British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/big-birthday-bash-ideas-please-821412/)

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 13th 2014 10:15 am

Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please

Afternoon fellow members,

In just under a month I have my big Sister coming for her 30th Birthday. She's not been here before, apart from with work but she didn't see Dubai, she was sent straight to Fujairah Port. Hahahaha.

I want to blow her simple little mind and send her home thinking she's had the best birthday ever.

Now, there are several things I can sort, like a nice brunch (I should mention she's here for 12 days), Khalifa visit - probably At.mosphere as I haven't been yet, NEOS, Observatory, all those nice bars to take her to and show off.

However, she's going to be alone for a few days whilst I'm working and wants to go scuba diving - any suggestions???

Anything else other than the usual that I'm overlooking?; Gold/Spice souks, Malls, Ravi's, Museum (maybe) etc?

Millhouse Jan 13th 2014 10:24 am

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please

I would highly recommend a trip to Musandam and do the full day boat cruise... end it with some pissed camping on the beach before driving home the next day.

I can probably arrange for a dune bashing trip too if you wanted.

NorthernLad Jan 13th 2014 10:30 am

Brunch in Yalumba, she'll not forget it.

Barasti for sundowners during the week.

Walk up the creek, abra across and into the souks (apparently you can also walk around the place where they make dhows, not sure if a lass would be interested in that).

Dragonmart.

The Pavilion dive club in JBH used to offer a variety of dive trips, although Al Boom are likely cheaper.

kittycat1 Jan 13th 2014 10:32 am

awww aren't you a nice brother :thumbsup: I got jack all from my brother- he didn't even come out for my dinner/drinks.

360 is a must.
Also take her to the waterparks- always a fun day. and as she hasn't been before desert safari- or how about quad biking? Boat day trip? Global Village is great for gifts and feels more unique than the malls? Helicopter ride over Dubai?

For time on her own- I have no idea about scuba but I am sure she could kill a day at a Spa Treat her to a day at the one and only pool use or even a treatment- that's my indulgence. If she like shopping as well I am sure Dubai mall would keep her entertained for the day.

I'd also say let her have a lazy day just by your pool with a good book, time to wind down and relax. see if she wants to get her hair done, sleep whatever.

And finally if you do all of the above please adopt me Scamp :-)

kittycat1 Jan 13th 2014 10:33 am

Do not send her to Dragonmart.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 13th 2014 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11075974)
I would highly recommend a trip to Musandam and do the full day boat cruise... end it with some pissed camping on the beach before driving home the next day.

I can probably arrange for a dune bashing trip too if you wanted.

I'll email you, thanks mate.

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11075990)
Brunch in Yalumba, she'll not forget it.

Barasti for sundowners during the week.

Walk up the creek, abra across and into the souks (apparently you can also walk around the place where they make dhows, not sure if a lass would be interested in that).

Dragonmart.

The Pavilion dive club in JBH used to offer a variety of dive trips, although Al Boom are likely cheaper.

I don't like Yalumba, sorry.
Barasti mid-week is a good shout and on my list.
I know what you mean re; Creek. We'll park on Deira side, walk around souks, get an abra, have some lunch and then wander about.
Dragonmart - maybe. Not sure why but it might be funny. Although I'm technically on a ban as last time I went I spent 250dhs on a full size replica of the world cup trophy...

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11075993)
awww aren't you a nice brother :thumbsup: I got jack all from my brother- he didn't even come out for my dinner/drinks.

360 is a must.
Also take her to the waterparks- always a fun day. and as she hasn't been before desert safari- or how about quad biking? Boat day trip? Global Village is great for gifts and feels more unique than the malls? Helicopter ride over Dubai?

For time on her own- I have no idea about scuba but I am sure she could kill a day at a Spa Treat her to a day at the one and only pool use or even a treatment- that's my indulgence. If she like shopping as well I am sure Dubai mall would keep her entertained for the day.

I'd also say let her have a lazy day just by your pool with a good book, time to wind down and relax. see if she wants to get her hair done, sleep whatever.

And finally if you do all of the above please adopt me Scamp :-)

360 - Added to the list of must-visit bars, thanks!
Waterpark - maybe, not sure how interested she'd be.
Spa - maybe, she's a bit of a tomboy, she's an Engineer by profession and fixes shit on boats, scuba dives, sails and generally isn't a girly-girl...not a lesbian, no. (Before anyone asks...).
She may well fancy a few days to chill so will get them when I'm at work.

I might be able to adopt you, the application process is easy:

Mother me, in an annoying over-protective way that makes me not particularly like you sometimes, but leaves me with a deep-down feeling of true sibling love. Do that for 25 years and you're part of the fam.

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11075995)

:rofl:

Bahtatboy Jan 13th 2014 10:49 am

My kids really enjoyed their scuba experience at the Sheraton, but--their enjoyment aside--I'm not sure I'd recommend it. What was meant to be theory + swimming pool familiarisation + sea experience, actually skipped the middle bit, and after 1 1/2 hours of theory and handling the equipment, they went straight into the sea and after about 15 minutes in waist / chest-deep water disappeared for 40 minutes. 1 instructor and my 3 kids. I was bricking it by the end.

Cypselos Jan 13th 2014 10:53 am

Fish Shack.

Bahtatboy Jan 13th 2014 10:57 am

First hotel on the right after crossing the bridge going from Barasti to JBR--they have an outdoor restaurant (not overlooking the sea) where you can get excellent mezze and booze, and sit under bit umbrellas in a very Arabic atmosphere.

NorthernLad Jan 13th 2014 11:11 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11075995)

Dragonmart is great fun, we've taken visitors and they love it.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 13th 2014 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11076015)
My kids really enjoyed their scuba experience at the Sheraton, but--their enjoyment aside--I'm not sure I'd recommend it. What was meant to be theory + swimming pool familiarisation + sea experience, actually skipped the middle bit, and after 1 1/2 hours of theory and handling the equipment, they went straight into the sea and after about 15 minutes in waist / chest-deep water disappeared for 40 minutes. 1 instructor and my 3 kids. I was bricking it by the end.

That's almost identical to my first and only experience of scuba diving. On holiday in Spain, off a beach, bloke told us some simple signals, how to clean out the mouth piece and face mask and then told us to walk off the beach into the water. I got about 30 yards out and told him to **** it. Straight out of that mess. Fortunately Dad and the sisters survived!

winter Jan 13th 2014 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11075965)
Afternoon fellow members,

In just under a month I have my big Sister coming for her 30th Birthday. She's not been here before, apart from with work but she didn't see Dubai, she was sent straight to Fujairah Port. Hahahaha.

I want to blow her simple little mind and send her home thinking she's had the best birthday ever.

Now, there are several things I can sort, like a nice brunch (I should mention she's here for 12 days), Khalifa visit - probably At.mosphere as I haven't been yet, NEOS, Observatory, all those nice bars to take her to and show off.

However, she's going to be alone for a few days whilst I'm working and wants to go scuba diving - any suggestions???

Anything else other than the usual that I'm overlooking?; Gold/Spice souks, Malls, Ravi's, Museum (maybe) etc?

One of my colleagues, just had her 30th birthday bash, and her friends hired the limo hummer car, she seem to enjoy it, not sure which brunches it took them to, but you probably can't get that in England. The company seemed to organise everything, balloons and all that

kittycat1 Jan 13th 2014 2:19 pm

Sorry winter that is so so wrong!

kittycat1 Jan 13th 2014 2:29 pm

Northern lad don't get me wrong I like dragon mart but really- for guests? Really?

winter Jan 13th 2014 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11076235)
Sorry winter that is so so wrong!

It was just a suggestion, personally it's not for me, but Scamp asked for suggestions

Myusernamewastaken Jan 14th 2014 2:12 am

12 days in the UAE and not one visit to the capital? The grand mosque and possibly emirates palace?

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 14th 2014 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Myusernamewastaken (Post 11077210)
12 days in the UAE and not one visit to the capital? The grand mosque and possibly emirates palace?

Excellent shout. On my list as I've done neither.

Millhouse Jan 14th 2014 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11077285)
Excellent shout. On my list as I've done neither.

the palace can be missed, but the mosque is awesome - don't go on a Friday (obviously) and try and go before 10am for the free tour.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 14th 2014 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11077296)
the palace can be missed, but the mosque is awesome - don't go on a Friday (obviously) and try and go before 10am for the free tour.

I remember looking into it before and the timings are online, will investigate. Thanks

the_red_sheep Jan 14th 2014 4:27 am

Ferrari World on the way back from the mosque?

Stick her on the Big bus tour one day when you’re working

Cocktails in the Burj al Arab

Boat party i.e. the one from Jebel Ali where you book in with a load of randoms

Al Qasr brunch is excellent for visitors

Trip out to Hatta, RAK or Fujairah

Any decent gigs or sporting events on while she’s here? Meydan, Polo, camel races?

Send her on the bus into Sharjah for the day ; )

Mogs Jan 14th 2014 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11076007)
I'll email you, thanks mate.

I know what you mean re; Creek. We'll park on Deira side, walk around souks, get an abra, have some lunch and then wander about.

I would suggest parking in Carrefour car park on Bur Dubai side ( it's free if you buy something and by far the easiest place I have found to get a space in that part of town) and get the abra across to spice/gold souk, abra back to Bur Dubai side and go to the restaurant with seating overlooking the creek - no idea the name of it but it's at the end nearest the abra station (you'll see the seating area from the abra). Food is not bad and our 1st time visitors always enjoyed it.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 14th 2014 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 11077312)
I would suggest parking in Carrefour car park on Bur Dubai side ( it's free if you buy something and by far the easiest place I have found to get a space in that part of town) and get the abra across to spice/gold souk, abra back to Bur Dubai side and go to the restaurant with seating overlooking the creek - no idea the name of it but it's at the end nearest the abra station (you'll see the seating area from the abra). Food is not bad and our 1st time visitors always enjoyed it.

I know the one, we've been in that restaurant with every visitor, not too expensive and decent tucker.

I found an underground car park on Deira side somewhere within about 5 mins of the souks. Not expensive and means you get to drive along the creek down to the front and walk in amongst some of the 'proper' bits of the city.

mentalist Jan 14th 2014 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11077318)
I found an underground car park on Deira side somewhere within about 5 mins of the souks. Not expensive and means you get to drive along the creek down to the front and walk in amongst some of the 'proper' bits of the city.

Pray tell

NorthernLad Jan 14th 2014 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11076007)
I don't like Yalumba, sorry.

Me neither, but it's an unforgettable experience.

We went to Bice brunch at Hilton JBR late last year and was one of best we had...it's not the queuing up like being at school type brunch, but excellent food and very civilised - then up to Pure bar which is very nice.

Millhouse Jan 14th 2014 4:56 am

I've still never been to a brunch in Dubai - quite happy about that.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 14th 2014 5:14 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 11077326)
Pray tell

I think...because I just sort of remember each time I go...it is on Al Ahmadia Street in Deira. When you look on Google Maps it's at the Civil Defence station end, probably around the Purvi Enterprises junction. It's got a big 'P' sign (I think the road is one-way and it's therefore on the left) and there is a bank on the corner after it (if it's on your left).

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 14th 2014 5:17 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11077328)
Me neither, but it's an unforgettable experience.

We went to Bice brunch at Hilton JBR late last year and was one of best we had...it's not the queuing up like being at school type brunch, but excellent food and very civilised - then up to Pure bar which is very nice.

Sorry was a bit blunt, I don't dislike it, just not a massive fan. Agree that it's unforgettable. I think Mina Salaam is winning so far - reasonable price and still has big 'wow' factor.

Will look into Bice - Thanks.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11077333)
I've still never been to a brunch in Dubai - quite happy about that.

You're like my boss, he refuses to go, hates them.

The last four I've done have all been at Bubblicious so avoiding that for a year or so.

mentalist Jan 14th 2014 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Myusernamewastaken (Post 11077210)

Doesn't the sister already live and work in Fujeirah so she can visit Abu Dhabi at her own convenience, surely?

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 14th 2014 5:33 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 11077360)
Doesn't the sister already live and work in Fujeirah so she can visit Abu Dhabi at her own convenience, surely?

Nope, she had some work to there a few years ago but only for a matter of days.

She was in the port too, so probably saw the inside of a container ship and little else.

britexpat76 Jan 14th 2014 7:43 am

Take her to the Panorama, seaview or York hotel for some 'sightseeing'?

co durham boy Jan 14th 2014 10:39 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11077450)
Take her to the Panorama, seaview or York hotel for some 'sightseeing'?

She'll like that she's a lesbian ;)

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 14th 2014 10:52 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11077660)
She'll like that she's a lesbian ;)

:rofl::rofl:

Now, two of them I know, but the Panorama - talk to me...

Bahtatboy Jan 14th 2014 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11077679)

If I were being generous, I'd refer to the Seaview as intimate and engaging, the York akin to a cross between a battleship and an 80's disco, and the Paranormal as sweaty, heaving and, well...paranormal: most of the clientele are as ugly as the hookers.

co durham boy Jan 14th 2014 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11077679)

Opposite the Majestic Hotel in Bur Dubai . The bar on the left handside as you go in is called Jockeys .

Proper den of iniquity

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 14th 2014 11:11 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11077684)
Opposite the Majestic Hotel in Bur Dubai . The bar on the left handside as you go in is called Jockeys .

Proper den of iniquity

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11077682)
If I were being generous, I'd refer to the Seaview as intimate and engaging, the York akin to a cross between a battleship and an 80's disco, and the Paranormal as sweaty, heaving and, well...paranormal: most of the clientele are as ugly as the hookers.

I MUST have been to this place.

The Dean Jan 14th 2014 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11077698)

Yes............. we have.............. :sneaky:

britexpat76 Jan 15th 2014 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11077698)

When I 1st went out to Dubai my mate booked me into the Pano. I arrived in Dubai thinking I wouldn't get a pint of strongbow or engage ladies for a while - Then I walked in Jockeys..................

NorthernLad Jan 15th 2014 9:34 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11079200)
When I 1st went out to Dubai my mate booked me into the Pano. I arrived in Dubai thinking I wouldn't get a pint of strongbow or engage ladies for a while - Then I walked in Jockeys..................

I had my stag weekend in Dubai and missed this one. Never been.

We did make it to Cyclone, a real eye-opener to some of the guys who thought Dubai was conservative.

britexpat76 Jan 15th 2014 9:39 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11079325)

We did make it to Cyclone, a real eye-opener to some of the guys who thought Dubai was conservative.

Eye opener is one way of looking at it............ To be fair to the place the patrons (expats) are a good bunch and made me feel welcome, it was happy hour 5-7 ish and cheap, 18 chips a pint? Worth an early doors few. Kix can tell you much more about it than I............

The Dean Jan 15th 2014 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11079325)

Ah............ Cyclone - gone to the great bar-graveyard in the sky, along with The Bunker, The Rattlesnake, The Red Lion, Waxy O'Connor's........... many others will come back to me if I think about it for long enough............

Talking of bars - if any of you knew Dave 'Growler' Pritchard (one of the great Dubai stalwarts who died last month) there will be a memorial drinks party at the George and Dragon (Ambassador Hotel, Bur Dubai) on Friday lunchtime, followed by a period of more sombre and understated mourning at..... er..... Fibber's as the day wears on...........