Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Best Places to Buy a Used Car - Dubai

Best Places to Buy a Used Car - Dubai

Old Mar 16th 2014, 2:52 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Places to Buy a Used Car - Dubai

You can rely on the dealership service departments here to bring every tiny little thing to your attention if they think you'll bite for parts and labour, so if they haven't found anything, it's almost certainly fine

So it was definitely bought in the States and then privately shipped over here? If it was me I'd pay to run the VIN through a site like Carfax for sure, if only to know its true original history. And if it *was* involved in any accidents before it came here, I'd rather know than not, even if it's been properly repaired.

Last edited by Eeyore; Mar 16th 2014 at 2:55 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Eeyore
You can rely on the dealership service departments here to bring every tiny little thing to your attention if they think you'll bite for parts and labour, so if they haven't found anything, it's almost certainly fine

So it was definitely bought in the States and then privately shipped over here? If it was me I'd pay to run the VIN through a site like Carfax for sure, if only to know its true original history. And if it *was* involved in any accidents before it came here, I'd rather know than not, even if it's been properly repaired.
No idea, just says US as origin on reg card. Never considered it, just assumed that was where it was made. Thanks for link.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:43 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that Ras Al Khor has plenty of nice-looking cars that were actually written off in other countries, then shipped here and rebuilt (most often in Sharjah) - America is a big source of these.

At the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, always make a note of the VIN of any car you're seriously interested in, and get the relevant dealership here to look it up on their system. If they can't find it, clearly that should ring alarm bells. If you determine that it's an import rather than something originally bought from a UAE dealership, pay to use one of the online services that look up the VIN in the country of origin so you can find out what its real accident history is.
Great post. I remember an influx of hummers that survived hurricane Katrina so they say
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:02 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
No idea, just says US as origin on reg card.
It says that even if it was originally sold through the dealer here. Check with the Ford dealership first, find out what they say about its history. It could easily be a genuine UAE-market car; if it is, Carfax won't have anything to say about it.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:09 pm
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by commander
I remember an influx of hummers that survived hurricane Katrina so they say
Lots of Wranglers wrecked in the States end up in Ras Al Khor via Sharjah, too. Bangladeshi Specials...
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It says that even if it was originally sold through the dealer here. Check with the Ford dealership first, find out what they say about its history. It could easily be a genuine UAE-market car; if it is, Carfax won't have anything to say about it.
Interesting, assume I just ring ford and ask them to check? Thanks pal.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

One of the technicians that work for me bought a Honda in Doha through private sale as US import....

Found out a few weeks later that the car had bee damaged during a big flood in the US (New York I believe ) and had been effectively written off in the US, and shipped to Doha as a good import. Big problems with wiring etc. It was bought from a local, so had no comeback.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 5:35 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
All very useful though, cheers pal. Will give AutoMarket a go and see what happens...
Dude - let me know when you want to go and I'll come with you
Old Mar 17th 2014, 4:23 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

As said a ton of cars here are US write offs.

Not always bad news but definately can be.

Insurance companies will usually write off anything beyond economical repair regardless of the problem, flood damage is the most common here as that's a whole load of labour to put right as are hail damaged cars from the tornado states, here though labour is close to zero cost so makes for economical repair, add in the fact that Sharjah collects broken car parts from here and around the globe and it's pretty easy to buy a damaged car for outside the UAE and have it fixed for cheap then resold at a profit that wouldn't be possible anywhere else.

There is a huge trade in selling these to Africa etc out of Sharjah.

The real issue is writes off due to structural deformation, there are no shortage of people here happy to straighten out crumple zones and resell a car. These are death traps to be avoided at all costs. Spotting them however is not always easy so check the vin etc
Old Mar 17th 2014, 7:38 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I spent a day in Al Aweer last week buying for here in Doha and was amazed at the size and variety. Scamp found the right guy willing to help - As I did, again I have his mobile and he can help out especially when dealing with the Arabic speakers. I pretty much know what most things should sell for so if you want a heads up message me.