British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   BBQ question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bbq-question-620835/)

pauldxb Jul 18th 2009 9:35 am

BBQ question

What is the best way to cook lobster tails on a bbq ? I normally marinade them for 1 hour & then cook them for 5 / 6 mins each side without the shell. A friend suggested keeping the shell on & wrapping them in tin foil & cook them for 10 mins each side.... Any other ideas

Blue Cat Jul 18th 2009 9:37 am

Re: BBQ question

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7763237)
What is the best way to cook lobster tails on a bbq ? I normally marinate them & then cook them for 5 / 6 mins each side without the shell. A friend suggested keeping the shell on & wrapping them in tin foil for 10mins each side.... Any other ideas

invite me over and I will tell you :p

shell on baste with a bit of oil, 3/4 mins each side :)

pauldxb Jul 18th 2009 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7763242)
invite me over and I will tell you :p

shell on baste with a bit of oil, 3/4 mins each side :)

i can still marinade it though right ? just baste with oil before cooking ? I thought you were going to see HSM2

Shadya Jul 18th 2009 9:43 am

Cooking with the shell on is preferable...:thumbup:

BethPageBlack Jul 18th 2009 12:43 pm

I get a lot of jet fresh lobster from my job and I always steam/boil the tails until almost done, then I shell them, roll them around in a bowl of melted butter, then sear them on a charcoal grill for a few minutes, then back into the butter for a second, salt and pepper and serve with steak.

Kim67 Jul 18th 2009 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by BethPageBlack (Post 7763517)
I get a lot of jet fresh lobster from my job and I always steam/boil the tails until almost done, then I shell them, roll them around in a bowl of melted butter, then sear them on a charcoal grill for a few minutes, then back into the butter for a second, salt and pepper and serve with steak.

That's the first sensible thing you've ever said - sounds great.

pauldxb Jul 18th 2009 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by BethPageBlack (Post 7763517)

That does sound nice, how long would you boil them for ?

BethPageBlack Jul 18th 2009 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7763570)

Depending on the size, just a few minutes 4-5, and when you grill them make sure the butter drips into the grill so it flames up..Turn them constantly. I have a garbage size bag full of small australian tails in my garage freezer and when I read this post I took a few out..I'll take pictures of the process

Blue Cat Jul 18th 2009 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7763570)

not long or they go tough :)

BethPageBlack Jul 18th 2009 2:37 pm

Only use sea salt and the best quality ground pepper, and only, and I cannot emphasize this enough- only use butter, not fake butter. Real butter. We get milk from a local farmer so we just skim the cream and churn it (shake it for 1/2 in a jar) to get ours..

Blue Cat Jul 18th 2009 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by BethPageBlack (Post 7763700)
Only use sea salt and the best quality ground pepper, and only, and I cannot emphasize this enough- only use butter, not fake butter. Real butter. We get milk from a local farmer so we just skim the cream and churn it (shake it for 1/2 in a jar) to get ours..

we don't have many cows or local farmers around here :)

pauldxb Jul 18th 2009 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by BethPageBlack (Post 7763700)

Lurpack only im afraid

BethPageBlack Jul 18th 2009 2:56 pm

I did'nt know you could'nt get butter there, is it illegal? It's not going to work without butter. I put those tails back in the freezer, no point showing you how to do it now.

Blue Cat Jul 18th 2009 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by BethPageBlack (Post 7763738)
I did'nt know you could'nt get butter there, is it illegal? It's not going to work without butter. I put those tails back in the freezer, no point showing you how to do it now.

Lurpak is butter!

BethPageBlack Jul 18th 2009 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7763750)
Lurpak is butter!

You get it on The Black Market or something..?