BBC Article on Dubai

Old Jun 17th 2013, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Article on Dubai

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I agree. Actually, I concur--I'm feeling all Ripley-ish today.

It boils down to this.

There are supercilious, racist, bigoted arseholes everywhere. Some are monied, some aren't.

Some--perhaps many--people are instantly spoiled by sudden (comparative) wealth. In most places you don't come across many people who have suddenly become wealthy, in Dubai you do. And they tend to stand out from the crowd because of the very traits they reveal.
But just how 'wealthy' are these Dubaians you refer to? I know a number of people who barely earned 'average' money back home, then came out here and got it right (e.g. treating the tax-free difference between UK and Dubai take-home numbers as an opportunity to save or invest, not to buy a second car for Mrs and jet skis for their little angels Chlamydia, 10, and Euthanasia, 8) but there are plenty more who screwed it up big-time, even in the so-called boom years.

Assets, not cash, are the true measure of wealthy people.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

No, no: it's whether a Jaffa cake is a cake or a biscuit. That one went to court.

I can't remember the last time I came across a toilet outside of the UK or Japan where the loo roll holder is actually in an ergonomic position. I invariably take the roll of its holder and place it between my feet.

And does any, seriously, care about front or back?
It's not 'front' or 'back' - I just hate those stupid metal lids that sit on top of the roll on the holder........... what IS the point of them, other than to tear the sheets in the wrong place?
Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:52 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
It's not 'front' or 'back' - I just hate those stupid metal lids that sit on top of the roll on the holder........... what IS the point of them, other than to tear the sheets in the wrong place?
Especially if they're mounted at willy height and you've had a pint or eight...
Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:54 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
But just how 'wealthy' are these Dubaians you refer to? I know a number of people who barely earned 'average' money back home, then came out here and got it right (e.g. treating the tax-free difference between UK and Dubai take-home numbers as an opportunity to save or invest, not to buy a second car for Mrs and jet skis for their little angels Chlamydia, 10, and Euthanasia, 8) but there are plenty more who screwed it up big-time, even in the so-called boom years.

Assets, not cash, are the true measure of wealthy people.
That's just what I said--"relative" wealth. The plenty who screw it up (who are probably in the minority) stand out, because shy, retiring types like you and me don't stand out in a crowd. Well, you do, but you know what I mean...
Old Jun 18th 2013, 4:35 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Eva
Can't be arsed to read all the crapola that has gone b4, however,your reference to Mr Ripley...is
Matt Damon yes?
A correct and, if I may say, talented deduction.

However, I'm talking (or alluding) bollox. I got The Talented Mr. Ripley confused with Catch Me If You Can. Doh. So your choice: Damon or DiCaprio.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:11 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

So your choice: Damon or DiCaprio.
Watched them last night in the Departed. Great film and DiCaprio is by far the better actor.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 10:12 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

A correct and, if I may say, talented deduction.

However, I'm talking (or alluding) bollox. I got The Talented Mr. Ripley confused with Catch Me If You Can. Doh. So your choice: Damon or DiCaprio.
I wanted to choose Damon however Shutter Island sealed the deal.
X
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
I wanted to choose Damon however Shutter Island sealed the deal.
X
He's been brilliant since 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape?'