Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Bateux Dubai Dinner Cruise

Bateux Dubai Dinner Cruise

Old Dec 7th 2015, 3:39 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bateux Dubai Dinner Cruise

I have never done one of these dinners on a boat that sails from the Creek or Marina. There are a lot of deals come through for less than 100 dits per person which makes me wonder about the 'quality' of the experience.
Anyone been on a decent one, preferably from the Marina?
Old Dec 7th 2015, 3:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Bateux Dubai Dinner Cruise

Originally Posted by mikewot
I have never done one of these dinners on a boat that sails from the Creek or Marina. There are a lot of deals come through for less than 100 dits per person which makes me wonder about the 'quality' of the experience.
Anyone been on a decent one, preferably from the Marina?
No, sorry.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 3:53 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
No, sorry.
No you have not done one or no you have never been on a quality one?
Old Dec 7th 2015, 4:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mikewot
No you have not done one or no you have never been on a quality one?
No and therefore, no. Sorry.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Bateux is the best of a bad bunch, if that makes sense.

Food is very ordinary. The creek cruise itself is eh. Nothing you can't see from an abra.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The 100dh ones are utter utter shite. I've done one or two, and they are terrible.

The one run by Jebal Ali Hotels (The Bateaux Dubai) is by far the best one, and is generally acceptable. But I didn't really enjoy it as you're stuck inside the boat mostly and all you do is chug up to Festival City and back.

Oh, and I lost my wallet on that boat ride.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 8:25 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Did one with the family several years ago. They had misgivings when I announced the trip, which were justly founded. Very average food. Bugger all to see. Crap toilets. Poor service. Uncomfortable. Many children with badly-behaved parents. Avoid.

Edit to say that this may not have been Bateaux Dubai: the one we went on was from the creek, with tickets through Explorer (Adventurer? never can remember the name) or Groupon.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 9:07 am
Just Joined

init2winit02 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was looking to do this in February, do you mind sharing where you are seeing these deals?

I'm seeing £66 per adult which seems steep especially given the experience highlighted above! -> Bateaux Dubai Dinner Cruise | ATD
Old Dec 7th 2015, 11:38 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Just google "Dubai Creek dinner cruise" and you'll see loads of info. Some start at just Dhs 60 but for good reason.

Suggest you cross-reference with Trip Adviser but before taking a review as a good indicator check where the reviewer is from. People from different countries have different expectation. That said, one review talks about on board entertainment (shudder) and this dhow apparently had "puppet fights". Unusual!

Last edited by Meow; Dec 7th 2015 at 11:41 am.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by init2winit02
I was looking to do this in February, do you mind sharing where you are seeing these deals?
https://www.cobone.com/en/deals/dubai
https://www.groupon.ae/
All Deals | Dubai, Sharjah, AbuDhabi Daily Deals | Hit The Deals
Discounts and Deals | Massage Offers | Desert Safari | Spa deals | Massage Deals | Products upto 70 % Discount in UAE online Shopping !! | خصومات-خصومات وعروض ,كوبونات خصم, خصومات يوميه في الامارات, خ�
YallaBanana.com: Laser hair reduction. AED 49. Multiple vouchers allowed
Old Dec 7th 2015, 3:23 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, this brings back memories. I went on the Bateaux Dubai in 2007 with my wife and parents when they visited. We were told in no uncertain terms to get there at so-and-so a time (7pm I think) or the boat would leave without us, so I panicked like hell trying to get us all from Springs to the creek in a taxi at that time of night (the usual traffic hell heading towards Sharjah). We got there, just...but then waited an hour for everyone to turn up, so we panicked for nothing...the usual mentaility of Insha'allah was at play. Punctuality was not important to most people there. The cruise was shorter than it was meant to be in the end, and we arrived back just as the meal finished. Food was OK, as I remember.