Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Barracuda Booze Run Bandits...

Barracuda Booze Run Bandits...

Old May 18th 2009, 7:51 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barracuda Booze Run Bandits...

Originally Posted by Sky Blue
Cant really comment on Ginge as wasnt my point, my point is that I wouldnt go around using the word paki, as I feel that it is a term that is outdated and has alternate meaning, not just a term to describe a populous of a country... End of.
Which is kinda the point the 2 Scots on the board are trying to point back at you...

Sweaty, Jock etc fall into exactly that, under your thinking.... Yet you quite happily use it...

Pot... kettle...?
Old May 18th 2009, 7:52 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
Oh dear... even Jim Davidson knows that saying 'paki' is liable to upset people. Relying on anecdotal evidence to support a claim is very wobbly.

Good advice banter... thanks.
Thats because Jim Davidson has made his money from racist comedy...

Remember Chalky???
Old May 18th 2009, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I think the litmus test is if you go up to someone who is of Pakistani origin, maybe in Glasgee and call him/her a "Paki"... Would they be offended? - Having many friends of Pakistani origins ( I lived in Pollockshaws, FFS!!!), I would have to say 'No, the would not'... WEll I disagree maybe in the south people are a bunch of softies but if i went round calling people Pakis I don't think they would be too impressed

Jock is a term for all those people born in Scotland or who are descended from Scottish people... Scot/s/tish, I believe, is the accepted term for people lucky enough to either be born in Scotland or who are descended from Scottish bloodlines... or a common man of scotland/slang for scotsman -
There is a Division named the jocks in the British Army... Nope, there ain't. Closest there is would be the 2nd Division, 51st Brigade. This includes 1st, 2nd and 3rd Scots and the 3rd Rifles..you got me there

Would I be offended if anyone came up to me and called me a Sweaty? Yes, I would... So if i called your mates a Paki they would be fine, but if I called them a Sweaty they would get all upset????

Thats strange!

1 - You've answered your own question, or is possible that the English are perceived as inherently racist?

2 - It was British Army slang for Scots people, due to the fact that most people christened John in Scotland are called Jock, by their fellow Scots...

3 - Point closed...

Depends if my mate was a Hamilton Accie or not... Either way, an Englishman using any of the 'terms of endearment' you have mentioned on a Scot, be he white or brown, he would be pretty upset...

PS.. Googled terms of endearment. I found dear, darling, lover etc... No sweaty...

1. Not really just seems strange that all of your "Paki" friends find being called a Sweaty worse than being called a paki..

2. Scots/Jock - British Army slang/Scottish slang - I think its slang without any other sinister, meaning so where is the issue?

3. Well in future I shall not use the word "Sweaty" as I do not like to offend the Picts, Gaels, Brythons, Bernician Angles, Norsemen etc...

Ok well why dont you if all is well and good with the use of this term start a thread on each BE message bored across the world entitled "Paki" - Lets gauge the reaction...
Old May 18th 2009, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Which is kinda the point the 2 Scots on the board are trying to point back at you...

Sweaty, Jock etc fall into exactly that, under your thinking.... Yet you quite happily use it...

Pot... kettle...?
Well I just answered that - If "Sweaty" is not a phrase to be used then I shallnt use it...

But you still think taking out any offence those words I may have used in the past in error may have caused, that using the word "paki" is ok?

This is my point...
Old May 18th 2009, 7:57 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Well I just answered that - If "Sweaty" is not a phrase to be used then I shallnt use it...

But you still think taking out any offence those words I may have used in the past in error may have caused, that using the word "paki" is ok?

This is my point...
it's not ok, neither is chinky or flipper (which I have heard people called philipinos as well), this isn't the PC brigade, it's offensive so you shouldn't use it, well in my opinion anyway.

If I went to Scotland and called some lad a Sweaty I think it's fair to say I'd get a smack in the mooth as well.
Old May 18th 2009, 8:00 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

This is my point...
You don't get it.. Its not the word, its who is using it...

Take the US... Black guys can call themselves nigger, non-black friends of black guys (and I mean REALLY good friends) can use the same word. Call a black guy you don't know, and you are in for a whole world of pain...

At the end of the day, its just a word....
Old May 18th 2009, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
it's not ok, neither is chinky or flipper (which I have heard people called philipinos as well), this isn't the PC brigade, it's offensive so you shouldn't use it, well in my opinion anyway.

If I went to Scotland and called some lad a Sweaty I think it's fair to say I'd get a smack in the mooth as well.
LOL but you can call me a dirty arab I dont mind - (now I am hiding before the PC brigade come on me )
Old May 18th 2009, 8:01 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Spugsy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I think the litmus test is if you go up to someone who is of Pakistani origin, maybe in Glasgee and call him/her a "Paki"... Would they be offended? - Having many friends of Pakistani origins ( I lived in Pollockshaws, FFS!!!), I would have to say 'No, the would not'... WEll I disagree maybe in the south people are a bunch of softies but if i went round calling people Pakis I don't think they would be too impressed

Jock is a term for all those people born in Scotland or who are descended from Scottish people... Scot/s/tish, I believe, is the accepted term for people lucky enough to either be born in Scotland or who are descended from Scottish bloodlines... or a common man of scotland/slang for scotsman -
There is a Division named the jocks in the British Army... Nope, there ain't. Closest there is would be the 2nd Division, 51st Brigade. This includes 1st, 2nd and 3rd Scots and the 3rd Rifles..you got me there

Would I be offended if anyone came up to me and called me a Sweaty? Yes, I would... So if i called your mates a Paki they would be fine, but if I called them a Sweaty they would get all upset????

Thats strange!

1 - You've answered your own question, or is possible that the English are perceived as inherently racist?

2 - It was British Army slang for Scots people, due to the fact that most people christened John in Scotland are called Jock, by their fellow Scots...

3 - Point closed...

Depends if my mate was a Hamilton Accie or not... Either way, an Englishman using any of the 'terms of endearment' you have mentioned on a Scot, be he white or brown, he would be pretty upset...

PS.. Googled terms of endearment. I found dear, darling, lover etc... No sweaty...

1. Not really just seems strange that all of your "Paki" friends find being called a Sweaty worse than being called a paki..

2. Scots/Jock - British Army slang/Scottish slang - I think its slang without any other sinister, meaning so where is the issue?

3. Well in future I shall not use the word "Sweaty" as I do not like to offend the Picts, Gaels, Brythons, Bernician Angles, Norsemen etc...

Ok well why dont you if all is well and good with the use of this term start a thread on each BE message bored across the world entitled "Paki" - Lets gauge the reaction...
My heads sore, and there is now a big hole in the wall of my office.....

I give up....
Old May 18th 2009, 8:02 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by banter64
LOL but you can call me a dirty arab I dont mind - (now I am hiding before the PC brigade come on me )
But only if he said it with a twinkle in his eye, and just that certain way.....
Old May 18th 2009, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Someone called me X and I didn't like it, so I will call people Y.
Old May 18th 2009, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

You don't get it.. Its not the word, its who is using it...

Take the US... Black guys can call themselves nigger, non-black friends of black guys (and I mean REALLY good friends) can use the same word. Call a black guy you don't know, and you are in for a whole world of pain...

At the end of the day, its just a word....
Well I think you just got it - Using it on a message bored to describe a group of people, you dont know by the way, is not acceptable...
Old May 18th 2009, 8:04 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Well I think you just got it - Using it on a message bored to describe a group of people, you dont know by the way, is not acceptable...
So explain the usage of the word Sweaty??

No, no... I said I give up....

Forget it, the whole just got bigger....
Old May 18th 2009, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

But only if he said it with a twinkle in his eye, and just that certain way.....
LOL
Old May 18th 2009, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

My heads sore, and there is now a big hole in the wall of my office.....

I give up....
Good - You are starting to annoy me!!!
Old May 18th 2009, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

So explain the usage of the word Sweaty??

No, no... I said I give up....

Forget it, the whole just got bigger....
Well I have only used in the company of my friends from Scotland and they didnt mind but that was through pure ignorance, now after being advised of its sinister meaning I for one will not ever use it again...

I think my initial mistake made was trying to make flipant remarks whilst making a serious point...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.