality, Women & Post-feminism etc...

You might also like to mix in movies - whilst reading is a solitary activity, you can all watch a movie together on a similar theme to the book you've just read and, then follow it up with a discussion session.

Best of Luck!

SYB
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by maranelloman
Currently going through the Iqama process. Its at early stages but should be done by the end of November. Based on that I will probably move over around the end of December.
Good luck with that, MoM. Have you got your acomm & schooling sorted out yet?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
I'd be happy to help, my sea-mammal affiliated friend.

There is a very good website:

www.readinggroupguides.com

that has suggestions for titles, book reviews, suggested discussion questions and (where available) critical essays.

When we set up our group, we decided to "theme" the reading - e.g. Foreign Novelists writing in English (The "your tongue down my throat" theme!), Mental Illness, Mortality, Women & Post-feminism etc...

You might also like to mix in movies - whilst reading is a solitary activity, you can all watch a movie together on a similar theme to the book you've just read and, then follow it up with a discussion session.

Best of Luck!

SYB
i like the website, thank you
this lady who leades a group here is an author, she is saudi , she choose a beautiful name for her group, when i asked her how do you choose books, she said that she keeps in touch with a Library in Riyadh, and know what is new, she keeps going to bookstores.she has one member of the group to write a report about the discussion..
am trying to choose a namefor my group and to have our own logo as well
what about your group, do have a name? how do you choose books? do you make members vote after you choose certain number of books?
i like the idea of watching a movie..
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i like the website, thank you
this lady who leades a group here is an author, she is saudi , she choose a beautiful name for her group, when i asked her how do you choose books, she said that she keeps in touch with a Library in Riyadh, and know what is new, she keeps going to bookstores.she has one member of the group to write a report about the discussion..
am trying to choose a namefor my group and to have our own logo as well
what about your group, do have a name? how do you choose books? do you make members vote after you choose certain number of books?
i like the idea of watching a movie..
Hi DF,

A good way of keeping up with what new books come out is to check the review sections of good quality publications.

The Times Literary Supplement is quite good, and is free online.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....nment/the_tls/

They also have some great feature articles. Also, BBC Radio 4 has good arts programmes that you can download as pod-casts.

The book club members nominate books, and then this gets voted on to select the titles.

I must shamefacedly admit that I have not been to our bookclub for some time - I have been busy with other projects since it was set up.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

I must shamefacedly admit that I have not been to our bookclub for some time - I have been busy with other projects since it was set up.[/QUOTE]

hmm, i have alreday planned for some projects as well, hope i can have the time to lead them all as i planned..
try to give your group some of your time..just some arrangement in your sechduel will allow it..i hope God will help you
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I must shamefacedly admit that I have not been to our bookclub for some time - I have been busy with other projects since it was set up.
hmm, i have alreday planned for some projects as well, hope i can have the time to lead them all as i planned..
try to give your group some of your time..just some arrangement in your sechduel will allow it..i hope God will help you
[/QUOTE]

Inshallah. Thank you for your wishes.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Maranelloman
DF

Got the email. I'll pass it on to my wife too and we'll be in touch closer to the time.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular