British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Blocked websites (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/blocked-websites-698693/)

The Dean Dec 31st 2010 1:40 pm

Blocked websites

Is there any way to get round the blocking?

A mate in the US has told me about a site which apparently has some very interesting stuff about a country beginning with "I" and ending in "L"......... ;)

lionheart Dec 31st 2010 1:46 pm

Re: Blocked websites

Istanbul is only a city, not a country,;)

Blue Cat Dec 31st 2010 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9069108)

A mate in the US has told me about a site which apparently has some very interesting stuff about a country beginning with "I" and ending in "L"......... ;)

VPN?

The Dean Dec 31st 2010 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9069119)
VPN?

No idea how to do that - I still refer to a screen as a 'telly'..............

Blue Cat Dec 31st 2010 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9069128)

me neither, but basically you search for one, buy it, then you view your telly via a site in the UK or US instead of one here that is censored to shit :)

lionheart Dec 31st 2010 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9069128)

Try Witopia...it does the business for US$39.99 per annum.:thumbup:

norsk Dec 31st 2010 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9069217)
me neither, but basically you search for one, buy it, then you view your telly via a site in the UK or US instead of one here that is censored to shit :)

If all you want to do is look at blocked websites once in a while you can use Hotspot Shield. It's basically a free to use VPN application which is really simple to use. However, the site is blocked so you'll need to get the application through a torrent or similar. Works like a dream though..

Bob Dec 31st 2010 9:46 pm

TechTutorialChannel.com Tells you how to do it, well how to use iplayer etc for free, but it's the same principle....only for web browser based stuff.

Bob Dec 31st 2010 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9069305)
If all you want to do is look at blocked websites once in a while you can use Hotspot Shield.

How about their UK version, Expat Shield?

Jim Smith Jan 1st 2011 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9069886)
How about their UK version, Expat Shield?

Blocked!

BurpusMe Jan 1st 2011 5:32 am

Google "Forex Unblock Proxy"

A few of those results work.

Duffster Jan 17th 2011 7:06 pm

Was asking about this today at the office and some of the local saudis said they use hotspot shield (as already suggested by #norsk). Also came across this when googling which is very helpful http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2363302,00.asp :sneaky:

Gheko Jan 17th 2011 9:48 pm

i found easy-hide-ip.com. the 3 day free trial worked a treat. just $29.99 i think to buy it too...

Hello.Kitty Jan 18th 2011 11:55 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9069305)
If all you want to do is look at blocked websites once in a while you can use Hotspot Shield. It's basically a free to use VPN application which is really simple to use. However, the site is blocked so you'll need to get the application through a torrent or similar. Works like a dream though..

nah, if you google it, the titles (not blocked) will tell you who the developer is and their direct site isn't blocked.

We've actually just set up with a UK-based VPN that's about £5 a month... being able to access 4OD and iPlayer is fab, even though I thought I'd never say it!