Beggars Then....

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:29 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beggars Then....

Originally Posted by Nic1
Yes I know I should use the quote facility - just can't be arsed basically. Will try harder next time

W10 - you do see poverty in Saudi - all over the place.

N
it's not about being 'arsed' or not...either way you will need to do 1 thing, hitting the 'new reply' button or hitting the 'quote' button...so it's not like you need to do extra work for it...
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
it's not about being 'arsed' or not...either way you will need to do 1 thing, hitting the 'new reply' button or hitting the 'quote' button...so it's not like you need to do extra work for it...
Some people like to be arsed...
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

aaaaaah, light bulb goes on in head -thank you.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:32 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

aaaaaah, light bulb goes on in head -thank you.
I can go to sleep happy now...
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by W10
It's been a long day, but I don't have a problem with you...just statements like that....grrr

The Gulf region has one of the biggest gulfs (arf) between rich and poor of anywhere in the world (maybe India...). To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

In the UAE for example - More than half of the population earn a few hundred dollars a month. There are hundreds of thousands of service industry workers crammed 20 to an apartment because it is the only way they can afford anything.

Get caught begging on the streets and you're pretty much in jail, then deported.

If you live in Saudi, then I'm guessing you don't really see it much anyway...compound, work, mall...

Think about the salary maids/cleaners/drivers get paid...you think they are middle class or poor?

Now l've got that off my chest...lets kiss and make up.
Yes, I know, I should have been more specific about what I said.

Mwah, mwah sweetie darling

But am I sensing an anti-Saudi vibe on this site? Different strokes and all that but why move to a country if you really don't like it?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacquie77

But am I sensing an anti-Saudi vibe on this site? Different strokes and all that but why move to a country if you really don't like it?
To screw them for as much tax free money as possible and enjoy the benefits that brings.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really nice

If someone posted about living in England for similar reasons, there would be uproar I'm sure.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Just hit the little arrow thing (to the right of 'quote' and multi-quote') and it automatically quotes the right bit in the reply.

I'm sooooooo tech-savvy.............
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:37 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by The Dean
Just hit the little arrow thing (to the right of 'quote' and multi-quote') and it automatically quotes the right bit in the reply.

I'm sooooooo tech-savvy.............
amongst other things...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacquie77

Those of us here in Saudi on this Board are very much in the minority, only a handful of us. From what I've gleaned on the year or so I've been part of it, is that a lot of other posters have sampled life in Saudi and prefer other countries such as UAE or Bahrain, and from the restrictions in place in Saudi, I can understand why.

But, its a strange country - its not all doom and gloom. THere is a lot of poverty around thinking about it in further detail, and I think about the labourers I see sweeping the roads, doing the gardening working for a pittance - but surely it must be better than conditions in their own country?

I suppose the reality is the same for me. Although I'm not earning huge amounts of money, the conditions are far better for me than they were back in the UK, and we can live more comfortably.

I'm glad I made the move to come out here, trying to look at it from a bigger picture, it's given me a fascinating insight into living in another part of the world. Yes, I'd like to try living in another ME country - possibly Bahrain, but that in the future. Maybe even try living in the Far East. Its given me a taste of what life can be about.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

amongst other things...
Yes............ it's MH I'm baffled by..............
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Those of us here in Saudi on this Board are very much in the minority, only a handful of us. From what I've gleaned on the year or so I've been part of it, is that a lot of other posters have sampled life in Saudi and prefer other countries such as UAE or Bahrain, and from the restrictions in place in Saudi, I can understand why.

But, its a strange country - its not all doom and gloom. THere is a lot of poverty around thinking about it in further detail, and I think about the labourers I see sweeping the roads, doing the gardening working for a pittance - but surely it must be better than conditions in their own country?

I suppose the reality is the same for me. Although I'm not earning huge amounts of money, the conditions are far better for me than they were back in the UK, and we can live more comfortably.

I'm glad I made the move to come out here, trying to look at it from a bigger picture, it's given me a fascinating insight into living in another part of the world. Yes, I'd like to try living in another ME country - possibly Bahrain, but that in the future. Maybe even try living in the Far East. Its given me a taste of what life can be about.
Very thoughtful and worthwhile post, Bantam.........

I must also update my 'Dean's Guide to Saudi Life' which is now very out-of-date........... although as I'm not there any more I'll feel a bit fraudulent doing so.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of the comments re Saudi are tongue in cheek. I'm not anti-Saudi - just find it bloody annoying at times - but no more so than Dubai or Qatar where I've also lived.

N
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

I think some of the comments re Saudi are tongue in cheek.
When I was first looking at the site, I searched for Jeddah and Saudi...I think most of the no-so-positive posts where from a while ago anyway.

I'm not anti-Saudi - just find it bloody annoying at times - but no more so than Dubai or Qatar where I've also lived.

N
Yeah me too, although in a lot of ways I really like it. Since becoming one myself, I've become much more interested in ex-patism; from what I've read, a lot of the things that annoy me here (horrendous driving, no-one queues, mind-numbing bureaucracy etc) annoy other English ex-pats in other countries.

I think I've become even more English since I've come here as well. Or my English-ness has become more apparent!

Nice post Notottmbantam.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:53 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
I must also update my 'Dean's Guide to Saudi Life' which is now very out-of-date........... although as I'm not there any more I'll feel a bit fraudulent doing so.
So what happened and where are you now then? Presumably still around the Arabian Gulf?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.