Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

BBC Licence Fee Could By Cut

BBC Licence Fee Could By Cut

Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:45 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Licence Fee Could By Cut

Originally Posted by The Dean
I am forced to subscribe to the BBC, even if I don't want to watch it.
And a bloody good thing too. Television is far too powerful and influential a medium to be allowed to be driven even further into the gutter by market forces alone. The idea of a neocon nutcase like Murdoch having even more influence than he does now is terrifying.

It's somewhat depressing that the BBC can be so widely respected and admired around the world, where it is often held up as a beacon of what broadcasting should be, while a small but growing minority in the UK can't see beyond £145 per year to ensure that television and radio of at least some degree of quality and diversity, free from downmarket commercial imperatives and interfering owners with an agenda, continues to be made... and yet an awful lot of those people who begrudge £145 per year are seemingly happy to pay around £600 per year to Sky for hundreds of channels full of utter ad-ridden shit.

Choice, you say? Oh yes, choice... Fry and Laurie did an excellent sketch about choice in broadcasting. Make sure you watch to the end:

Old Jul 19th 2010, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Licence Fee Could By Cut

Originally Posted by The Dean
Why would becoming a subscription and/or advertising channel (a la Sky) detract from the BBC's 'quality'? "Well, because the advertisers would determine what sort of programmes are shown, they would try to influence editorial policy, etc" is the usual response. I've never followed that argument - perhaps someone can enlighten me.

And I'm still waiting for someone to explain why I should be forced to give money to Sainsbury's when Tesco's are offering food free of charge.
Receiving a huge amoutn of money from a company would prevent you from offendign that company in the future. Neglectign to mention that their food was tainted with dogshit for example. Or that they pumped all their waste products of their factory into the nearby lake. Or that they force their employees to work overtime.

Everyone knows that Tesco's food is a bunch of dogcrap compared to Sainsbury's. Everyone knows Sky TV progrtamming is a bunch of dogcrap compared to the BBC.