British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Best Brunch (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/best-brunch-594703/)

Bison Mar 1st 2009 5:42 am

Best Brunch

So my aunt is coming over soon, she likes good food, but also a drink and a laugh to (she run's a lively pub).

So which Brunch?

Obviously not Waxy's or something similar cos the food is shite, want something where the food is lush and there's a good atmosphere.

What's Yalumba like and where is it, heard lots.

Bison

MAV_DXB Mar 1st 2009 6:05 am

Re: Best Brunch

I've been to Yalumba quite a few times... always good fun.

It's at the Le Merdien airport hotel, around the back in the Merdien Village.

It's a Champange brunch. Not much use for me as I don't drink the stuff - they very kindly get me jugs of Guinness instead :rofl:

Food is ok, you can choose buffet and/or from a menu.

Once finished there, then off to Waxys, buy your drinks tokens downstairs and then upstairs for a fry up.

commander Mar 1st 2009 1:37 pm

I still like the Fairmont..

Shadya Mar 1st 2009 3:00 pm

Hubby's English boss went to Yalumba last night and got very sick. He said to avoid anything resembling sushi at their evening buffet as it had evidently been left out much too long.

AnotherWorld Mar 1st 2009 3:20 pm

Can someone explain to me why brits love saying, performing, participating in and promoting "brunch"?

admon Mar 1st 2009 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7334815)
Can someone explain to me why brits love saying, performing, participating in and promoting "brunch"?

british working class mentality of getting as much food and drink down your neck as possible, in order to get the best 'value for money'..

AnotherWorld Mar 1st 2009 3:25 pm

Is brunch usually a buffet?

admon Mar 1st 2009 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7334826)

most are, yes

bimcnorth Mar 1st 2009 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7334826)

Leftovers...

Madam Medusa Mar 1st 2009 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7334582)
I still like the Fairmont..

it's apparently 550 dhs now though...!!

mina al salaam was my fave, but went a couple of weeks ago and they've seriously cut back, same for al qasr...the one at four seasons golf club is really, really good, amazing setting and fabulous food...

MM, xx

AnotherWorld Mar 1st 2009 4:38 pm

How much exactly do you guys pay for these brunches?

Squirty Cream Mar 1st 2009 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 7334769)
Hubby's English boss went to Yalumba last night and got very sick. He said to avoid anything resembling sushi at their evening buffet as it had evidently been left out much too long.

Oh no, dodgy Sushi is awful.

By the way, has anyone tried out Mun Chi's Thai restaurant and Sushi bar and if so what's it like and is it expensive? Not for brunch by the way!

admon Mar 1st 2009 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Squirty Cream (Post 7335074)
Oh no, dodgy Sushi is awful.

By the way, has anyone tried out Mun Chi's Thai restaurant and Sushi bar and if so what's it like and is it expensive? Not for brunch by the way!

Is that the Kar pet Mun Chi?

jrudofsky Mar 2nd 2009 3:36 am

The Dubai Marina Yacht Club does a very good, non-bubbly brunch for I think Dhs250. Also their happy hour (2 for 1) 5.30 - 7.30 is incredibly popular with them turning people away.

Blue Cat Mar 2nd 2009 5:56 am

Latitudes at Jumeirah Beach Hotel - great setting as you can get a table outside at this time of the year. Food is excellent, not sure of price though.