British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Best & Worst Places for Expats 2017 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/best-worst-places-expats-2017-a-903073/)

hnd Sep 8th 2017 7:49 am

Best & Worst Places for Expats 2017

https://www.internations.org/expat-i...r-expats-39182

First spot goes to Bahrain :huh:

TheShed Sep 8th 2017 4:00 pm

Re: Best & Worst Places for Expats 2017

I can believe that. Everyone I know who lived in Bah missed the place

Bahtatboy Sep 8th 2017 4:14 pm

I'm nobody, nowhere :(

mrken30 Sep 8th 2017 4:33 pm

Surprised Ireland is just one above Uganda

IKnowNothing Sep 8th 2017 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12334226)

Am surprised it's not one below Nigeria...

weasel decentral Sep 9th 2017 2:41 am

India at 57 is pretty accurate; though the pay and benefits are high it's a bloody difficult place to work and live.

Bahtatboy Sep 9th 2017 7:13 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12334528)
India at 57 is pretty accurate; though the pay and benefits are high it's a bloody difficult place to work and live.

A Dutch colleague here (actually works for our client) lived for a couple of years in India (can't recall where) and would happily go back. Similar difficulties here in respect of getting anything done, but he thoroughly enjoyed it (despite being Dutch, he's quite normal). My experience of Navi Mumbai (twice) and the mind-shattering day I spent on the phone to Debenham's car insurance call centre last week were enough to put me off for life. It's difficult not to assume stereotypes when nearly every interaction you have affirm them.

weasel decentral Sep 9th 2017 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12334584)
A Dutch colleague here (actually works for our client) lived for a couple of years in India (can't recall where) and would happily go back. Similar difficulties here in respect of getting anything done, but he thoroughly enjoyed it (despite being Dutch, he's quite normal). My experience of Navi Mumbai (twice) and the mind-shattering day I spent on the phone to Debenham's car insurance call centre last week were enough to put me off for life. It's difficult not to assume stereotypes when nearly every interaction you have affirm them.

Sounds about right, plus Indian work culture is horrendous especially dealing with anyone who feels they have some kind of authority.
I'm crossing the point here now of actually getting my stamp on the project and getting things done but it's been a struggle.

BTW I loved my time in Morocco, (Casablanca), I'd happily return there.

IKnowNothing Sep 9th 2017 10:05 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12334609)
BTW I loved my time in Morocco, (Casablanca), I'd happily return there.

In all the bars in all the world.....

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 10th 2017 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12334584)
Debenham's car insurance

Is this a joke or a real thing?

Miss Ann Thrope Sep 10th 2017 6:38 am

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12334226)

Uganda's a great place to be as an expat. Kampala is a really cool laid back city, interesting international flavour from all the UN people there for South Sudan and DRC, mostly lovely locals, great nightlife and the best named street snack ever (Rolex = "roll-eggs: omelette with choice of filling rolled up inside a chapati), perfect after a night out when you're making your way home on the back of a boda-boda (motorbike taxi, so called because they were originally used to get people across the border between checkpoints). No idea how it could be below Ireland though....

Bahtatboy Sep 10th 2017 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12335137)
Is this a joke or a real thing?

Nope. Obviously just a front for a real insurer (GoSkippy, would you believe, but maybe they're just a front, too), but the only company I could find which would insure me as a named driver as an expat. And I did spend nearly a day on the phone to their Indian call centre, and boy it was painful.

Dubaiexile Sep 10th 2017 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12335219)
Nope. Obviously just a front for a real insurer (GoSkippy, would you believe, but maybe they're just a front, too), but the only company I could find which would insure me as a named driver as an expat. And I did spend nearly a day on the phone to their Indian call centre, and boy it was painful.

What is your good name.....as if you have a bad one aaarrrggghhhhhh!!!

Dubaiexile Sep 10th 2017 10:13 am

Or did they answer "Tell me, tell me" !!

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 10th 2017 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12335219)

Mental isn't it. The services 'provided' by big firms just gets weirder and weirder.