8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Best Sporting Event in UAE

Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:49 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Best Sporting Event in UAE

With the 7s just around the corner, what do you think is the best sporting event?

Edited to add, I'm trying to put a poll (not a pole) up, my choices were going to be:-

Rugby Sevens
F1
Tennis
Golf
Dubai World Cup (full of old nags)
Cricket

Re-edited to add - I did it!

Last edited by Kix; Nov 18th 2013 at 5:53 am.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:59 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Sporting Event in UAE

best from which point of view? As a spectator?

if as a spectator then it has to be the 7's

the abu dhabi desert challenge (Motorsports) is pretty damn good but not spectator friendly as is the endurance cup (horse riding) and the dubai 24 hrs is pretty well regarded internationally as well (Motorsports). Unfortunately nobody goes to see any of those but competitors rate them pretty highly globally.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:00 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
With the 7s just around the corner, what do you think is the best sporting event?

Edited to add, I'm trying to put a poll (not a pole) up, my choices were going to be:-

Rugby Sevens
F1
Tennis
Golf
Dubai World Cup (full of old nags)
Cricket

Re-edited to add - I did it!
the only one I have been to is the golf
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

Lets be honest, none of the ones listed are so much sporting events as social events.

Agree about the Dubai 24hrs, best time to go is just before sunrise. You can have the whole grandstand to yourself and wander round the pits looking at the carnage from the nights racing. Got some great pics of the cars racing into the dawn.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Definitely the golf, apart from Left Bank on the 17th you can't go there and get wankered and act like a helmet, you have to be quiet and willing to walk around.

If you end up near the 15th or 6th or something, it's always less busy, you're surrounded by people who are interested and bothered enough to walk the distance and you can get within a foot of some of the best players in the world.

F1 is cool, but you're very far removed.
Sevens is cool, but it's just a piss up (amongst my friends as well, I'm the only one actually interested in Rugby at all).
Tennis? Nah, not my cup of tea.
Racing World Cup - Not been yet, despite the fact I love days at the races, convinced it's just the Sevens repeated, in dresses and suits.
Cricket - Not been. Would like to.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:52 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Racing World Cup - Not been yet, despite the fact I love days at the races, convinced it's just the Sevens repeated, in dresses and suits.
oh its a special event, makes the sevens look positively classy.
worth going once just to see how shocking it really is.

Caveat is there are areas where people do watch the racing and behave but they are far removed from the public mosh pit of chav hell
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:55 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shiva

Caveat is there are areas where people do watch the racing and behave but they are far removed from the public mosh pit of chav hell aka "The Bubble Lounge"
Added to that for you - I'm sure there is at least one poster on here who goes there.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

Has anyone (apart from me) been to race meet at Meydan other than the World Cup?
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:18 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Robajob
Has anyone (apart from me) been to race meet at Meydan other than the World Cup?
yes
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by shiva

Caveat is there are areas where people do watch the racing and behave but they are far removed from the public mosh pit of chav hell
Assumed as much.

I've been to race meets, just not the WC.

I'm going on Thursday night I think.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

went to one at Nad Al Sheba also went to one at Janradiah which was interesting
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:02 am
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of

I can't believe that this event did not make the list....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html#comments

Surely one for next year...
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and previously at Nad al Sheba, many, many times. Also Jebel Ali racecourse. Used to go regularly and at one point had shares in a racehorse.

I won't go the the World Cup as it is full of people there to be seen not because they have any interest in the racing. Ditto the Sevens and numerous other events.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I only went to the WC once after it became Meydan. It is too big and too impersonal....although it was a very lovely day, because I was a guest of the Meydan Hotel, so I spent the day at a table on the terrace and actually managed to see the races :-D
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Yes and previously at Nad al Sheba, many, many times. Also Jebel Ali racecourse. Used to go regularly and at one point had shares in a racehorse.

I won't go the the World Cup as it is full of people there to be seen not because they have any interest in the racing. Ditto the Sevens and numerous other events.
I went to NAS every Thursday through the season for about 8 years, it was very sad when it closed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.