Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Best fiction book series...

Best fiction book series...

Old Oct 20th 2009, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best fiction book series...

Originally Posted by aberdeensiregirl
I must admit I like those as well! And I like Roald Dahl but thats just because I read them to my class.
I must admit to reading my kids Roald Dahl books occasionally. My husband's just finished reading them "The Witches" and he was actually quite keen to go up for story time every night.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:38 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm

Early - mid teens, the Hardy Boy series...

Twenties, Clavells Shogun/Taipan/ etc series(already mentioned)

Thirties, Clancy's Jack Ryan / Wilbur Smith's NUMA series..
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

Crime/Mystery fiction - Harlan Coben (but not the Myron Bolitar series)
Modern American (sorry BC) - Don Winslow
Crime/Modern fiction - Dennis Lehane
Airport thriller stuff - Lee Child
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

aberdeensiregirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kim67
I must admit to reading my kids Roald Dahl books occasionally. My husband's just finished reading them "The Witches" and he was actually quite keen to go up for story time every night.
Only one I did not like was the witches!!! And hated the film. But love the Twits!!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

highlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to all

the best original series I have read in the crime/ thriller genre recently is the millennium trilogy by Steig Larsson

the first in the series- the girl with the dragon tattoo has been made into a film in his native sweden and has had excellent reviews.It just been bought by a UK distributor so am looking forward to its international release

of course historically in the crime genre it is pretty hard to beat the master himself Conan Doyle.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

LankyLady is an unknown quantity at this point

Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, hands down, over anything in any genre that I've read. The scope of the series is astonishing, the plotting, characterization, and sheer detail is breathtaking (fantasy).

For crime, Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus books.

For "brain candy", Jilly Cooper's works.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:20 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LankyLady
Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, hands down, over anything in any genre that I've read. The scope of the series is astonishing, the plotting, characterization, and sheer detail is breathtaking (fantasy).

For crime, Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus books.

For "brain candy", Jilly Cooper's works.
aaah yes, forgot about that. Stunning piece of fantasy. Love it!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:18 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I loved the 'Inspector Rebus' series by Ian Rankin.

When I was at sea, we had every one and I read the whole series consecutively over a period of 2months.

I think it was a mix of the 'scottish Location' that I could relate too and miss because we were out in this region for 9 months.

I also loved 'filth' by Irvine Welsh....funny as ****.

Nowadays I pretty much read Mr Men books and suchlike to the bairn. (Which is my level)