British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   blind spot (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/blind-spot-905821/)

mission Nov 14th 2017 9:46 am

blind spot

is it worth having the 'blind spot' option in a car?

jam25mack Nov 14th 2017 10:03 am

Re: blind spot

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12381660)
is it worth having the 'blind spot' option in a car?

WTF is that? Differently angled bit of mirror on the wing mirror? Or some electronic sensor / beeping or whatever?

Personally I just look in my mirror and then over my shoulder old school styleeee. Seems to work fine.

Gavtek Nov 14th 2017 10:09 am

If you mean the orange light that illuminates when someone is in your blind spot, I had it on a previous car but never relied on it, always still looked over my shoulder. Certainly not worth paying extra money for.

UKCityGent Nov 14th 2017 10:10 am

I had the option put in - as I tend to be a lazy driver sometimes trying to juggle cigarettes and coffee and driving at the same time and be aware of mad Egyptian/Indian drivers who seem intent on coming close to me ~!

mission Nov 14th 2017 10:15 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12381674)
WTF is that? Differently angled bit of mirror on the wing mirror? Or some electronic sensor / beeping or whatever?

Personally I just look in my mirror and then over my shoulder old school styleeee. Seems to work fine.

it's usually a yellow triangle that 'flashes' on your side mirrors when someone is in your blind spot in the lane next to you.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 14th 2017 10:16 am

I have it on the new motor and it's handy if I'm honest.

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12381674)

**** looking over your shoulder, just lean forward. Changes the angle of the mirror and stops you having to face the wrong way.

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12381685)
I had the option put in - as I tend to be a lazy driver sometimes trying to juggle cigarettes and coffee and driving at the same time and be aware of mad Egyptian/Indian drivers who seem intent on coming close to me ~!

Legend.

Inselaffen Nov 14th 2017 10:17 am

yes but not to rely on fully

mission Nov 14th 2017 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Gavtek (Post 12381682)
If you mean the orange light that illuminates when someone is in your blind spot, I had it on a previous car but never relied on it, always still looked over my shoulder. Certainly not worth paying extra money for.

yep thats the one i mean...the number of times i have had close shaves because i didn't see the car in my blind spot, makes me wonder whether its worth having it added in.

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12381685)

do you recall how much you paid for it,
if you don't mind sharing that, no worries if you rather not say

mission Nov 14th 2017 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12381693)
I have it on the new motor and it's handy if I'm honest.

**** looking over your shoulder, just lean forward. Changes the angle of the mirror and stops you having to face the wrong way.

i've alwasy looked over my should like JAM describes -
never thought to lean forward and see the angle on the side mirror:thumbup:.

Millhouse Nov 14th 2017 10:20 am

You've lasted this long without it...

I have it on my car, and it's switched off.

mission Nov 14th 2017 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12381698)
You've lasted this long without it...

I have it on my car, and it's switched off.

exactly what my bro said

UKCityGent Nov 14th 2017 10:56 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12381695)

do you recall how much you paid for it,
if you don't mind sharing that, no worries if you rather not say

It was part and parcel of the full options package (as a standalone package it costs about $3000 in KWI)

Maxima Nov 14th 2017 10:57 am

Once you use it, you will start to rely on it, just like a reversing camera

jam25mack Nov 14th 2017 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12381693)

I have a bike licence so the whole doing a 'life saver' look is ingrained into me. Not many second chances on a bike.

I probably do the lean forward thing too... not really sure, its all automatic.

Bahtatboy Nov 14th 2017 12:59 pm

Probably worth it on a coupe (M2) with restricted 3/4 view. Bahtatgirl hates the 4 series mainly for that reason (and it's a GC, so not even as bad as the 2-door).

But do they work? People's settings of rear view and door mirrors vary, so one person's blind spot may not be another's...