British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Boating in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/boating-abu-dhabi-615331/)

cotteswold_caz Jun 17th 2009 1:25 pm

Boating in Abu Dhabi

I am one of those lucky people with enough disposable income to be able to purchase a boat.

The problem is the person i am purchasing from is a little unsure of the rules for reregistering the boat as he has been told that the procedure has changed since he registered his last in 2007 (the registration has expired). For instance he did not need to show the boat last time, just the paperwork.

has anyone registered a boat recently and if so what is the procedure required.

In addition in Dubai you are required to do a day skipper course, is this same procedure required in Abu Dhabi.

benzonar Jun 17th 2009 3:39 pm

Re: Boating in Abu Dhabi

Give the Coast Guard a ring, they should know.

02-6731900
Coast Guard (Abu Dhabi)

MacScot Jun 17th 2009 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by cotteswold_caz (Post 7672890)
I am one of those lucky people with enough disposable income to be able to purchase a boat.

The problem is the person i am purchasing from is a little unsure of the rules for reregistering the boat as he has been told that the procedure has changed since he registered his last in 2007 (the registration has expired). For instance he did not need to show the boat last time, just the paperwork.

In addition in Dubai you are required to do a day skipper course, is this same procedure required in Abu Dhabi.

I re-registered mine in Dubai in January. You do have to have the boat inspected. However, you do not have to take the boat to the coastguard test centre, they have a list of companies who have staff to inspect your boat in situ at you own marina berth. They do all the paperwork for you and get you your registration certificate. Charges are about AED 1,600 (well at least in Dubai), which is cheap considering Dubai Marina is about 2 hour's boat ride from Dubai Creek where the coastguard test centre is located in a military zone.

busybee2 Jun 17th 2009 5:52 pm

well i think that its different in dxb to ad. the procedure is yes when you register you must get it inspected by the coast guard, and this is done at mina port area, and it doesnt cost you anything. you have to go to the DOT offices in khalifa flats, with all paperwork, fee of 500 on a card, take your boat to be inspected at mina port, they then do a police check which can take 10 days, you go back to coast guard, to get the ok, then back to khalifa flats, to pay your 500 and get your registration card, and then all done. so its a fraction of the cost.

busybee2 Jun 17th 2009 5:53 pm

no day skipper course required.

andrewpops Jun 17th 2009 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by cotteswold_caz (Post 7672890)

If you haven't sorted out a marina space - be prepared to park you new boat on the road. There is a chronic shortage of space in Abu Dhabi for berths, worth looking into

busybee2 Jun 18th 2009 4:12 am

and then you have the problem of "where" you can "put" it in the water.

cotteswold_caz Jun 18th 2009 4:36 am

Thank you all for your information. Guess registering it in Abu Dhabi is the cheapest approach, just as well i live here.

Yes i am aware of the shortage of launching and resting places for boats. I have a berth for mine but out of interest where to people launch

Sorry for posting in wrong section i was confused by initial forum page. I am new to forums