Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Best Way of Keeping In Touch?

Best Way of Keeping In Touch?

Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Way of Keeping In Touch?

The Skype website is blocked so you cant download/update or buy credit.

so if u have a laptop make sure you have it before u get to KSA.

otherwise use of a VPN will get round any blocks whether in KSA or Emirates.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:34 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Ok, so you regulars will know that I'm working my way out to Riyadh in a few months. Got to thinking....

Whats the best and cheapest way to keep in touch with the folks back home?

Mobile Phone - KSA sim card / pay as you go?
Email?

Never used Skype, no idea if its any good. Would like to talk to people ( wife n kids ) rather than just using email.

What do you guys use and what would you recommend?

TIA.
Make sure you get plenty of sleep before you get out to KSA, because if your kids are anything like mine back home, they will want to webcam you ONLY when they have finished watching EastEnders & Coronation Street, or got home from their friends about 10pm, .......conveniently forgetting / ignoring the 3-4 hours time difference........its suprising how little sleep you can survive on !!!!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:39 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BangleMan
Make sure you get plenty of sleep before you get out to KSA, because if your kids are anything like mine back home, they will want to webcam you ONLY when they have finished watching EastEnders & Coronation Street, or got home from their friends about 10pm, .......conveniently forgetting / ignoring the 3-4 hours time difference........its suprising how little sleep you can survive on !!!!
Meant to add, if you havent already got them, get yourself a webcam for your home and laptop and an MSN Messenger, its free, you do voice recordings back and forth (like an old CB radio) and you can also see them. I found it was much better & much more personal than using phone / texts.....not so easy to press the "close camera" button mind you, hence the late nights / early mornings
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Yah, I've got a laptop here which I was gonna take with me, a Mac Powerbook, and that already has MSN. Have ordered a webcam, waiting for that to arrive and will spend some time 'playing ' with that and getting the set up right.

So, if I bring a laptop with me, it should be ok? Just need to sort out the electricity supply for re-charging the battery
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Yah, I've got a laptop here which I was gonna take with me, a Mac Powerbook, and that already has MSN. Have ordered a webcam, waiting for that to arrive and will spend some time 'playing ' with that and getting the set up right.

So, if I bring a laptop with me, it should be ok? Just need to sort out the electricity supply for re-charging the battery
make sure u download Skype onto it!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

axlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant future

Your battery should recharge no problem
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by axlenoyl
Your battery should recharge no problem
Yes, I was trying to say that I will need some sort of adaptor for the electricity supply, cos my battery charge is obviously the UK 3 pin plug!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I was trying to say that I will need some sort of adaptor for the electricity supply, cos my battery charge is obviously the UK 3 pin plug!

Not sure what it's like where you are going but in Dubai plugs are same as home.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
Not sure what it's like where you are going but in Dubai plugs are same as home.
yeah....which is great until you buy any electrical products here and they are all 2-pin, lol...

MM, xx
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
yeah....which is great until you buy any electrical products here and they are all 2-pin, lol...

MM, xx

Keeps the adaptor ecomomy going !!!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

well that and the fact that they mysteriously seem to disappear...i buy hundreds of them but can never find a spare one when i need it!!!

MM, xx
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

The Indian-style adaptor is the cheapest option. Strip wires bare and insert into socket....
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:01 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

well that and the fact that they mysteriously seem to disappear...i buy hundreds of them but can never find a spare one when i need it!!!

MM, xx
have a look where the odd socks are....
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MataHari
have a look where the odd socks are....
lol...with the pens then i guess...

MM, xx
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

MM, xx
Yea that is a mystery, I think I have an adaptor stealing goblin, pesky goblins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.