Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Boat for a Tight Landlubber

Boat for a Tight Landlubber

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:52 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boat for a Tight Landlubber

I want a small, cheap, second-hand boat for fishing, island-hopping and chilling. The plan is to do this on a tight budget—I've identified a couple of 17ft examples with around a 140hp 2-stroke outboard. However, I'm a complete newbie re boats. Assuming I keep the thing on a trailer on my driveway, what expenses am I looking at for things like insurance, registration, maintenance and the like?

Thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:57 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boat for a Tight Landlubber

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I want a small, cheap, second-hand boat for fishing, island-hopping and chilling. The plan is to do this on a tight budget—I've identified a couple of 17ft examples with around a 140hp 2-stroke outboard. However, I'm a complete newbie re boats. Assuming I keep the thing on a trailer on my driveway, what expenses am I looking at for things like insurance, registration, maintenance and the like?

Thanks
Mate,

I know a lad who runs boat trips - not on teh same tip but he has an ex police launch boat and he's going to take us out fishing.

6-10am, holds 10 of us and they supply all fishing gear, bait, tackle etc etc - you just turn up with booze and off you go.

Sounds a good 'un.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Mate,
I know a lad who runs boat trips - not on teh same tip but he has an ex police launch boat and he's going to take us out fishing. 6-10am, holds 10 of us and they supply all fishing gear, bait, tackle etc etc - you just turn up with booze and off you go. Sounds a good 'un.
Make sure you carry your alcohol on-board-ship licence because you know damned well that the Police will be after you, Spugsy.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

JulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really nice

They were on about licencing the trailers for boat towing as well, so you need to look at that. So you have an RYA powerboat licence? Although it's not enforced they will do it at some point.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:01 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesinDXB
So you have an RYA powerboat licence? Although it's not enforced they will do it at some point.
For 140hp? No, I don't. Do I really need one? If so, how do I get?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

JulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really nice

You have to do a course with one of the registered centres. Not necessary right now, but useful.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:37 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

For 140hp? No, I don't. Do I really need one? If so, how do I get?
You don't need a licence for a small recreational/fishing boat.

Assuming you are in Dubai, then:

Insurance:
Insurance will be around AED2,500 to AED4,000 for hull and public liability. May be higher as you say you do not have experience.

Launching
There are several free slips to launch your boat (e.g., at 25.151908, +55.197490‎ (+25° 9' 6.87", +55° 11' 50.96") on Jumeira Road Beach. You may have to give a few dirhams to your local helpers. You can also get petrol there and possibly an area to store your boat and trailer (for a fee).

Registration
On the Road to Maritime Island RTA building at 25 degrees 15'17.41" N and 55 degrees 16'36.77"E - about AED 400. BUT, first check if you have to fit a compulsory transponder - cost is a deposit of AED7,000 which you will get back. Check to see if the boat already has a transponder (though unlikely as the requirement has just come in).

Trailer
You won't get a wet berth in the marinas (too expensive (AED 15,000 to AED24,000 per annum) plus they do not allow boats with 2-stroke engines. Trailering on your own drive is fine, but the authorities are stopping people parking trailored boats on the street outside their homes.

Boat Inspection
The boat may have to be inspected before getting it registered ( e.g., for compliance with safety, such as flares, lifejackets, torch etc).

Good luck. Remember you need a fishing licence (still free, I think) plus a marina or other authority (with a fax machine) to get your coastguard clearance - just go out on your boat !

The red tape is annoying
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

Or come to RAK and just pay reg every year

They are introducing the transponder here too but no insurance needed, no license needed, the RAKSA sailing club doesn't charge for mooring if you're a member (800AED a year I think) and the beer is so cheap it may as well be free

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/rak-sailing-club.php
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:51 am
Hit 16's

Thanks all, especiall MacScot. Actually I'm in Abu Dhabi--I guess much the same as in Dubai?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, especiall MacScot. Actually I'm in Abu Dhabi--I guess much the same as in Dubai?
pretty much - an ex colleague has a boat here and I remember him running similar costs by me when I was considering one.

The problem in AD though is an absolute dearth of free or near launching places.

There is one at the port end of the Corniche but you'll need to make sure that your car has a good handbreak as it is very steep - many a car has been pulled in by the boat on the back. Mini and I used to enjoy watching people trying to launch from there...!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:12 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, when you mentioned "island hopping" I should have realised it was Abu Dhabi. Procedures in AD will be similar...best to chat to one of the staff at one of the local marinas in AD to get the low down on registration procedures and other costs in the Emirate.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Is there a good place in Dubai to do some kind of introductory course to boating for a complete novice? It would be good to learn enough to be able to rent a boat for a day's fishing / pottering about every once in a while.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:41 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by miuser2
Is there a good place in Dubai to do some kind of introductory course to boating for a complete novice? It would be good to learn enough to be able to rent a boat for a day's fishing / pottering about every once in a while.
I was thinking along the lines of: tow boat to somewhere where there are some ethnics who could help me get it in and out of the water for a few beer vouchers, install crumpet and beer, start engine, push handle thingy forward and get the hang of steering, head for an island or two, fish a bit, swim a bit, drink a bit, head back... Now, what's the mnemonic for remembering port and starboard?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 1:57 pm
A bubbly-jock...

I was thinking along the lines of: tow boat to somewhere where there are some ethnics who could help me get it in and out of the water for a few beer vouchers, install crumpet and beer, start engine, push handle thingy forward and get the hang of steering, head for an island or two, fish a bit, swim a bit, drink a bit, head back... Now, what's the mnemonic for remembering port and starboard?
Port = Pissed
Starboard = Sozzled

Obviously, sozzled starts with an 'S' and has more letters in it as does starboard...

Last edited by MacScot; Feb 3rd 2011 at 1:59 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by miuser2
Both the Dubai Offshore Sailig Club and JPS Marine do the RYA Powerboat 1 & 2 courses, which covers the basics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.