British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bevvie run (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bevvie-run-670248/)

the_red_sheep May 29th 2010 6:18 pm

Bevvie run

Okay, so I need to make my first booze run, probably next weekend, to get stocked up for the world cup (presuming Du pull the finger out and I can get it on the telly) and also to start getting the liver back to fighting condition prior to going to T in the Park.

The question's are which is better the Hole in the Wall or Barracuda's, and are they open on a Friday? I know where the HITW is (it was on the induction tour I was given by work!), but other than the directions from old posts I found not so sure about Barracuda's, other than spot the plane in the field and you're on the right tracks!!

Also, heard there is guy (or maybe more than one) who'll do the run for you, for a fee. Anyone have any experience of using him/them, do they have a minimum order value?

Ta :beer:

Roadking May 29th 2010 7:10 pm

Re: Bevvie run

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx (Post 8598312)
Okay, so I need to make my first booze run, probably next weekend, to get stocked up for the world cup (presuming Du pull the finger out and I can get it on the telly) and also to start getting the liver back to fighting condition prior to going to T in the Park.

The question's are which is better the Hole in the Wall or Barracuda's, and are they open on a Friday? I know where the HITW is (it was on the induction tour I was given by work!), but other than the directions from old posts I found not so sure about Barracuda's, other than spot the plane in the field and you're on the right tracks!!

Also, heard there is guy (or maybe more than one) who'll do the run for you, for a fee. Anyone have any experience of using him/them, do they have a minimum order value?

Ta :beer:

Never been to HITW. Done the 'cuda a HUUUUGE number of times. It's not me, it's the wife, honest. Anyway, 'cuda is easy, straight up the Emirates Rd until the sign for Dreamland, take that junctions and follow the signs. It's basicaly a left under the road along the desert then turn right until you see the plane. Then turn left into the place.

There is a "supplier" who delivers. They need a recommend and minimum 1'200 order value. Plus 100 for delivery. Website to view and order, but you do need a sponsor. PM if interested.

This poster has no affiliation, relations...aw fewk it

Brains1983 May 29th 2010 9:19 pm

Where is the best place in UAE to buy beer and wine? I'm using the one beside carrefour in abdab, how much would I need to spend to make it worthwhile going to somewhere else (I hear RAK is cheap). all things considered, 115 for 24 tiger isn't really that bad unless you really can save a fortune?

TGFKASE May 30th 2010 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8598367)
Never been to HITW. Done the 'cuda a HUUUUGE number of times. It's not me, it's the wife, honest. Anyway, 'cuda is easy, straight up the Emirates Rd until the sign for Dreamland, take that junctions and follow the signs. It's basicaly a left under the road along the desert then turn right until you see the plane. Then turn left into the place.

There is a "supplier" who delivers. They need a recommend and minimum 1'200 order value. Plus 100 for delivery. Website to view and order, but you do need a sponsor. PM if interested.

This poster has no affiliation, relations...aw fewk it

RK, the website based place I use has a minimum order of 1500dhs, not 1200... Can you pm me with the website?

Did a run to 'cuda on Friday morning.. Place mobbed.. And no 'cuda bandit in sight.. As RK says, straight up Emirates Rd, turn off at Exit 103 (Dreamland), head for the coast and turn right before driving into the Gulf.. Left turn just after the plane..

Autonomy May 30th 2010 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 8598467)
Where is the best place in UAE to buy beer and wine? I'm using the one beside carrefour in abdab, how much would I need to spend to make it worthwhile going to somewhere else (I hear RAK is cheap). all things considered, 115 for 24 tiger isn't really that bad unless you really can save a fortune?

Barracuda is tax free and cheap duty free prices. Biggest saving is on spirits, but if you're getting more than a few slabs of beer / a crate or more of wine - if you're spending about 1,000dhs then the savings are definitely worth the drive from Dubai...

From AD - not so sure as this will be a 4 hour round trip minimum...

Roadking May 30th 2010 7:34 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8598972)
RK, the website based place I use has a minimum order of 1500dhs, not 1200... Can you pm me with the website?

Did a run to 'cuda on Friday morning.. Place mobbed.. And no 'cuda bandit in sight.. As RK says, straight up Emirates Rd, turn off at Exit 103 (Dreamland), head for the coast and turn right before driving into the Gulf.. Left turn just after the plane..

You could be right, my orders are always over 2'000 AED...but, but I only order every once in a while....honest.

I think you gave me the site in the first place but I'll PM in case.

TGFKASE May 30th 2010 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8599023)
You could be right, my orders are always over 2'000 AED...but, but I only order every once in a while....honest.

I think you gave me the site in the first place but I'll PM in case.

Yep, thats the one,.

Minimum order is 1500dhs.. but have to say I enjoyed trawling round the 'cuda. Cheaper than the website and obviously ended up buying more than I had planned to.. Damn impulses..!!!

hnd May 30th 2010 10:16 am

Or there's an MMI about another 10mins or so up the road from Barracuda. Price examples: 24 x 500ml Grolsch/Kingfisher for 80dhs, 1ltr Grouse around 45dhs (cf 140dhs at a&e - in February), 1ltr Bombay Sapphire gin 50dhs, Wyndham Estates Shiraz 38dhs. Buy a case of anything and you get a bottle free.

Less busy at MMI than at Barracuda and no problems with the bandit. No licence required, either.

MMI is about 1k or so past the Spinneys at the Al Hamra Mall on the same side of the road as the mall. You have to drive past it and do a Uturn.

Bahtatboy Jun 3rd 2010 9:36 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 8599247)
Or there's an MMI about another 10mins or so up the road from Barracuda. Price examples: 24 x 500ml Grolsch/Kingfisher for 80dhs, 1ltr Grouse around 45dhs (cf 140dhs at a&e - in February), 1ltr Bombay Sapphire gin 50dhs, Wyndham Estates Shiraz 38dhs. Buy a case of anything and you get a bottle free.

Less busy at MMI than at Barracuda and no problems with the bandit. No licence required, either.

MMI is about 1k or so past the Spinneys at the Al Hamra Mall on the same side of the road as the mall. You have to drive past it and do a Uturn.

So far I've been buying at various places (including Spinneys) in AD, and since I don't buy so much the prices aren't so important. HOWEVER, with the World Cup coming up I'll probably stock up, and the MMI prices quoted above are damned cheap. Problem is, I always get lost as hell in Dubai--next time someone goes there would you check the coordinates on your satnav and post them here? Ta!

lionheart Jun 3rd 2010 10:08 am

Bought 24 bottles of wine at Bazzas on Tuesday, paid no more than Dhs20 for any of them. The manager says he is getting a new order of UK real ale this coming week. They already have Marstons Pedigree amongst others. Watch out for the camels strolling across the desert road from the Emirates Rd exit. Got held up by two herds and a troop of donkeys.

Eva Jun 3rd 2010 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8608429)
Bought 24 bottles of wine at Bazzas on Tuesday, paid no more than Dhs20 for any of them. The manager says he is getting a new order of UK real ale this coming week. They already have Marstons Pedigree amongst others. Watch out for the camels strolling across the desert road from the Emirates Rd exit. Got held up by two herds and a troop of donkeys.

Bastardos, did they get away with the full two dozen?

Roadking Jun 4th 2010 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8608363)
So far I've been buying at various places (including Spinneys) in AD, and since I don't buy so much the prices aren't so important. HOWEVER, with the World Cup coming up I'll probably stock up, and the MMI prices quoted above are damned cheap. Problem is, I always get lost as hell in Dubai--next time someone goes there would you check the coordinates on your satnav and post them here? Ta!

Well, if you come to Dubai to find the 'Cuda, it's no wonder you get lost...it's t'other side of Sharjah!

Really is easy to find though. I won't be going until August but if you google Dreamland Aqua Park, that might give you the coordinates and it's in the same place...nearly (next door).

Bahtatboy Jun 5th 2010 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8610737)
Well, if you come to Dubai to find the 'Cuda, it's no wonder you get lost...it's t'other side of Sharjah!

Really is easy to find though. I won't be going until August but if you google Dreamland Aqua Park, that might give you the coordinates and it's in the same place...nearly (next door).

Thanks RK. I'll call you when I get to Al Ain...

Norm_uk Jun 6th 2010 7:37 am

You know if you drive to AD and go to the place behind Carrefour on Airport Road you're not likely to be asked for a license and don't have to worry about driving through Sharjah....

Birdeez Jun 6th 2010 1:58 pm

There's a new Spinney's one opened in Mussaffah as well which is pretty good and they don't ask for a license. It's near ICAD.