Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Which bastard stole all the ampersands?

Which bastard stole all the ampersands?

Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:44 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Which bastard stole all the ampersands?

This from today's Oil & Gas Journal:

"BP starts collecting oil, gas from blowout well in gulf"

OK, in some--very limited--instances the substitution of a comma for "and" or an ampersand makes sense, but the wholesale use of the comma in the context is ****ing nonsense. And there was absolutely no point in "saving" one space in the above headline.

Is it only me?

As Goethe said: Everything is both simpler than we can imagine and more entangled than we can conceive.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:11 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which bastard stole all the ampersands?

These guys ?

Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:16 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&

Is that enough ya big woofter? Next you'll be wearing pink shirts!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
This from today's Oil & Gas Journal:

"BP starts collecting oil, gas from blowout well in gulf"

OK, in some--very limited--instances the substitution of a comma for "and" or an ampersand makes sense, but the wholesale use of the comma in the context is ****ing nonsense. And there was absolutely no point in "saving" one space in the above headline.

Is it only me?

As Goethe said: Everything is both simpler than we can imagine and more entangled than we can conceive.
Never use an ampersand in text. Even "Oil & Gas Journal" doesn't sound quite right.............

The comma to save space in headlines is a widespread journo device, but "and" is still better when there's room.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:26 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&

And what the f&&k's wrong with this?

Which bastard stole all the ampersands?-pink.jpg
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Attachment 93482
That outfit could do with a few ampersands..............
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:39 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Attachment 93482
How did you get a hold of my Bangla Rd Marathon outfit????
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:53 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by TGFKASE View Post
How did you get a hold of my Bangla Rd Marathon outfit????
I wondered why it was smothered in vaseline.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:55 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
Never use an ampersand in text. Even "Oil & Gas Journal" doesn't sound quite right.............

The comma to save space in headlines is a widespread journo device, but "and" is still better when there's room.
From The Economist Style Guide:

Ampersands should be used:
(1) when they are part of the name of a company:
AT&T, Pratt & Whitney;
(2) for such things as constituencies where two names are linked to form one unit:
The rest of Brighouse & Spenborough joins with the Batley part of Batley & Morley to form Batley & Spen.
The area thus became the Pakistani province of Kashmir and the Indian state of Jammu & Kashmir;
(3) in R&D and S&L.

I personally have no idea what S&L is and Google didn't help. Perhaps they meant S&M?
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:04 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by ctfc View Post

AT&T, Pratt & Whitney;
(2) for such things as constituencies where two names are linked to form one unit:
The rest of Brighouse & Spenborough joins with the Batley part of Batley & Morley to form Batley & Spen.
The area thus became the Pakistani province of Kashmir and the Indian state of Jammu & Kashmir;
(3) in R&D and S&L.

I personally have no idea what S&L is and Google didn't help. Perhaps they meant S&M?
Somehow journalists and style don't sit well in the same sentence.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AT&T, Pratt & Whitney;
(3) in R&D and S&L.

"S & L"? "Savings and Loans" - the US equivalent of our building societies.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:38 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

AT&T, Pratt & Whitney;
(3) in R&D and S&L.

Single & Looking on dating forums or personal ads...
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:41 pm
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by Roadking View Post

or pink t-shirts

Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:45 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
"S & L"? "Savings and Loans" - the US equivalent of our building societies.
Originally Posted by MacScot View Post
Single & Looking on dating forums or personal ads...
I still think S&M sounds more fun ?
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:47 pm
A bubbly-jock...

I still think S&M sounds more fun ?
I think you need a good