British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Best place to buy new tyres in AD (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/best-place-buy-new-tyres-ad-651476/)

Mischief Queen Jan 27th 2010 5:47 am

Best place to buy new tyres in AD

What's the best place to get a new tyre in Abu Dhabi? I'm guessing that the dealership is the worst place to start in terms getting ripped off! (plus they'll no doubt make me drive to Mussafah for the privelige of paying their extortionate prices...) Don't ask me what sort of tyres... I have a Honda CRV... I think they're Bridgestone...

Roadking Jan 27th 2010 5:54 am

Re: Best place to buy new tyres in AD

Originally Posted by Mischief Queen (Post 8285826)
What's the best place to get a new tyre in Abu Dhabi? I'm guessing that the dealership is the worst place to start in terms getting ripped off! (plus they'll no doubt make me drive to Mussafah for the privelige of paying their extortionate prices...) Don't ask me what sort of tyres... I have a Honda CRV... I think they're Bridgestone...

I'd call Al Futtaim first anyway just so you know what to set the benchmark at. Where ever you buy from, go for a "real" brand, no knock of crap. You have 4 contact points and they are about the size of a fag packet, Don't compromise on quality for the sake of a few bucks.

soukie Jan 27th 2010 6:28 am

Loads of decent tyre places off Defence Road (11th Street) behind the mobile phone shops.

flares Jan 27th 2010 7:52 am

Adnoc petrol stations have some tyre shops in their forecourts. There's one (Al Futtaim) on Muroor Rd heading into Abu Dhabi by 25th St. that I've used before.

Probably paying a little extra than the back street jobbies but not much. Avoid main dealers - they're not usually that interested in tyres anyway

Millhouse Jan 27th 2010 5:10 pm

I was planning on using ADNOC as I didn't trust the guys on salam street to sell me originals!

I'm told (by the dealer) that my breaks need replacing and the disks skimming (they look fine to me). Is there anywhere that will take a look at them for me and give a non vested interest answer?

Also, where is a good place to get them done (I hate using Toyota if I can) I have had a good experience with the Bosch centre but do not know if they do skimming.

Jeeper Jan 28th 2010 2:50 am

I have never heard of brakes needing replacement as often as they do in this place.
I guess there is more sand in the air that gets ground against the disks but our car goes in every 5,000 or whatever and it seems every time the brakes need doing.

6 months ago they said the battery needed replacing....600dhs thanks. I said no...i'll buy a batt myself and replace it myself.

Haven't got around to it yet but the car still starts first time every time.

I guess most people don't even question them and fork out the cash.

flares Jan 28th 2010 3:08 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8287594)
Is there anywhere that will take a look at them for me and give a non vested interest answer?

Missak Motors - between Salam and Abu Dhabi Mall somewhere. Run by a reliable Armenian/Leb guy.

Millhouse Jan 29th 2010 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8289211)
I have never heard of brakes needing replacement as often as they do in this place.
I guess there is more sand in the air that gets ground against the disks but our car goes in every 5,000 or whatever and it seems every time the brakes need doing.

6 months ago they said the battery needed replacing....600dhs thanks. I said no...i'll buy a batt myself and replace it myself.

Haven't got around to it yet but the car still starts first time every time.

I guess most people don't even question them and fork out the cash.

This is my point. I was also told the tyres needed replacing. They looked fine to me so I ignored them. It went in for a service 5k later and I asked about the tyres... they are fine Sir, maybe in 10-15k time.

Now it's the brakes and disks. The disks look great, not a groove in them - but its hard to see the pads so I'm not sure.

Millhouse Jan 29th 2010 9:24 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 8289233)
Missak Motors - between Salam and Abu Dhabi Mall somewhere. Run by a reliable Armenian/Leb guy.

Great. Thanks, i will give them a shot.