Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Beach sex trial highlights Dubai cultural divide

Old Sep 24th 2008, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beach sex trial highlights Dubai cultural divide

From Reuters............ I've highlighted an interesting bit in bold......

11:04 24Sep08 RTRS-RPT-FEATURE-

By Raissa Kasolowsky and Lin Noueihed

DUBAI, Sept 24 (Reuters) - Sex on the beach or drunken
trysts may not raise eyebrows in many cities, but a recent case
in Dubai has exposed a growing cultural divide between native
Muslims and Western residents seeking fun in the sun.

The story of a British pair facing possible jail terms on
charges of having drunken sex on the beach made headlines around
the world, but in Dubai, reports are frequent of hapless
foreigners falling foul of local laws that strictly control
drinking and ban homosexuality or kissing in public.

Dubai's foreign population has expanded rapidly in recent
years, dwarfing the native population, as the Gulf Arab trade
and tourism hub tries to put itself on the international map
with a promise of tax-free earnings and year-round sunshine.

<<snip>>

If the law changed to suit Westerners, said one Emirati
woman, it would be her who lost her freedom. She already forbids
her daughters from going to Dubai's malls and hotels

"It is up to the person who comes here to be informed," said
the woman, who like most declined to be named on a topic which
they feel is too sensitive to discuss in public.

"If there is an open trading system which draws people from
all over the world, it is not fair to ask why they are not free.
You have to follow the rules of wherever in the world you go."

(Editing by Sara Ledwith)
((Gulf newsroom, +971 4 391 8301,
[email protected]))
Keywords: DUBAI SEX/

Last edited by Bob; Sep 24th 2008 at 7:14 pm. Reason: beyong fair use
Old Sep 24th 2008, 9:33 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beach sex trial highlights Dubai cultural divide

Originally Posted by The Dean
From Reuters............ I've highlighted an interesting bit in bold......

[COLOR="Purple"]11:04 24Sep08 RTRS-RPT-FEATURE-
<<snip>>]
"It is up to the person who comes here to be informed" - never a truer word spoken, and I can see how the locals must get pissed off, but if the country keeps trying to get more and more tourists then it's going to carry on the same way - and if one day something bad happens, worse than going to jail for humping on the beach its going to start scaring people away from Dubai, and then whats going to happen?

Interesting piece mind, and that woman who has banned her kids from the malls, poor kid, saying that if they are strict muslims the last thing you want to see is a couple of russian lasses with belts instead of skirts and their baps hanging out.

Last edited by Bob; Sep 24th 2008 at 7:14 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
"It is up to the person who comes here to be informed" - never a truer word spoken, and I can see how the locals must get pissed off, but if the country keeps trying to get more and more tourists then it's going to carry on the same way - and if one day something bad happens, worse than going to jail for humping on the beach its going to start scaring people away from Dubai, and then whats going to happen?

Interesting piece mind, and that woman who has banned her kids from the malls, poor kid, saying that if they are strict muslims the last thing you want to see is a couple of russian lasses with belts instead of skirts and their baps hanging out.
fails to mention the number of local and other muslims who frequent Dubai's nightspots including such places as the York, Imperial Suites and the Rattlesnake.

Their culture only seems important to them when it suits them. let them ban alcohol and then see what happens to their economy!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree with both posts above!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
fails to mention the number of local and other muslims who frequent Dubai's nightspots including such places as the York, Imperial Suites and the Rattlesnake.

Their culture only seems important to them when it suits them. let them ban alcohol and then see what happens to their economy!
i know, it is extremely selective...they can't have the tourist cash and not the tourist mentality...

geez, even in DIFC, the flagship for the financial market here, there is already, or going to be, a private bar, there are restaurants that sell alcohol...and why, cos they know this is what the western finance companies expect, and they want them here...

as my mum always said, you can't have the penny and the bun...

MM, xx
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:07 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i know, it is extremely selective...they can't have the tourist cash and not the tourist mentality...

geez, even in DIFC, the flagship for the financial market here, there is already, or going to be, a private bar, there are restaurants that sell alcohol...and why, cos they know this is what the western finance companies expect, and they want them here...

as my mum always said, you can't have the penny and the bun...

MM, xx
heh, good old mum, thats a great saying.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:11 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Beach sex trial highlights Dubai cultural divide

Where are these beach sex highlights promised in the threat title? This thread had potential.

The UAE could never go back to more traditional religious values could it? The population balance in so in favour of those who want a more liberal society that any attempts to reverse the progress made would fall on deaf ears.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:12 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Beach sex trial highlights Dubai cultural divide

heh, good old mum, thats a great saying.
If you discount theft and investment as options .
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Oh...... is THAT the reason???? Thanks.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Inselaffen

Those places excuse themselves by banning traditional Arabic dress......

.......... but there's no way a Muslim can be 'banned' from anywhere, at least not officially of course...........

Last edited by The Dean; Sep 24th 2008 at 11:30 am. Reason: spacing
Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Charismatic
The UAE could never go back to more traditional religious values could it? The population balance in so in favour of those who want a more liberal society that any attempts to reverse the progress made would fall on deaf ears.
Do you re-call the Iranian revolution of 1978? If the money dries up anything can happen.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:53 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Thumbs up Re: Beach sex trial highlights Dubai cultural divide

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
Do you re-call the Iranian revolution of 1978? If the money dries up anything can happen.
Good point.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Good point.
If slightly tongue in cheek. I think anything like that here in the short/mid term is quite unlikely - the ruling family is respected and everyone gets a slice of the action.

I am not sure what level of debate over traditional/progressive approaches happens. In Bahrain, for example, the debate is much more visible.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point

Dubai is a confused teenager - everyone's fault but their own ... I say one BOOM and Dubai will return to the sand. Simple as! Similarly, if people are THAT stupid to mess around and plead ignorance then more fool them!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:19 pm
why ayeeeee man!

actualy I got told off today by some older arab bloke, I was in the changing rooms after a swim at teh gym, had my t-shirt and shorts on, I was facing the lockers, whipped my shorts off, t-shirt was still covering most of my arse, and this bloke says 'excuse me, no nudity in here', and I went 'erm ok sorry', went to put my other shorts on and he pointed and said 'no nudity! I can see your ass'.

It was all very odd. I guess I'll use the little private rooms in future, I mean jesus, whya re they so offended, he should have just turned away....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.