British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Beard Bip (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/beard-bip-905754/)

mission Nov 12th 2017 10:21 am

Beard Bip

i was just scouting Groupon and came across this and wondered if any of you would be inclined to get one
https://www.groupon.ae/deals/beard-bib-3

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 12th 2017 11:18 am

Re: Beard Bip

It's a fantastic idea if you regularly trim at home.

I don't, I go to the mall but when I do at home and it's longer I'll rip open a carrier bag to catch the worst of the hair.

mission Nov 12th 2017 11:25 am

SCAMP i'll get you one for xmas :)

Miss Ann Thrope Nov 12th 2017 11:49 am

I could do with one for eating. My beard already catches a fair bit of the debris and that often provides a nice little snack later but I could do with salvaging all the bits that end up on my clothes and belly and the floor...

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 12th 2017 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12380308)
SCAMP i'll get you one for xmas :)

You're very kind but don't worry. I get mine trimmed for me. :thumbup:

DXBtoDOH Nov 12th 2017 12:07 pm

Why beards?

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 12th 2017 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12380320)
I could do with one for eating. My beard already catches a fair bit of the debris and that often provides a nice little snack alter but I could do with salvaging all the bits that end up on my clothes and belly and the floor...

I try not to miss my mouth, food's too good to waste....but having a beard means you can relax, knowing you buy yourself at least a few seconds to react and save a missed morsel

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12380332)
Why beards?

How long is your nose hair?

DXBtoDOH Nov 12th 2017 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12380338)
I try not to miss my mouth, food's too good to waste....but having a beard means you can relax, knowing you buy yourself at least a few seconds to react and save a missed morsel

How long is your nose hair?

No. I'm just asking. Why beards? It seems like a lot of work (despite that I can find them very attractive).

And, no, I don't have nose hair.

Miss Ann Thrope Nov 12th 2017 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12380358)
No. I'm just asking. Why beards? It seems like a lot of work (despite that I can find them very attractive).

And, no, I don't have nose hair.

Much less work than shaving every day - get somebody to trim it once every three weeks for 15dhs when going for a head shave anyway. A bit of occasional maintenance with the hedge clippers keeps it in order in between visits..

Irishbeekeeper Nov 12th 2017 3:40 pm

I have half a beard so I guess I can qualify to comment
thats a good idea for anyone who is in a hurry to get the job done
but I like to take my time, put on some music, trim, do some messaging, shave, attend a few phone calls, head shave...you know, it should be treated as an occasion not a task. Yes I do enjoy long steamy baths and yes I do use a lot of facial creams etc. With what God gave me, I HAVE to work extra hard at it you know ;)
And if she is screaming outside that she is dying of diarrhea, well then atleast Ill look good when I order takeaway you know

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2017 3:46 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12380358)

No work at all compared to being clean shaven. MAT sums up my routine below perfectly, apart from the head shave bit.

When I am clean shaven (maybe once in the last year) I just look like a fat 12 year old.

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12380374)
Much less work than shaving every day - get somebody to trim it once every three weeks for 15dhs when going for a head shave anyway. A bit of occasional maintenance with the hedge clippers keeps it in order in between visits..

jam25mack Nov 13th 2017 4:37 am

Haven't had a clean shave in about a decade. Screw doing that every day. Currently rocking a grade one on my head so once a week or so I shave my head and then take the guard off and shave my face. Have another set of clippers for the detail. Occasionally (special occasions) I may go to the barbers and get the edges cut in local style with a cut throat.

Thankfully in the Engineering business it seems there is an unwritten rule that geologists can be scruffy feckers. I take great advantage of that.

DXBtoDOH Nov 13th 2017 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12380678)
No work at all compared to being clean shaven. MAT sums up my routine below perfectly, apart from the head shave bit.

When I am clean shaven (maybe once in the last year) I just look like a fat 12 year old.

But it only takes a few minutes to shave, no? Although I'll take your word about being a fat 12 year old.

I do stretch out the grooming like Irishbeekeeper does. I'm at my pool every morning for laps so I shave afterwards in the changing room, which is posh with massive walk in showers, steam room and sauna, relaxation areas, massive sinks and unlimited towels and I'll be honest and confess that I usually go through 3-4 towels on a typical morning :unsure: Take a nice long hot shower (towel one), then rub some anti chlorine facial wash (towel 2), relax and check emails for ten minutes or so, then wash off face (towel 3), and start shaving but take it slowly. Wash off face and put on after shave soother (towel 4). Most days I'm the only one as it's still quite early. Then cologne and dress and out the door for the cappuccino.

If I ever build a house I'm going to have a big-ass American style bathroom.

Miss Ann Thrope Nov 13th 2017 5:46 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12380692)
Haven't had a clean shave in about a decade. Screw doing that every day. Currently rocking a grade one on my head so once a week or so I shave my head and then take the guard off and shave my face. Have another set of clippers for the detail. Occasionally (special occasions) I may go to the barbers and get the edges cut in local style with a cut throat.

Thankfully in the Engineering business it seems there is an unwritten rule that geologists can be scruffy feckers. I take great advantage of that.

How do you get the home head shave looking decent and even when doing it yourself? Or is there not that much to start with????

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 13th 2017 6:01 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12380692)
Occasionally (special occasions) I may go to the barbers and get the edges cut in local style with a cut throat.

Hahahaha, haven't had that in a long while, look like such a helmet when it's done.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12380709)
But it only takes a few minutes to shave, no? Although I'll take your word about being a fat 12 year old.

I do stretch out the grooming like Irishbeekeeper does. I'm at my pool every morning for laps so I shave afterwards in the changing room, which is posh with massive walk in showers, steam room and sauna, relaxation areas, massive sinks and unlimited towels and I'll be honest and confess that I usually go through 3-4 towels on a typical morning :unsure: Take a nice long hot shower (towel one), then rub some anti chlorine facial wash (towel 2), relax and check emails for ten minutes or so, then wash off face (towel 3), and start shaving but take it slowly. Wash off face and put on after shave soother (towel 4). Most days I'm the only one as it's still quite early. Then cologne and dress and out the door for the cappuccino.

If I ever build a house I'm going to have a big-ass American style bathroom.

Nah, shaving takes a while I think, to do it properly at least.

One thing I do notice though is that my skin underneath does get dry and moisturising a beard (of even very short length) to get through to the skin is painful.