British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bl**dy Hell the Housing tax people found me (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bl%2A%2Ady-hell-housing-tax-people-found-me-704335/)

Ethos83 Feb 7th 2011 11:50 am

Bl**dy Hell the Housing tax people found me

Sadly so.

First time I've ever had to pay the housing fee in Dubai.

Why couldn't they wait a few more months before "discovering" me.

Question - this month's dewa bill has the fee which is indeedy 1/12th of 5% of my rent. Given that I escaped their notice for five months is there a chance they'll make me cough up the remaining "unpaid" housing fees when I cancel the DEWA?

MacScot Feb 7th 2011 11:55 am

Re: Bl**dy Hell the Housing tax people found me

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9158521)
Sadly so.

Question - this month's dewa bill has the fee which is indeedy 1/12th of 5% of my rent. Given that I escaped their notice for five months is there a chance they'll make me cough up the remaining "unpaid" housing fees when I cancel the DEWA?

Yep, I got caught after having escaped the housing fee for 4 years..though it is only abut AED300/month. :(

Mogs Feb 7th 2011 12:28 pm

Sadly so.

They didn't back date anything when I left the 1st villa I stayed in a few years ago (only paid 2 months before moving house). Been in another 3 villas since and they've not found me again....yet !

DXBsocial Feb 7th 2011 6:06 pm

Sadly so.

I'd hazard a guess at yes after today. I went to DEWA to check my balance and it seems whilst they have been billing me, I've not been receiving their bills through the post, 3127 for everything since August so not to bad.

And the housing tax was correct to.

hnd Feb 7th 2011 11:16 pm

Registered for housing fee at the last minute last year and have had to pay since, I think, December 2010, but nothing backdated. Been here since 2005 so not a bad result.