British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Behind the scenes in the UAE. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/behind-scenes-uae-861713/)

fezzer Jul 13th 2015 9:07 am

Behind the scenes in the UAE.

In the United Arab Emirates, a palace coup foiled | Middle East Eye

Another interesting post from the Middle East Eye.

Meow Jul 13th 2015 10:13 am

Re: Behind the scenes in the UAE.

Hmmmm

"The source said they wanted to reveal the plot because they had become disillusioned with the UAE, principally due to a business dispute that forced them to leave the country at the end of the summer in 2012. "

"the widely held impression that the tiny oil-rich country is a sea of tranquility in a region of turmoil" Only if you have paid no attention and believe the hype.

"emirate of Al Ain" ?

That article needs some editing as it waffles far too much and there is a lot of supposition. It could well be true, or a version of it, but an awful lot of guesswork there too.

Millhouse Jul 13th 2015 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11698138)
Hmmmm

"The source said they wanted to reveal the plot because they had become disillusioned with the UAE, principally due to a business dispute that forced them to leave the country at the end of the summer in 2012. "

"the widely held impression that the tiny oil-rich country is a sea of tranquility in a region of turmoil" Only if you have paid no attention and believe the hype.

"emirate of Al Ain" ?

That article needs some editing as it waffles far too much and there is a lot of supposition. It could well be true, or a version of it, but an awful lot of guesswork there too.

I thought it was very old news.

shiva Jul 13th 2015 4:46 pm

“Hamdan didn’t have a cat in hell's chance of taking power,” the source said. “His brothers are far too powerful.”

the same old same old but this bits deadly accurate. MBZ isnt going anywhere anytime soon

alfrombarking Jul 14th 2015 1:11 am

Just read the article

Fascinating to say the least. Hamdan failed on 101 of staging a successful coup. You basically need 3 things

Money
Military
Media

I doubt he had any of the 3Ms

Boomhauer Jul 14th 2015 2:53 am

Originally Posted by alfrombarking (Post 11698749)
Just read the article

Fascinating to say the least. Hamdan failed on 101 of staging a successful coup. You basically need 3 things

Money
Military
Media

I doubt he had any of the 3Ms

and 'Murica.

alfrombarking Jul 14th 2015 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11698786)
and 'Murica.

Indeed even though I wouldnt worry much about the foggy bottom wonks. Just invest in K-Street guys who could easily buy influence with lobbyists as well as media owners=Money

Al Jaz would have been over the moon...media element.

Military front? This pretty much relies on tribal allegiances even though for this sandpit it might be an issue.