British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Best Way of Keeping In Touch? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/best-way-keeping-touch-504532/)

nottmbantam Jan 8th 2008 10:25 am

Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 
Ok, so you regulars will know that I'm working my way out to Riyadh in a few months. Got to thinking....

Whats the best and cheapest way to keep in touch with the folks back home?

Skype
Landline Phone
Mobile Phone - KSA sim card / pay as you go?
Email?

Never used Skype, no idea if its any good. Would like to talk to people ( wife n kids ) rather than just using email.

What do you guys use and what would you recommend?

TIA.

shakh your bootie Jan 8th 2008 10:31 am

Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 5757282)
Ok, so you regulars will know that I'm working my way out to Riyadh in a few months. Got to thinking....

Whats the best and cheapest way to keep in touch with the folks back home?

Skype
Landline Phone
Mobile Phone - KSA sim card / pay as you go?
Email?

Never used Skype, no idea if its any good. Would like to talk to people ( wife n kids ) rather than just using email.

What do you guys use and what would you recommend?

TIA.

This has been done before - search the threads...

e.g.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=skype

Consensus seems to be that VPN is the best way to go.

Inselaffen Jan 8th 2008 10:32 am

Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 5757282)
Ok, so you regulars will know that I'm working my way out to Riyadh in a few months. Got to thinking....

Whats the best and cheapest way to keep in touch with the folks back home?

Skype
Landline Phone
Mobile Phone - KSA sim card / pay as you go?
Email?

Never used Skype, no idea if its any good. Would like to talk to people ( wife n kids ) rather than just using email.

What do you guys use and what would you recommend?

TIA.

I have used Skype for years. First from Europe and now Dubai.
If your folks back home have a PC then it will be free

nottmbantam Jan 8th 2008 10:49 am

Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5757309)
This has been done before - search the threads...

e.g.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=skype

Consensus seems to be that VPN is the best way to go.

Whoops, sorry, didn't think to search! :o

Just need to understand what a VPN is now...

Thanks.

shakh your bootie Jan 8th 2008 10:54 am

Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 5757401)
Whoops, sorry, didn't think to search! :o

Just need to understand what a VPN is now...

Thanks.

Stands for virtual private network.... It's basically a way to tunnel under the etisalat site blocker thingy wall.

Inselaffen Jan 8th 2008 10:57 am

Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5757424)
Stands for virtual private network.... It's basically a way to tunnel under the etisalat site blocker thingy wall.

read his post and you'll see he won't be in the UAE so nowt to do with Etisalad!

shakh your bootie Jan 8th 2008 11:00 am

Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5757437)
read his post and you'll see he won't be in the UAE so nowt to do with Etisalad!

Sorry. For Etisalat read "or any other oppressively censorious provider of innernet services that you may subscribe to".....

Not too doe-eyed to be anally pedantic, eh Monsieur MonkeyBoy?

Inselaffen Jan 8th 2008 11:02 am

Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5757452)
Sorry. For Etisalat read "or any other oppressively censorious provider of innernet services that you may subscribe to".....

Not too doe-eyed to be anally pedantic, eh Monsieur MonkeyBoy?

never too doe-eyed for that mr SHakh'n'vac!

nottmbantam Jan 8th 2008 11:04 am

Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5757452)
Sorry. For Etisalat read "or any other oppressively censorious provider of innernet services that you may subscribe to".....

Not too doe-eyed to be anally pedantic, eh Monsieur MonkeyBoy?

Now now chaps, don't be falling out on my behalf....:)

Besides, only one thing worse than being pedantic - Not being being pedantic enough.

axlenoyl Jan 8th 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5757313)
I have used Skype for years. First from Europe and now Dubai.
If your folks back home have a PC then it will be free

iS skype totally free from both directions, if I read correctly on the skype website it is 17p per min

nottmbantam Jan 8th 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 
My understanding is that calling from one Skype user to antoher Skype user is totally free.

Calling Skype to landline or Skype to Mobile will incur charges, but both tend to be far lower than usual (UK ) telephone providers.

Old Lob Jan 8th 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 
Don't talk to them in the UK - keep them guessing.

Be mysterious.

If you have a private switch at your office then go to the phone of your enemy - and you will have many - divert the number to your UK friend / mental hospital / whorehouse or whoever you want to talk to and then, from home call your enemies number and get diverted.

Your enemy then gets his collar felt and executed.

The Dean Jan 8th 2008 3:11 pm

Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 5758408)
My understanding is that calling from one Skype user to antoher Skype user is totally free.

Calling Skype to landline or Skype to Mobile will incur charges, but both tend to be far lower than usual (UK ) telephone providers.

Sorry to disappoint but Skype is (or was, last time I checked) totally banned in the Magic Kingdom.

Actually I thought it was banned in Dubai too?

nottmbantam Jan 8th 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5758490)
Sorry to disappoint but Skype is (or was, last time I checked) totally banned in the Magic Kingdom.

Actually I thought it was banned in Dubai too?


Yup that is a major disappointment. Will have to look at at these things called VPN's people have mentioned.

Until then, I guess that best bet is to either invest in a telephone line or even a KSA pay as you go sim card for my mobile?

Madam Medusa Jan 8th 2008 3:36 pm

Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?
 

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5758490)
Sorry to disappoint but Skype is (or was, last time I checked) totally banned in the Magic Kingdom.

Actually I thought it was banned in Dubai too?

it's not banned at the moment...

MM, xx


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:54 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.