British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bid to smuggle woman?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bid-smuggle-woman-801237/)

Irishbeekeeper Jun 26th 2013 6:48 am

Bid to smuggle woman?!

I'm sorry, wait...she was trying to get in? not out? :thumbsup:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-...ails-1.1201550

Kix Jun 26th 2013 6:53 am

Re: Bid to smuggle woman?!

I was just about to post this too. How bizarre, all I can think of is that she needed to get out of Bahrain, no passport, next best option I guess is Saudi.

I'd have got a replacement one from the UK before I even contemplated that mind you.

The driver was British (male I presume as he was driving), the smuggled woman "European".

Bizarre.

Irishbeekeeper Jun 26th 2013 6:59 am

love?

Kix Jun 26th 2013 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10773819)
love?

But with no passport?

Maybe she was Latvian or something. Who knows.

mikelincs Jun 26th 2013 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10773830)
But with no passport?

Maybe she was Latvian or something. Who knows.

I see that article says 9 of the 27 million living there are expats, which one of the 9 are you? seems to me that more than 9 post on here, or is that just bad writing?

Irishbeekeeper Jun 26th 2013 7:55 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10773877)
or is that just bad writing?

from gulfnews??? PERISH the thought!!! :sneaky:

The Dean Jun 26th 2013 10:10 am

I'm surprised they found her at all............ that cleverly concealed hiding place under the carpet in front of the seat would have fooled me........... :blink:

Kix Jun 26th 2013 10:32 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10774034)
I'm surprised they found her at all............ that cleverly concealed hiding place under the carpet in front of the seat would have fooled me........... :blink:

Very sneaky those British eh? Surely in the boot under the same stuff, packed neatly, would have been better?

I've only had the odd cursory glance every-time I've been across a border here.

Millhouse Jun 26th 2013 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10774062)
Very sneaky those British eh? Surely in the boot under the same stuff, packed neatly, would have been better?

I've only had the odd cursory glance every-time I've been across a border here.

What you don't know is how many times they have done this successfully in the past.

Clearly the Brit is a plastic one and he is taking a rusky over the border for some home-work.

OleJanx Jun 26th 2013 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10774369)
What you don't know is how many times they have done this successfully in the past.

Clearly the Brit is a plastic one and he is taking a rusky over the border for some home-work.

That's the conclusion I came to.

Kix Jun 26th 2013 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10774369)

Face-palm to me....

martinbkk Jun 27th 2013 3:21 am

What means 'a plastic Brit'?

Ta.

Millhouse Jun 27th 2013 4:20 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 10775084)
What means 'a plastic Brit'?

Ta.

A brother from another mother who has managed to acquire a passport either though some loose family connection, working in a 7-11 for a few years or has married in. In the event of marriage, that marriage was most likely took place outside of the country...

The plastic ones are generally the ones that get involved in the more serious crimes (i.e. people trafficking, drugs, murder) here and are reported as British. When in fact, they are British passport holders. Of course, this is a massive generalization and there are many plastic brits that are very normal and good people.

martinbkk Jun 27th 2013 5:17 am

Oh, thanks, I did wonder if that was the meaning. I might qualify actually as I'm part French on my fathers side from an ancestor who came to England around 1576. :lol:

Millhouse Jun 27th 2013 6:38 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 10775134)
Oh, thanks, I did wonder if that was the meaning. I might qualify actually as I'm part French on my fathers side from an ancestor who came to England around 1576. :lol:

probably more like bakelite than proper plastic.