British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   boiling water (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/boiling-water-593422/)

Spugsy Feb 23rd 2009 11:47 am

boiling water

Alreet, so.....some of the lads here think I'm mad more using tap water to put in the kettle, they say the filters are crap and I should use water from the water coolers,

but surely if I boil the water its ok to use for tea?

Or is it?

Autonomy Feb 23rd 2009 11:49 am

Re: boiling water

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7313417)
Alreet, so.....some of the lads here think I'm mad more using tap water to put in the kettle, they say the filters are crap and I should use water from the water coolers,

Or is it?

Hmmm.... using bottled water to boil your kettle... does it get any more Dubai than that concept?

Of course it's fine to use tap water!!!

Spugsy Feb 23rd 2009 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7313422)
Hmmm.... using bottled water to boil your kettle... does it get any more Dubai than that concept?

Of course it's fine to use tap water!!!

yeah thats what I said, the a lot of the indians and lebanese think its madness.

And then people complain when they have to change the water bottles...

MataHari Feb 23rd 2009 12:01 pm

Or is it?

I have never used anything else than tap water...

lionheart Feb 23rd 2009 12:01 pm

Or is it?

Yes it's okay. Even in Kenya we use boiled tap water to make tea.

Charismatic Feb 23rd 2009 12:26 pm

Or is it?

That'll take out any bacterial stuff.

The impurities you are stuck with however, carbon filters etc will get out some stuff but you'll still be left with any trace metals etc.

Better to be safe and stick to beer, wine and spirits :lol:.

Norm_uk Feb 23rd 2009 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7313433)
yeah thats what I said, the a lot of the indians and lebanese think its madness.

Makes sense since the tap water in most parts of India is not safe.

Tap water in the UAE has more people checking it than bottled water - actually that's the same in most western countries too. Bottled water is often a big con (paying double, triple or more for the same commodity because it's in a plastic container) and most of it rarely comes from real natural springs.

N.

Roadking Feb 23rd 2009 12:30 pm

Or is it?

I thought this was gonna be another Spugsy "How do I go about..." :p

Dry as Dust Feb 23rd 2009 12:38 pm

The water in the mains here is fine. The problem with tap water is that it has been sitting around in roof or ground tanks in both villas and apartment blocks. The water in the tanks is at relatively high temperatures, often with inadequate covers (hence birds, vermin, dust etc.) can get in, in conditions suitable for bacterial growth.

Boiling will kill bacteria but only if you do it for long enough - which you probably don't.

I do drink boiled tap water at a push - but not for preference.

There are potential problems with the quality of water in the large bottles - but at least you can see what you are getting.

Sandboy Feb 23rd 2009 12:44 pm

I do it but don't tell the Mrs...

the bottled water factory next to us has it's water delivered by exactly the same tankers ( and it only comes from one place ) that deliver the water to our factory for industrial use

Hello.Kitty Feb 23rd 2009 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7313553)
Makes sense since the tap water in most parts of India is not safe.

Tap water in the UAE has more people checking it than bottled water - actually that's the same in most western countries too. Bottled water is often a big con (paying double, triple or more for the same commodity because it's in a plastic container) and most of it rarely comes from real natural springs.

N.

yeah, remember the "Dessani" (sp?) thing from a few years back? The Coca Cola group decided to do its own bottled water... but then was caught using mains water from Sidcup to fill its bottles.

Anyhow, I have to admit I use bottled water in the kettle and also for cooking my daughter's meals... didn't do it at first, but after a couple of times of the tap-water running yellow, I thought maybe I'd like to.

NorthernLad Feb 23rd 2009 1:30 pm

Or is it?

Coming from Newcastle, you are worried about the tap water here :confused:

Madam Medusa Feb 23rd 2009 1:33 pm

Or is it?

lol, spugsy...even i use tap water for my kettle...

MM, xx

B Bear Feb 23rd 2009 1:56 pm

...as long as you boil for 4 minutes it will be OK

shakh your bootie Feb 23rd 2009 2:04 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3378791.ece

It is morally reprehensible to drink bottled water, oh my planet-raping friends.....