British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Best steak restaurant for birthday meal? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/best-steak-restaurant-birthday-meal-733121/)

Mudga Sep 21st 2011 9:27 am

Best steak restaurant for birthday meal?

Hi All,

I am just after some recommendations for where to get a good steak in a nice restaurant with good atmosphere in Dubai. Currently looking at:

Seafire @ Atlantis: read a terrible review on Timeout - does anyone have any other experiences?

Rivington Grill: mainly for the view, hows the food?

MJ's in the Madinat

The Meat Co in the Madinat

I'd like to be able to sit outside on a nice terrace if possible, does anyone have any opinions on the above, or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 21st 2011 9:32 am

Re: Best steak restaurant for birthday meal?

Originally Posted by Mudga (Post 9633748)
Hi All,

I am just after some recommendations for where to get a good steak in a nice restaurant with good atmosphere in Dubai. Currently looking at:

Seafire @ Atlantis: read a terrible review on Timeout - does anyone have any other experiences?

Rivington Grill: mainly for the view, hows the food?

MJ's in the Madinat

The Meat Co in the Madinat

I'd like to be able to sit outside on a nice terrace if possible, does anyone have any opinions on the above, or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

You can eat outside at the Meat Co. at Souk Al Bahar by the Burj Khalifa.

Otherwise give it a few minutes and people will come back with a meaty list of other places for you to tuck into.

Meow Sep 21st 2011 9:40 am

If it's for a special occasion and you want to sit on a terrace, then go for MJ's at The Madinat. Rivington Grill is good but has limited steak choices.

Mudga Sep 21st 2011 9:44 am

Thanks both :)

Scamp - the Meat Co menu looks nice - do you get a good view of the fountains at the one in Souk Al Bahar?

Meow - I can't find a menu for MJ's online, is it fairly pricey? Is there a nice view from the terrace?

Good quality food which isn't massively over priced and a nice view are my main criteria.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 21st 2011 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Mudga (Post 9633786)

Scamp - the Meat Co menu looks nice - do you get a good view of the fountains at the one in Souk Al Bahar?

Meow - I can't find a menu for MJ's online, is it fairly pricey? Is there a nice view from the terrace?

Good quality food which isn't massively over priced and a nice view are my main criteria.

I think so but would double check. The terrace is round the side but may extend to front by the fountains (when i say round the side, you can still see all the nice stuff anyway).

Meat Co is quite expensive but if it's a birthday they go mental for it and get the drums and singing out - quite cool / tacky depending on your point of view.

Benefit of Madinat and SAB is both have a left bank which is great for cocktails, madinat has all the crappy shops to walk around and a few more bars; Bar Zar outside downstairs is quite nice and good for shisha, but the madinat screams of fake / falseness - I'm aware that's normal for most places like it in Dubai but the Madinat takes the biscuit for me. Still a nice place though.

NorthernLad Sep 21st 2011 11:08 am

There is no terrace, but The Rib Room in Emirates Towers is fantastic. Ate their last weekend and was one of best meals we've had here.

Roadking Sep 21st 2011 12:14 pm

Went to The Rivington last week for the first time and very disappointed. Food was average at best and very pricey for what it was.

Like the Meat Company, haven't had a bad experience there. MJ's is best for my vote.

Only comment is; is it not still a bit hot too be outside for a relaxed evening?

Patsy Stoned Sep 21st 2011 12:16 pm

For me Mj's is definately the best steak restaurant in Dubai. If you tell them it is a birthday they will make a fuss of you and a comp cake too.
The Rivington is lovely if you are outside on the terrace.
The ribroom is also good but no terrace or views.

ctfc Sep 21st 2011 5:56 pm

Also West14th on the Palm - had an excellent steak there recently, and the Argentinian restaurant - Asado - at the Palace Hotel next to Dubai mall is superb.

Time Out's awards: http://www.timeoutdubai.com/restaura...1/awards/21451

For a birthday Rare at the Desert Palm Polo Club is a very pleasant setting and excellent food. http://www.timeoutdubai.com/restaurants/reviews/14768

Madam Medusa Sep 22nd 2011 4:00 am

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 9634714)
Also West14th on the Palm - had an excellent steak there recently, and the Argentinian restaurant - Asado - at the Palace Hotel next to Dubai mall is superb.

Time Out's awards: http://www.timeoutdubai.com/restaura...1/awards/21451

For a birthday Rare at the Desert Palm Polo Club is a very pleasant setting and excellent food. http://www.timeoutdubai.com/restaurants/reviews/14768

the service at west 14 can be atrocious though...and when they run out of standard vegies (err, really, you can't get mushrooms?) then it's a bit crap...

mjs gets my vote for THE best steak...it's the only place that not only has excellent quality, but knows how to cook it too (or not cook it in my case!)...

MM, xx

shiva Sep 22nd 2011 4:39 am

Place is the westin used to have a really good selection of meat, not the most inspiring place but the meat was brilliant

Spugsy Sep 22nd 2011 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Mudga (Post 9633786)

At the Habtoor Grand is the Grand Grill, dead nice atmosphere and staff, good food and you can go on the terrace for food or drinks afterwards - I love it there, been there for my last two birthdays.

Spugsy Sep 22nd 2011 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9635547)
the service at west 14 can be atrocious though...and when they run out of standard vegies (err, really, you can't get mushrooms?) then it's a bit crap...

mjs gets my vote for THE best steak...it's the only place that not only has excellent quality, but knows how to cook it too (or not cook it in my case!)...

MM, xx

Oh and when you pick your steak knives, I LOVED that, so many to choose from.

Max the Dog Sep 22nd 2011 5:37 am

Wrong side of the pond, but JW's at the Marriott Deira is fantastic!
:thumbup:

Patsy Stoned Sep 22nd 2011 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9635617)
Oh and when you pick your steak knives, I LOVED that, so many to choose from.

MM and I have our own engraved knives there :rofl::rofl: