British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Biblical sayings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/biblical-sayings-777338/)

Theseus Nov 12th 2012 4:24 am

Biblical sayings

What sayings do you use which have their origins in biblical text or have a direct reference to a god.

i.e. i use the following all the time even though I am an atheist

"judge not, lest ye be judged"
"there but for the grace of god go I"
"do unto others..."
"OH MY GOD!!"

:lol:

mikewot Nov 12th 2012 5:13 am

Re: Biblical sayings

Leviticus 20:10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man’s wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Deuteronomy 22:20-1 But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father’s house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.

Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

Exodus 21:20-21 And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 12th 2012 5:38 am

1 Corinthians 11:13-15

Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered? Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him, but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

Theseus Nov 12th 2012 5:43 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10377704)
Leviticus 20:10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man’s wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Deuteronomy 22:20-1 But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father’s house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.

Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

Exodus 21:20-21 And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

That's dark dude! ;)

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 12th 2012 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10377719)
That's dark dude! ;)

For Christ's sake woman...

britexpat76 Nov 12th 2012 6:11 am

Good F@cking Lord
Holy F@ck
Jesus *****ing Christ

The Dean Nov 12th 2012 6:44 am

John 11:35

Meow Nov 12th 2012 6:47 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10377704)

You use these quotes in every day conversation???

Meow Nov 12th 2012 6:48 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10377768)

:rofl:

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 12th 2012 6:49 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10377768)

:thumbup:

Dumbo Nov 12th 2012 6:50 am

How about something batty?

12The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it. -Mark 11:12-14

Meow Nov 12th 2012 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Dumbo (Post 10377778)
How about something batty?

12The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it. -Mark 11:12-14

And you use that saying?

What an odd bunch BE posters are.

Dumbo Nov 12th 2012 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10377783)
And you use that saying?

What an odd bunch BE posters are.

Yes I often speak to fig trees and tell them not to bear fruit any longer.

Meow Nov 12th 2012 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Dumbo (Post 10377792)
Yes I often speak to fig trees and tell them not to bear fruit any longer.

For you, this is plausible. :)

Matthew 26:41 (King James Version):

Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed [I]is [/I]willing, but the flesh is weak.

Matthew 5:13 (King James Version):

....the salt of the earth......

Job 19:28 (King James Version):

But ye should say, Why persecute we him, seeing the Root of the matter is found in me?

Millhouse Nov 12th 2012 7:23 am

As sure as 'The Dog returns to his Vomit'