British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   before you came to the Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/before-you-came-middle-east-674647/)

Grace O Malley Jun 30th 2010 2:21 pm

before you came to the Middle East

Did you do your own research about living and working out here or use a forum like BE? :rolleyes:

MacScot Jun 30th 2010 2:29 pm

Re: before you came to the Middle East

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8667932)
Did you do your own research about living and working out here or use a forum like BE? :rolleyes:

Definitely used BE 2-years before coming here (Dubai)...lots of advice.

soukie Jun 30th 2010 2:30 pm

No! The internet wasn't around when we first came to the Middle East. We arrived in a "dry" Doha with all our M&S labels cut out (as advised by a friend who had previously worked in Saudi). The rest is history!

Roadking Jun 30th 2010 2:30 pm

No way would I have used this forum, they are a bunch of sarcastic, agressive, nasty know-it-alls.

Now why you asking such stoopid bloody questions, ya silly mare!

Madam Medusa Jun 30th 2010 3:51 pm

did both, used ew and it was actually really helpful...we also did an orientation trip which was great to get a feel for the place...

MM, xx

Millhouse Jun 30th 2010 4:08 pm

several trips and joined a company who I was working with at the time.

The Dean Jun 30th 2010 4:48 pm

Purpose of question please? :confused:

Grace O Malley Jun 30th 2010 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8668215)
Purpose of question please? :confused:

why? Whats confusing?

The Dean Jun 30th 2010 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8668217)
why? Whats confusing?

Nothing. I just wondered why you are asking.

MataHari Jun 30th 2010 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8668220)

why does it matter...it's hardly sensitive information is it.

I've read a lot on EW beforehand, and had 2 trips out here...after the first trip I was sure I could easily live here.
just to add...mr MH got asked to come here by the company he worked for already, so it's not like we chose Dubai specifically.

Grace O Malley Jun 30th 2010 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8668220)

I was just wondering how people decide to come out here. Advice you get on forums like this are mixed, can you make a decision based on advice you get on a forum? What other research do people do..

Does that satisfy your curiosity?

The Dean Jun 30th 2010 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8668227)
why does it matter...it's hardly sensitive information is it.

I've read a lot on EW beforehand, and had 2 trips out here...after the first trip I was sure I could easily live here.

Yes but when I saw the little blue smiley, I assumed there was a hidden intention behind the post.

As you were.

I'll get me coat..............

Patsy Stoned Jun 30th 2010 5:16 pm

I just decided to move here on impluse. Had 2 friends here, I came for a 2 week holiday and decided to move here. No regrets I am still loving it:D
Oh and no research as such.

Jim Smith Jun 30th 2010 6:00 pm

No Internet in 1978 to do searches! My wife and I just decided to give it a shot as an alternative to sitting in London and waiting 36 years to retire from Met Police Telecomms!

Alexa Jun 30th 2010 6:07 pm

No, before coming to Doha I did not even know they existed.When i found out I was going to Saudi (before coming to Doha) I called friend who lived there, she said I would love it, and I did. lol

When I was in Doha for about a month, dyeing of boredom and frustration, a friend recommend some sites...and since I am still in Doha, I am still using those sites.

I lived in 12 countries, always moved where the company sent us, did no research previously. All went well, but I had no kids then, so things were relatively easy.