British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   BBC Vids on working lives in Doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bbc-vids-working-lives-doha-782679/)

Kix Jan 6th 2013 7:54 am

BBC Vids on working lives in Doha

Does anyone know anyone of them?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-20431315

They do seem to paint the fact the streets are paved with gold.

No mention of Human Rights or Villagio fire - surprise that!

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 6th 2013 8:09 am

Re: BBC Vids on working lives in Doha

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10466613)
Does anyone know anyone of them?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-20431315

They do seem to paint the fact the streets are paved with gold.

No mention of Human Rights or Villagio fire - surprise that!

Villagio is mentioned in the 'Country Profile' in the timeline of events.

Otherwise I'm busy packing my Dubai case to move to Doha, sounds INCREDIBLE!

co durham boy Jan 6th 2013 11:38 am

Neil Brennan says "He doesn't understand why everyone isn't here "....

Maybe he should ask that to the 19 families of the people that died in the Villaggio or the Filipino maid who was raped by her employer last year and then give birth on a Gulf Air flight and left the child in the bog !

2022 and all that innit !

Alexa Jan 6th 2013 12:26 pm

See, the thing with Qatar is this :
Yes, pretty much everything is available here. food, local and imported, beaches, glittery high rises, large villas, parks, several shopping centers, very up market designer shops , restaurants etc, etc.
So people read this and think "Oh my, this must be a fabulous place. and yes, Qatar is a bit more fab than many other places....
BUT, what they do not mention is this...they rape your wallet with the prices they charge, things are of minor quality. The beaches are crap...and you have to know when you can actually go there without being bothered because you wear a bathing suit.
The parks, well, sure you can go there...but there is a dress code (Aspire)which apparently changes on a daily basis. Other parks, if you do not mind garbage everywhere and only being allowed as "a family"...
And I won't even start on the daily misery you see when you look at workers and certain maids....
Then the roads..yes, of course there are reasonably good roads here...IF and when they are open ,and if you do not mind the daily suicide mission.
As you see, everything is available and it is up to you with how much shite you are willing to put up. My shite bucket is almost overflowing by now.
And you know what else, it's great if you are very happy here, good for you. But my priorities are different from yours. So if you ask me about this place you will get my view, like it or not, but show a little respect to me by not acting as if you are right and I am deluded/negative.
I respect your view, albeit only a few weeks/days/months/ hours old, respect mine too.
Oh, and just to let you know, when I came to the ME, about 12 years ago, I pretty much felt like you do now.;)

Alexa Jan 6th 2013 12:43 pm

There was another vid not too long ago, about some American family here. Can't find the link now...that one defo took the crown of being the most ridiculous. Imagine this...they were showing vast green areas with no one around, they were clean too. The roads were empty...not a car in sight. Those people were on about how wonderful the drive to work and school is, how fabulous the work environment, and how really great the schools are here.
Oh, and they love the concrete jungle that is called "The Pearl".
Beat that! :rofl:

dubaiguy2011 Jan 6th 2013 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 10466901)
See, the thing with Qatar is this :
Yes, pretty much everything is available here. food, local and imported, beaches, glittery high rises, large villas, parks, several shopping centers, very up market designer shops , restaurants etc, etc.
So people read this and think "Oh my, this must be a fabulous place. and yes, Qatar is a bit more fab than many other places....
BUT, what they do not mention is this...they rape your wallet with the prices they charge, things are of minor quality. The beaches are crap...and you have to know when you can actually go there without being bothered because you wear a bathing suit.
The parks, well, sure you can go there...but there is a dress code (Aspire)which apparently changes on a daily basis. Other parks, if you do not mind garbage everywhere and only being allowed as "a family"...
And I won't even start on the daily misery you see when you look at workers and certain maids....
Then the roads..yes, of course there are reasonably good roads here...IF and when they are open ,and if you do not mind the daily suicide mission.
As you see, everything is available and it is up to you with how much shite you are willing to put up. My shite bucket is almost overflowing by now.
And you know what else, it's great if you are very happy here, good for you. But my priorities are different from yours. So if you ask me about this place you will get my view, like it or not, but show a little respect to me by not acting as if you are right and I am deluded/negative.
I respect your view, albeit only a few weeks/days/months/ hours old, respect mine too.
Oh, and just to let you know, when I came to the ME, about 12 years ago, I pretty much felt like you do now.;)

This just made me spit my tea all over my desk hahahahaha :rofl:

:goodpost: