Beggars Then....

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:11 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beggars Then....

So I was out for lunch when I was approached by an Indian (looking) fellow who started speaking to me in Arabic.

When I replied in English, he started speaking to me in English and started calling me 'My Brother' etc etc, and I said if you need money, then I don't have anything on me. He was very polite and actually quite smartly dressed, he said I only need this medicine for my sick mother, and showed me the medicine packet that he had.

Now if he was telling the truth, then I feel for the guy, but in any case I didn't have cash on me so I had to turn him away.

It could of been the blag of the century, but who knows. I have never given beggars money, but if they look cold and have dog with them (Standard Issue UK Beggar) then If I have some spare, I will get the some hot food and a coffee or something and something for the dog.

I never give money in case they buy drugs or alcohol with it, but it's the first time I have been approached over here, it was near Lamcy Plaza at like 12:30pm.

Bison

Last edited by Bison; Feb 3rd 2009 at 8:16 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beggars Then....

If he had the medicine packet, he's already bought it so don't feel guilty about it.

I've been approached during Ramadan by people asking for money but they don't get any, they can get some off a Muslim as they have to at this time.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:20 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

You were probably right to give him nothing. There are several scam artists hanging around Wafi. One Italian speaking guy trying to sell designer suits from the back of his car has appeared more than once. If your guy was well dressed, he was probably up to no good. Its nice to know that you are prepared to help out a genuine person in distress (with or without his dog) as, but for the grace of God, that could easily one day be you or me.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bison
So I was out for lunch when I was approached by an Indian (looking) fellow who started speaking to me in Arabic.

When I replied in English, he started speaking to me in English and started calling me 'My Brother' etc etc, and I said if you need money, then I don't have anything on me. He was very polite and actually quite smartly dressed, he said I only need this medicine for my sick mother, and showed me the medicine packet that he had.

Now if he was telling the truth, then I feel for the guy, but in any case I didn't have cash on me so I had to turn him away.

It could of been the blag of the century, but who knows. I have never given beggars money, but if they look cold and have dog with them (Standard Issue UK Beggar) then If I have some spare, I will get the some hot food and a coffee or something and something for the dog.

I never give money in case they buy drugs or alcohol with it, but it's the first time I have been approached over here, it was near Lamcy Plaza at like 12:30pm.

Bison
My favourite 'beggar' is the one on the stairs at Leicester Square tube station (he's been there years, same guy, same place).................

............ mobile phone in hand, listening to IPod............ lunchtime he nips off to Pret a Manger to get himself a mozzarella and rocket wrap, or whatever.....
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:51 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

Its nice to know that you are prepared to help out a genuine person in distress (with or without his dog) as, but for the grace of God, that could easily one day be you or me.
I've even helped out at soup kitchens at Christmas.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you ever get the ones who knock on your front gate and show you hideous pictures of their relative who's burnt and maimed ? Some of them have whole photo albums - yuk, I always sent them packing. So I possibly won't get to heavan.

I always buy The Big Issue when in UK . . .

N
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:12 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic1
Do you ever get the ones who knock on your front gate and show you hideous pictures of their relative who's burnt and maimed ? Some of them have whole photo albums - yuk, I always sent them packing. So I possibly won't get to heavan.

I always buy The Big Issue when in UK . . .

N
I quite often give them a quid and tell them not to bother with giving me the big issue, because it's bloody rubbish.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, but if you actually take it you can wave at it at the guy on the next corner who's selling it so he knows you're a nice person really . .
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
You were probably right to give him nothing. There are several scam artists hanging around Wafi. One Italian speaking guy trying to sell designer suits from the back of his car has appeared more than once. If your guy was well dressed, he was probably up to no good. Its nice to know that you are prepared to help out a genuine person in distress (with or without his dog) as, but for the grace of God, that could easily one day be you or me.
That Italian guy approached me twice; once in 2004 and once in 2006...I remembered him but he didnt remember me...
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bison

Bison
Out for lunch...And you didn't have money...Did you also beg for your food???
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
If he had the medicine packet, he's already bought it so don't feel guilty about it.

I've been approached during Ramadan by people asking for money but they don't get any, they can get some off a Muslim as they have to at this time.
Just to politely point out, that The Quran states that money must be given to charity. This can happen at any time, and not just restricted to Ramadan - although modern custom and habit results in many people paying their dues at this time of year.

There are quite a lot of beggars in Saudi, I tend to give whatever small notes I have on me. My step daughter asked an interesting question the other night - if Saudi is such a rich country, why are there so many beggars around?

Perhaps the majority of the wealth is owned by the few?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Jacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really nice

I think it's because many over-stay illegally and then can't get legitimate work. And maybe conditions here are actually better than in their own countries.

But really, the vast majority of people in this country are on the middle of the social scale I would say, with a few very rich and a few very poor.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:55 pm
W10

Do you walk around with your eyes closed?

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think there are far more poor than rich or middle scale to be honest - assuming you are talking about Saudi.

N
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Jacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really nice

Um, no.

That's a bit hostile isn't it?

I was talking about the people who are so poor they have to beg, and have nowhere to live.

ETA: Yes, Nic, Jeddah.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.